March Movies: Logan, Kong, Beauty & The Beast, Power Rangers

Mark Vader

I took the wife to Beauty and the Beast last night. I don't really understand why Disney chose this one for their first push into live action versions of their past movies. It relies way too heavily on CGI characters. The visuals in the dinner scene were way too over the top and fake for me. It felt like the big battle scenes in the Star Wars prequels. The movie was significantly better when there were more actual people on the screen. The villagers attacking the castle at the end worked so much better because it wasn't 100% relying on CGI.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the wife to Beauty and the Beast last night. I don't really understand why Disney chose this one for their first push into live action versions of their past movies. It relies way too heavily on CGI characters. The visuals in the dinner scene were way too over the top and fake for me. It felt like the big battle scenes in the Star Wars prequels. The movie was significantly better when there were more actual people on the screen. The villagers attacking the castle at the end worked so much better because it wasn't 100% relying on CGI.

This is not Disney's first live action movie from a previous animated film.

I still have not seen it, so I don't know how the CGI looks.

Just wait until they make their live action versions of "The Lion King" & "Dumbo". Imagine how much CGI will be used in those.

The director made decision to make it a lot more of a musical than originally planned and it appears to have paid off in sales. Not sure how dining room scene could be done without heavy CGI. I think the director mixed a little Fantasia into it as well.

From my understanding they played it safe, and kept it nearly identical to the animated film.

Whereas the live action "Cinderella" & "The Jungle Book" movies, had clear differences.

Probably a smart move, as the box office numbers have indicated. Since "Beauty and the Beast" is more recent than those films, it would satisfy a lot of the people who love the animated film.

From my understanding they played it safe, and kept it nearly identical to the animated film.

Not really - with added characterization scenes for Belle and the Beast to show early factors in life (Belle and the Beast are remarkably similar with both losing a mother early), expansion of scene when old woman met young prince, characterization change of Belle's father, a very pumped up nasty Gaston, spotlight change on some of the castle dwellers (Cogsworth gets a lot less screen time and Madame Garderobe [Wardrobe] more) but I think the changes were mostly good just expansion of film rather than redirection.

The director made decision to make it a lot more of a musical than originally planned and it appears to have paid off in sales. Not sure how dining room scene could be done without heavy CGI. I think the director mixed a little Fantasia into it as well.

They couldn't have done it without that, which is why I don't really get why they decided to run with this movie as their choice.

Don't want to necropost, so I'll put it here: saw Suicide Squad over the weekend. Iintroducing the main characters and their background with a 20-minute narration by Viola Davis was a brave film-making decision - It takes a lot of courage to do something that ridiculous.

That was a real train wreck of a movie, Margo Robbie's enjoyable performance notwithstanding.

Secondary sales probably; music is selling very well as well and this will help other connected sales such as toys and shows.

Pretty much this, and it's also Emma Watson's first time in a movie as a headliner.