March Movies: Logan, Kong, Beauty & The Beast, Power Rangers

Mark Vader

They sure did.

Several disturbing moments, but it didn't take away from the movie.

It made the movie that much better. The dude has giant metal razors sticking out of his hand and has fits of berzerker rage, it should be super violent. I kind of wish I had never seen a single clip of Laura in any trailers though. She takes it up another notch. I was actually cringing in my seat many times. But at the same time, it's not violence for the sake of violence. The whole thing was very raw and fits with the emotions of the characters perfectly.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw "Logan" today.

Very violent, very dark, very powerful, and very good.

Hugh Jackman is amazing, and what a debut for young Dafne Keen. Always glad to see Patrick Stewart.

I really want to know what others thought of it. I don't think anyone will be disappointed. Great job.

I agree although they mixed up the old Logan with Old Logan from Mad Max world to make it.

No way should X-23 be past the X-Men years and it limits what they can do in future with character.

Disliked the whole speaking Spanish part and I know it was supposed to annoy Logan (why would a character who lived as long as he did not learn Spanish made no sense) but annoying watchers should not be part of film; in foreign showings when they use dubbed voices in Spanish markets will they dub in another language to annoy watchers?

Despite that Dafne Keendid had a great debut until you found other kids could speak fairly well.

Again it comes back to decision by director/writer to turn into a feral child part of movie.

Patrick Stewart did a tremendous job but my wife did not understand what happened; I explained to her this is what happens when you have super powered character whose power is his mind get old and.have mental illness.

I was NOT impressed with writing/acting of any of the opponents.

Not want to write more for will spoil for those who have not seen it.

It made the movie that much better. The dude has giant metal razors sticking out of his hand and has fits of berzerker rage, it should be super violent. I kind of wish I had never seen a single clip of Laura in any trailers though. She takes it up another notch. I was actually cringing in my seat many times. But at the same time, it's not violence for the sake of violence. The whole thing was very raw and fits with the emotions of the characters perfectly.

Yes, Dafne Keen did a great job. Hugh Jackman does a great job with showing the intensity of rage he can project.

In a way it kind of reminds me of his performance in "Prisoners".

Deadpool says you're welcome.

I know it was their inspiration to go that route, but that's the only time the two movies should be mentioned in the same sentence. They're both great, but they could not be any more different.

Deadpool says you're welcome.

I know it was their inspiration to go that route, but that's the only time the two movies should be mentioned in the same sentence. They're both great, but they could not be any more different.

20th Century Fox has definitely gotten a reprieve from the Marvel universe with these 2 movies.

• 2 weeks later...

One movie that is garnering attention is the sequel, "T2: Trainspotting". After 20 years abroad, Mark Renton returns to Scotland and reunites with his old friends Sick Boy, Spud, and Begbie. Starring Ewan McGregor, Ewen Bremner, Johnny Lee Miller, & Robert Carlyle. Directed by Danny Boyle.

This movie is currently in limited release.

"T2: Trainspotting": http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/t2trainspotting/

Watched Logan and Power Rangers.

I agree with a lot of Koolaid's criticism.

X-23 made no sense as a character. Also, the Reavers went to the Storm Trooper school of bad soldiering.

Power Rangers was surprisingly good. Despite the Director's shot selection being awful, and the idiotic use of shaky-cam, the script saved the movie. Also, did they hire the same moron who created the look of Bay's dino-bots to do the zords? Despite all it's flaws, it was fun and entertaining. Hope they do a sequel.

I agree although they mixed up the old Logan with Old Logan from Mad Max world to make it.

No way should X-23 be past the X-Men years and it limits what they can do in future with character.

Disliked the whole speaking Spanish part and I know it was supposed to annoy Logan (why would a character who lived as long as he did not learn Spanish made no sense) but annoying watchers should not be part of film; in foreign showings when they use dubbed voices in Spanish markets will they dub in another language to annoy watchers?

Despite that Dafne Keendid had a great debut until you found other kids could speak fairly well.

Again it comes back to decision by director/writer to turn into a feral child part of movie.

Patrick Stewart did a tremendous job but my wife did not understand what happened; I explained to her this is what happens when you have super powered character whose power is his mind get old and.have mental illness.

I was NOT impressed with writing/acting of any of the opponents.

Not want to write more for will spoil for those who have not seen it.

Watched Logan and Power Rangers.

I agree with a lot of Koolaid's criticism.

X-23 made no sense as a character. Also, the Reavers went to the Storm Trooper school of bad soldiering.

Power Rangers was surprisingly good. Despite the Director's shot selection being awful, and the idiotic use of shaky-cam, the script saved the movie. Also, did they hire the same moron who created the look of Bay's dino-bots to do the zords? Despite all it's flaws, it was fun and entertaining. Hope they do a sequel.

