Anyone Remember Ames?

Roundybout

I skimmed this thread, so I apologize if it was already mentioned, but I have memories of Ames from when I was very young. I remember there being complimentary bags of popcorn to help yourself to while shopping. I loved going there as a kid for the popcorn while my Mom was shopping.

That was probably one of the Hills stores that Ames bought. I remember they had small snack bars when you first walked in.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was probably one of the Hills stores that Ames bought. I remember they had small snack bars when you first walked in.

Ahhh yes, that does sound right. The specific store I was thinking of was on Union Rd in West Seneca. As far as I know, it's still sitting empty.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode my bike to the Ames on Grand Island Blvd. many a time as a child, it was next to Fay's Drug Store across the plaza from Video Factory.

I remember getting a copy of "Hardball II" for my PC for $10 because it was mismarked. Fun game and you could make your own team which was unusual for the time, the problem was the player attributes were derived from the stats the player had already achieved so if you created a brand-new team with no stats at all you had a team of guys who could barely get the ball out of the infield.

I'm sure I had many many things from that Ames as it was the only pseudo department store on the Island. Trapper Keepers, hats and gloves, baseball cards, etc.

I do distinctly remember going to Mesmer's Dairy to buy Garbage Pail Kids though. Ames didn't have them. :-)

Wow. Small world.

I'm also originally from Webster and did the exact same thing. Cruising on up to the Ames store on my kick-ass Schwinn, to check out toys and sporting goods.

Were you around when the Ames store was first a "Big N"?

How about the Star Market (Then Apples) next door?

hell yes i remember. i grew up in webster ny which is a suburb of rochester. i would ride my bite to that bad boy and just look at nonsense.