It's Hard To Win In The NFL

H2o

Ask him next time you see him in hall between classes and let us know if all of the kids in your school are truly clueless.

Schwartz was also formerly the head coach of the NFL's Detroit Lions.

He was HC in Detroit and DC in Tennessee, I got my wires crossed, either way he didn't exactly shine in his first HC job.

Im not going to say that Whaley was sabatoging RR.....but the fact is the last two drafts a lot of these picks are interchangable with what the incoming coaching staff wants to do.

Lawson - This guy had to be converted in order to be a LB in RR's scheme.....what he is actually is a true DE in a 4/3 scheme

Marcel and Meatball go back to what they do best

Ditto other DE.....stats much better prior to RR

Ragland.....I dont care what anybody says....he is a guy that can play either scheme

...hard to win in the NFL?....appears Pats and Steelers never got the memo.....but still managed ELEVEN Lombardis combined............

That's my point though. The continuity within those organizations. The Steelers have had 3 coaches in their history. Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Mike Tomlin. The Pats went from Parcells, to Pete Carroll(who went on to win a SB with Seattle), to Bill Belichick. The Steelers GM, Kevin Colbert, has been there for 18 years. The Pats had Pioli for 9 years and Bill has always had his hand in personnel decision. Rooney and Kraft have both been committed to winning. It takes all facets working together to build and sustain a winning environment. It also doesn't hurt to have a few HOF QB's that helped to get those rings.

Continuity is important. It allows you to keep progressing. Trouble is, you have to get an awful lot of the right pieces in place, before it becomes an option.

You need to get a solid GM, who understands what his HC wants, and needs. You also require a good HC, and the rest of his staff.

Then you need time to build.

The Bills aren't currently, staring down desperation alley, as they do have talent on the roster. McDermott might just be the HC we have been looking for, well, since Levy (Phillips might have been able, had not the old guard decided to interfere - he was certainly the best HC we had since Levy).

Whaley, I believe, is actually a 'solid' GM, and I'd also say that one of the things he has tried to do, is to accommodate the succession of HCs he has been lumbered with.

Maybe the two Ryan years, will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, as it got Ownership to realize where they went wrong in their first hire, and listened more to their GM than their guts, when making their second.

You don't have to have the 'franchise' QB to win in the NFL, but it sure does make it a lot easier. We can, and have, won with Taylor, and his rather unique skillset, means he could be the guy who can help get us back to contending, assuming he makes improvements. His ball security is excellent atm, but where he does need to get much better, is in getting rid of the football, as there are times he gets sacked, when he should be throwing it away. Those negative plays, are a big part of not being able to keep drives going.

As the old adage says, 'it all starts up front', and in that respect, we aren't badly off, at all, with the whole of the O-Line returning, and a D-Line that is also going to be coming back, and coming back to a system they were meant to play.

Due to the amount of talent on the roster, I think it's safe to say we are in 're-boot' rather than 'rebuild' mode, and I believe it's something that McDermott and his coaches think also. Taylor is almost certainly a 'bridging' QB, but one with which we can win. I think that they are 'comfortable' with what Taylor brings to the table, and that they can get the team back to being a more consistent winner, with him, while still trying to find a QB for the longer term.

We do, however, still need to find that 'franchise' QB, as ultimately, while you can be consistently challenging for playoffs without one, you cannot build a 'dynasty' if you don't have one.

I'm far more optimistic about the coming season, than I was for last year, the Pegulas threw Ryan off the boat just in time to allow this coaching staff an opportunity to get said boat turned around, without excessive upheaval.

That's my point though. The continuity within those organizations. The Steelers have had 3 coaches in their history. Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Mike Tomlin. The Pats went from Parcells, to Pete Carroll(who went on to win a SB with Seattle), to Bill Belichick. The Steelers GM, Kevin Colbert, has been there for 18 years. The Pats had Pioli for 9 years and Bill has always had his hand in personnel decision. Rooney and Kraft have both been committed to winning. It takes all facets working together to build and sustain a winning environment. It also doesn't hurt to have a few HOF QB's that helped to get those rings.

.....and an excellent point...throw in the Packers for good measure.....as you said, it starts with non-meddling supportive ownership (Niners with DeBartolo, Policy & Walsh also comes to mind)......all of the pieces have to mesh.....Pioli moved on to KC and his tenure there was not that successful...Dimitrof moved on to Atlanta and has been successful (Pioli now works for him).....Policy landing in Cleveland was a non-starter...."clicking on ALL cylinders" is the key.....all of these organizations have bonafide football people running football operations....look at OBD's patchwork FO administration through the drought.....NON-football people making a feeble attempt to run football operations....RESULT?.....you know the rest....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Right on, it's hard to win in the NFL. Especially using other teams backup QBs.

QB driven league maybe someday OBD will learn this.

Corrected.

Cheaters got the Comish on their side so getting caught is hard to do.