3 reasons Bills shouldn't use 10th pick on TE O.J. Howard

pbanach

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....OR...perhaps a QB that gets them the ball on a regular and consistent basis when open?.....bet they're thrilled running routes and hardly ever seening the ball with this club's inconsistent passing offense....."run or done" will never cut it............

Its obvious Taylor at 6' 1" struggles seeing the football field and finding his targets when he's looking into the shoulder pads of bigger athletes on both sides of the football. The West Coast O works the field more horizontally and should give Taylor better throwing lanes and a better view of the football field IMO.

Bigger , more dependable targets like OJ Howard would also help counter the height disadvantage in my humble opinion.

Draft may be "deep" in TE prospects, but let's not pretend they possess the kind of potential that an OJ Howard does at the position. There are simply no other OJ Howards in the group.

My biggest concern with him are those mentions I've read about his passion for the game. I don't know how much of that is the need to put something in the "negatives" column, but to me, that's one of the biggest red flags a player can have. I wish I knew how much credence scouts put into these comments. Wonder what Saban is telling community about Howard's attitude in that regard.

Its obvious Taylor at 6' 1" struggles seeing the football field and finding his targets when he's looking into the shoulder pads of bigger athletes on both sides of the football. The West Coast O works the field more horizontally and should give Taylor better throwing lanes and a better view of the football field IMO.

Bigger , more dependable targets like OJ Howard would also help counter the height disadvantage in my humble opinion.

...plenty of guys at or near hat height (+ or - 1 inch) who have fared better...Steve Young,Montana ,Tarkenton, Brees, etc.....height is NOT his problem (NOR a guarantee; SDS Dan McGuire was 6'10" going to Seattle at #19; think he's selling step ladders now)....I STILL believe it is his mental ability to process the field timely, go through his reads and progressions FULLY, spotting receivers, and stopping the urge to short circuit reads because he thinks his wheels will always bail him out....just my opinion.......

Where as this lack of passion come from? Haven't seen this anywhere??

I saw it in his combine profile at nfl.com and I think other "experts" have picked it up in subsequent reports. I don't put any stock in it unless it comes from people I know, but it's such a huge negative for a player that I have to wonder why it was mentioned, even by a so called pundit.

Hmmmm, not sure how I feel about another OJ playing for the Bills......

This aside though, OJ has potential beyond almost all others this draft at most positions. For this reason, it's hard to turn him down if he falls to 10....

Wouldn't be disappointed with this pick

You don't draft a first round pick for a need in the year you are drafting

You are looking to draft a player for the next 5 years and perhaps beyond

If Howard is still available at #10 and you see him as a future potential game changing player then I think he merits strong consideration

However the same could be said for Adams, Hooker, Lattimore, Foster, and Williams/Davis, and others

And or a QB they think could be our starter in 2 years

jc

...plenty of guys at or near hat height (+ or - 1 inch) who have fared better...Steve Young,Montana ,Tarkenton, Brees, etc.....height is NOT his problem (NOR a guarantee; SDS Dan McGuire was 6'10" going to Seattle at #19; think he's selling step ladders now)....I STILL believe it is his mental ability to process the field timely, go through his reads and progressions FULLY, spotting receivers, and stopping the urge to short circuit reads because he thinks his wheels will always bail him out....just my opinion.......

I understand,

and until Taylor proves differently the 15 wonderlic score will haunt him IMO.

Howard is definitely going to be in their discussions for their first round pick whether they stay at 10 or move off that spot. He's a matchup nightmare for LBs and DBs who he towers over. Freak of an athlete with incredible size, team-first guy, never complained about his role in Bama's offense, high character, does all things well within his position.

I know some people have pointed out how they have Clay/didn't utilize him. He was much more involved over the last 6 games or so. Keep in mind, though, Clay misses a lot of practice time with injuries and he has consistent issues with his knees.

Also, since Whaley has been in charge he's shown more interest in putting a higher value on the TE position than his predecessors. He was said to be sold on Eric Ebron back in 2014 plus they tried working with that basketball kid from Canisius, they were interested in that Rico Gathers from Baylor last year or the year before, he was another converted basketball player. And then they quickly plucked Logan Thomas off Detroit's practice squad as soon as he made the switch to TE.

Not sure about anybody else but I really have no issue with this organization adding big targets with a big catch radius to help out Tyrod. Knowing all he has to do is be "area code accurate" with players like that might help him start throwing more into tighter windows or tossing it up while under pressure to give his guy a chance to make a play as opposed to bailing out of the pocket so often.