Who's got bees

boyst

you can do it. You can do it all night long.

Seriously, you could do a small hive. Not sure your Nola laws but I'm sure you could and you'd be successful if you're downtown. The amount of flowers etc there would be great for the bees. For $500 it could be a great hobby and really educational for kids, neighbors etc.

There is a big seminar every spring here in NC, one in pa and one in Washington that is a great first time class. Folks from all over go to it. If you'd like. PM me I'd love to help ya get started. You may also qualify for tax deductions on your property

ha! hurting for friends in the bee community? id consider it in different circumstance, but at the moment ill have to take a raincheck. Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ha! hurting for friends in the bee community? id consider it in different circumstance, but at the moment ill have to take a raincheck.

actually, it's a very vast community. i've always noticed how many hives you see around but my mother did not. ever since she started knowing what she's seeing she's been seeing them everywhere. every other day she'll tell me she saw a new one somewhere.

Hey Boyst, do you collect queens, etc. when they swarm? Watched people come and remove swarms for free when you find them. Crazy! reach right in and find the queen with little or no protection! Nuts!

not yet, but i'll be there soon i hope.

i've seen them swarm before. it's rather impressive.

here is a queen bee mating in flight.

i started with 10 hives, and kept splitting them as they multiplied. now i have 40 hives and not enough time. oh well, the bees are happy!

this year i'm hoping to target certain areas for types of honey. there's some property about 1/2 hr away from me with tonnes of acacia trees and they will let me drop some hives there.

i started with 10 hives, and kept splitting them as they multiplied. now i have 40 hives and not enough time. oh well, the bees are happy!

this year i'm hoping to target certain areas for types of honey. there's some property about 1/2 hr away from me with tonnes of acacia trees and they will let me drop some hives there.

that's awesome!

where are you at? what kind of stack do you have?

that's awesome!

where are you at? what kind of stack do you have?

i'm near hamilton, ontario. I've got 40 acres of wildflowers for the bees and i'm surrounded by countryside so they can usually find something to eat.

We (me and my friend who originally hails from Romania) had 1 deep with 1 medium food and 2 super up top at one point a couple of years ago, but we lost a bunch of bees. Moved to only 1 super and the hives seem much stronger. i haven't a clue what i'm really doing though, perhaps it was just coincidence but my friend assures me it helped.

Are you sure they're Acacia trees, aren't they native to Africa and australia?

Are you sure they're Acacia trees, aren't they native to Africa and australia?

his use of tonnes makes me think he could be in either place

No I am not sure if they are Acacia, but that's what people call them around here. They are large trees with huge clusters of white flowers that bloom in May and smell like Jasmine. They have some nasty thorns on them too.

"tonnes" - yeah, i'm used to British spelling, being from Canada. :)

as for your vegans - i have heard that vegans don't eat honey. you know, cause it's cruel to let bees do...what they do normally. The "fact" that it takes the bees 48,000 miles (what are those??) of travel seems weird. that number really depends on whether flowers are close by or not. bees aren't dumb, they will travel less if they can. you can see that the bees are tired when no flowers are in bloom close by and they have to travel to the neighbour's and beyond.

• 2 weeks later...

i was sent this. i am going to pick them up today. they're in a metal screen, wooden box.

764550_1280x720.jpg

i'll likely put them in my toolbox on the truck.

also finally about done with my chicken coop. way over budget, but it's got plumbing to automatically water them, a thermostat for the fan to cool the place out, interior painted with truck bed liner and all edges caulked, as well as windows. it's only 4x8 1/2 if that matters

i was sent this. i am going to pick them up today. they're in a metal screen, wooden box.

764550_1280x720.jpg

i'll likely put them in my toolbox on the truck.

also finally about done with my chicken coop. way over budget, but it's got plumbing to automatically water them, a thermostat for the fan to cool the place out, interior painted with truck bed liner and all edges caulked, as well as windows. it's only 4x8 1/2 if that matters

That sounds like a nice coop. Mom and step dad acquired some old American Airlines baggage handler carts. With the two level shelving and flip up doors, they worked great. Fresh eggs are da bomb.

4 ft by 8 ft by 1/2 what?

Edited by BUFFALOKIE