Power Rangers made 40 million this weekend and audiences gave it an "A" cinemascore grade. So that is an encouraging sign for this to become a franchise.

Power Rangers made 40 million this weekend and audiences gave it an "A" cinemascore grade. So that is an encouraging sign for this to become a franchise.

Agreed.

On a separate note, here's an alarming (but interesting) article on the state of the movie business. This article comes out as the Writer's Guild is debating another strike. Joy...

The Reckoning: Why the Movie Business Is in Big Trouble

http://variety.com/2017/film/features/movie-business-changing-consumer-demand-studios-exhibitors-1202016699/

Agreed.

On a separate note, here's an alarming (but interesting) article on the state of the movie business. This article comes out as the Writer's Guild is debating another strike. Joy...

The Reckoning: Why the Movie Business Is in Big Trouble

http://variety.com/2017/film/features/movie-business-changing-consumer-demand-studios-exhibitors-1202016699/

Wow, that is a very interesting article.

That picture of the woman sitting in the movie theatre looking at her iPad is very true.

We're facing another writer's strike? Yeesh!

Wow, that is a very interesting article.

That picture of the woman sitting in the movie theatre looking at her iPad is very true.

We're facing another writer's strike? Yeesh!

From the sounds of it, it'll start in May... which will probably impact the TV landscape much more than the feature landscape (if it's a short strike that is). Writing staffs around town are being told to prepare to be on strike in a month. :wallbash:

It appears the studios want to go to the new stadium route with higher prices on rentals. No way am I paying $50 or even $30 for a rental.

I go to cinema less than once per month now; used to be every other week but theaters made previews and commercials even longer.

And writers strike? The first one is the one which resulted in Reality TV. Next one may result in something worse for them.

It appears the studios want to go to the new stadium route with higher prices on rentals. No way am I paying $50 or even $30 for a rental.

I go to cinema less than once per month now; used to be every other week but theaters made previews and commercials even longer.

And writers strike? The first one is the one which resulted in Reality TV. Next one may result in something worse for them.

There is no way that I am paying that kind of money for a rental.

I love movies, and there still is no better movie experience than seeing it in a real theatre. I don't care what kind of sound system you have in your house, or how clear the picture is on your computer, or that you can watch movies on your stupid phone. Movies were meant to be seen in theatres, and it is still the best way to see them.

Yes, the food and popcorn and drinks and candy will cost you $1000. So just bring your own stuff. Believe me, there are people who work in theatres that don't give a damn if you bring your own food.

Ticket prices have also gotten ridiculous, even matinees. But there are a lot of theatres that have discount days every week, which will save you money.

As for the potential writer's strike and how it resulted in reality TV.....you actually think they could bring us something worse than reality TV? :unsure:

This seems to be main point:

Work is plentiful in the Peak TV era, although the need for writers to balance multiple jobs in a year to maintain the income levels once provided by a traditional gig on a 22-episode-per-season drama is one of the big pain points.

Environment has changed; 22 episodes per season is not always going to happen and with all of the new venues there is more competition.

As for the potential writer's strike and how it resulted in reality TV.....you actually think they could bring us something worse than reality TV? :unsure:

Sure. More talking heads shows about politics with all of the expert commentators.

From the sounds of it, it'll start in May... which will probably impact the TV landscape much more than the feature landscape (if it's a short strike that is). Writing staffs around town are being told to prepare to be on strike in a month. :wallbash:

Speaking of the feature landscape.....I've heard that this has been a record breaking month at the box office.

Not surprising since this month has had the look of a summer month.

Also, everyone that has been going to the movies this month, are seeing lots of previews for what's coming out this summer. This, of course, leads to a potential record breaking summer.

Have you seen any of these movies this month?

Saw Logan. Been wanting to see Beauty and the Beast with my daughter on weekend but now local AMC is not posting movie times except for a few movies for upcoming weekend; I guess they want ability to change quickly what is playing but it makes it hard for planning purposes.

Saw Logan. Been wanting to see Beauty and the Beast with my daughter on weekend but now local AMC is not posting movie times except for a few movies for upcoming weekend; I guess they want ability to change quickly what is playing but it makes it hard for planning purposes.

Tuesday is usually when theatres get their bookings in.

They should have their updated schedule very soon.

• 2 weeks later...

What was an encouraging opening weekend has now turned into a concern.

Power Rangers grosses have dropped significantly, currently standing at 75 million. International sales have been on the low side too.

Japan has it set to release in July, but even with that, Lionsgate has to seriously consider if this is a sustainable franchise.