Bills have drafted 5 QBs since Kelly retired...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread/topic comes up every year at exactly 3-4 weeks b4 the draft, and there's a point to be made, but its misleading

Because as other have pointed out if you trade a first round draft pick for a Bledsoe and or Johnson its the same thing as drafting

Ditto singing a QB as a FA such as Fitz or TT

So with the excellent info provided after, in fact our Bills have used picks, trades, FA signings of QB's no more or less than other teams

The idea that our Bills don't bring in new QB's has been essentially debunked

As for the idea of using a draft pick every year until you hit, I've always thought this idea was beyond silly, because while you are continuously drafting QB's, all the other teams you compete against are using their picks to build much stronger rosters

Lets take a look between the Jets and the Steelers, Pitt has only used one pick on a QB in the Ben years, a 4th rounder in Landry, while the Jets use a high pick virtual every 2nd year, no wonder the Steelers are continually building a better roster

Just saying....

jc

Bottom line with me is Whaley swings for the fence too much in the draft --- and misses. Just look at his drafts. And I believe the draft provides the foundation to the house.

His record there could be better I agree but it certainly isn't the worst in the league in that period and he is now drafting for his 3rd Head Coach, 4th (really 5th because Rob Ryan did the job last year) DC and 4th OC. That doesn't help.

This thread/topic comes up every year at exactly 3-4 weeks b4 the draft, and there's a point to be made, but its misleading

Because as other have pointed out if you trade a first round draft pick for a Bledsoe and or Johnson its the same thing as drafting

Ditto singing a QB as a FA such as Fitz or TT

So with the excellent info provided after, in fact our Bills have used picks, trades, FA signings of QB's no more or less than other teams

The idea that our Bills don't bring in new QB's has been essentially debunked

As for the idea of using a draft pick every year until you hit, I've always thought this idea was beyond silly, because while you are continuously drafting QB's, all the other teams you compete against are using their picks to build much stronger rosters

Lets take a look between the Jets and the Steelers, Pitt has only used one pick on a QB in the Ben years, a 4th rounder in Landry, while the Jets use a high pick virtual every 2nd year, no wonder the Steelers are continually building a better roster

Just saying....

jc

Signing a backup QB is the same as using a 1st round pick on a QB? No.

Since the Bills haven't spent many draft picks on QB's where is this great roster?

Edited by jeffismagic

Bottom line with me is Whaley swings for the fence too much in the draft --- and misses. Just look at his drafts. And I believe the draft provides the foundation to the house.

Entirely disagree.......too much drafting for need instead of BPA......which is far from swinging for the fences......more like trying to plug the dyke while more leaks keep forming.

Well, we need a WR= Bob Woods

Well, we need a RT = Kujo

....................... LB = Preston Brown

........................ G = John Miller

.......................OLB = Shaq

........................ILB = Ragnuts

That's a lot of meh for that many early picks......in each case they were kinda' reachy....... seemigly low-ceiling picks.......there for a reason.

Edited by #BADOL

Entirely disagree.......too much drafting for need instead of BPA......which is far from swinging for the fences......more like trying to plug the dyke while more leaks keep forming.

Well, we need a WR= Bob Woods

Well, we need a RT = Kujo

....................... LB = Preston Brown

........................ G = John Miller

.......................OLB = Shaq

........................ILB = Ragnuts

That's a lot of meh for that many early picks......in each case they were kinda' reachy....... seemigly low-ceiling picks.......there for a reason.

^this...drafting for need is often a sucker bet. Stock your roster with good football players, focusing primarily on premium positions, and worry about needs in FA.

^this...drafting for need is often a sucker bet. Stock your roster with good football players, focusing primarily on premium positions, and worry about needs in FA.

And I agree with that though I disagree with Badol on Shaq and I still quite like the Miller pick (which I don't think was a reach even though it is hard to argue it wasn't a need pick).

1996-2016

Cardale Jones, Rd 4 2016

EJ Manuel, Rd 1 2013

Levi Brown, Rd 7 2010

Trent Edwards, Rd 3 2007

JP Losman, Rd 1 2001

How pathetic, if you don't try you will never find a QB.

Only 2 in the first round.

That's crazy... Definitely not enough focus put on the QB position.

But, just looking at the last few years with our current GM - 2 of these drafted since Whaley took over.

2 in 4 years seems about average, no? What's the average around the NFL for a GM? I doubt it's realistic to draft one ever year. Teams seem to like giving their drafted QBs a chance before drafting another (except for the Jets maybe).

Yep, that's the way the Bills do it. They stock the roster with clunkers. All the way to 30-34.

Sorry, I disagree, the majority of QB's drafted, play the role of a backup QB, so signing one in FA, especially a high profile one like a Doug Flutie and or a Fitz, is very much the same thing as drafting a Cardale Jones, or a Hackenberg

So is trading a first round draft pick for a QB as we did with Bledsoe and or Johnson, which the OP didn't mention, sorry but this thread as it evolved debunked the idea our Bills have not focused on the QB position, they have, in their own way, but folks will continue to claim otherwise if it suits their agenda

jc