Have you switched sides politically?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's fairly good evidence that many of the things in the Bible did happen.

It's not a fairy tale, you know. The Old Testament is the history and legal code, highly stylized, of the Jewish people. The New Testament is a heavily edited history of the early Christian sect. The Bible has a strong factual basis.

Because...SCIENCE!

Didn't you read the !@#$ing retard's post?

Talking snakes, virgin births, living inside of a whale, and getting at least two of every creature on earth to !@#$ on a boat doesn't sound like a strong factual basis to me. Sounds more like Aesop's Fables.

Talking snakes, virgin births, living inside of a whale, and getting at least two of every creature on earth to !@#$ on a boat doesn't sound like a strong factual basis to me. Sounds more like Aesop's Fables.

Here's a visual representation of your response to Tom's point:

1.gif

[This is an automated response.]

RIF_Primary_Horizontal.png

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.7.

There's fairly good evidence that many of the things in the Bible did happen.

It's not a fairy tale, you know. The Old Testament is the history and legal code, highly stylized, of the Jewish people. The New Testament is a heavily edited history of the early Christian sect. The Bible has a strong factual basis.

"Stylized?" Woman from rib. Moses dials up some death for Egyptian babies. Cities of people turned to salt?

That's more than running a story through Strunk and White.

Is that you Kellyanne?

Ok, so only some of it is nonsense. Got it.

It's more than that. The Bible, religion aside, is one of the most influential books in the history of history. You cannot truly understand western European philosophy or history (which by extension means American history and modern philosophy) without reading and understanding the Bible as a historical source.

Whether or not you value the Bible is irrelevant. It's importance, beyond the scope of religion, can't be dismissed.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

Are you by any chance familiar with the concepts of allegory and metaphor?

One of my favorite short stories from Asimov. Since the whole thing is short, and apparently widely available on the internet, I'll assume the copyright's not enforced and just say: It's Isaac Asimov's.

My brother began to dictate in his best oratorical style, the one which has the tribes hanging on his words.

"In the beginning," he said, "exactly fifteen point two billion years ago, there was a big bang and the Universe--"

But I had stopped writing. "Fifteen billion years ago?" I said incredulously.

"Absolutely," he said. "I'm inspired."

"I don't question your inspiration," I said. (I had better not. He's three years younger than I am, but I don't try questioning his inspiration. Neither does anyone else or there's hell to pay.) "But are you going to tell the story of the Creation over a period of fifteen billion years?"

"I have to," said my brother. "That's how long it took. I have it all in here," he tapped his forehead, "and it's on the very highest authority."

By now I had put down my stylus. "Do you know the price of papyrus?" I said.

"What?" (He may be inspired but I frequently noticed that the inspiration didn't include such sordid matters as the price of papyrus.)

I said, "Suppose you describe one million years of events to each roll of papyrus. That means you'll have to fill fifteen thousand rolls. You'll have to talk long enough to fill them and you know that you begin to stammer after a while. I'll have to write enough to fill them and my fingers will fall off. And even if we can afford all that papyrus and you have the voice and I have the strength, who's going to copy it? We've got to have a guarantee of a hundred copies before we can publish and without that where will we get royalties from?"

My brother thought awhile. He said, "You think I ought to cut it down?"

"Way down," I said, "if you expect to reach the public."

"How about a hundred years?" he said.

"How about six days?" I said.

He said horrified, "You can't squeeze Creation into six days."

I said, "This is all the papyrus I have. What do you think?"

"Oh, well," he said, and began to dictate again, "In the beginning-- Does it have to be six days, Aaron?"

I said, firmly, "Six days, Moses."

Are you by any chance familiar with the concepts of allegory and metaphor?

Yes. Are you familiar with sarcasm?

I compared the Bible to Aesop's Fables just a few posts back. I actually agree with some of what's in it when you take it as an allegory. Unfortunately lots of people take it literally and hold it up as if it's some sort of Bible that was written by God or some such nonsense.

Edited by Drunkard

Ok, so only some of it is nonsense. Got it.

Unlike global warming cooling climate change, which is all nonsense.

Think about it. A bunch of people making up fairy tales to make it seem like man literally has the ability to alter world atmosphere just by burning a few things...all to the extent that it can not only trigger earthquakes and snowstorms, but literally be the cause of all terrorism in the world.

Wow.

Real boogy man stuff there. No wonder there's so much money in it.

One of my favorite short stories from Asimov. Since the whole thing is short, and apparently widely available on the internet, I'll assume the copyright's not enforced and just say: It's Isaac Asimov's.

At least they got to rest on the seventh day.

Yes. Are you familiar with sarcasm?

I am, and you're really, really good at it.

That'd be a great interpretation...if it wasn't for young earth creationism. Edited by joesixpack