OT American Idol

Stoj, I gotta disagree with you. ER is probably the greatest show in our lifetime.

257884[/snapback]

Once again, you young whippersnappers have too limited time horizon. Clearly, the greatest medical show ever made was St. Elsewhere. But in honor of the gentler, kinder TBD, I offer that as my opinion and not the true fact that it really is.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, you young whippersnappers have too limited time horizon.  Clearly, the greatest medical show ever made was St. Elsewhere.  But in honor of the gentler, kinder TBD, I offer that as my opinion and not the true fact that it really is.

257893[/snapback]

ER is much more authentic and visceral than St. Elsewhere was, IMO.

that show defines everything that's wrong with the music business. to watch it is to condone every boy band ever assembled.

257859[/snapback]

That's crap.....no offense. In fact, someone like Tamyra Gray - who I think is the most talented person to appear on any season of the show - is brilliant. She's everything that is right about the music business. But most of the people on this show have no experience with the music 'business'. People who appear on the show go in all sorts of different directions, and I think it's pretty interesting to see how someone can go from being a geeky looking teacher to icon status in the course of four months. Someone like Ruben Studdard is anything but a 'pop' star or a boy band singer. There are all sorts of creative people in the world, and I don't think any less of these folks just because they are on a popular tv show.

I watched the last ten minutes of American Idol, while waitng for House to start.

What exactly is the appeal of this show, I really do not get it. And whoever wins, signs the next five years of their life away to AI, are these guys even popular?

Just don't get it at all.

I watched the last ten minutes of American Idol, while waitng for House to start.

What exactly is the appeal of this show, I really do not get it.  And whoever wins, signs the next five years of their life away to AI, are these guys even popular?

258163[/snapback]

Was there ever a time when a team other than the Bills (I'm assuming you're a Bills fan here....) had a rookie or otherwise unproven player (QB, whatever) about to see the field for the first time, and you couldn't help but be interested to see how he did? For me, this is similar to the appeal of American Idol. I am, and always will be, a fan of people - particularly the underdog. As I said above, the fact that a geek with a voice can go from small town obscurity to multi-millionaire recording artist is fascinating to me. That certainly has been the exception so far and not the rule, but I can't help but be curious to see not only IF they can do it, but how they do it, too.

that show defines everything that's wrong with the music business. to watch it is to condone every boy band ever assembled.

257859[/snapback]

American Idol is evil. Damn Clay Aiken and the other AI contestants. It's wrong what they are doing. The industry is DOOMED!!!!! :D:(

Was there ever a time when a team other than the Bills (I'm assuming you're a Bills fan here....) had a rookie or otherwise unproven player (QB, whatever) about to see the field for the first time, and you couldn't help but be interested to see how he did? For me, this is similar to the appeal of American Idol. I am, and always will be, a fan of people - particularly the underdog. As I said above, the fact that a geek with a voice can go from small town obscurity to multi-millionaire recording artist is fascinating to me. That certainly has been the exception so far and not the rule, but I can't help but be curious to see not only IF they can do it, but how they do it, too.

258172[/snapback]

Wow, I may not say this often, but well said ajzepp. I actually watch to see good singers perform at their highest level, trying to survive another week. The music's good, the dingers are good (usually), and it reminds me of so many great songs that I often go CD shopping a few days after watching.

And to counter the original argument, I don't get what you see in House. It's just another medical show... ER, Chicago Hope, Third Watch, Medical Investigation, TVs crammed full of them. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you watching T-bone, but just so you see both sides of the argument.

What exactly is the appeal of this show, I really do not get it.  And whoever wins, signs the next five years of their life away to AI, are these guys even popular?

258163[/snapback]

T-Bone, you as big of a fan of "House" as I am? What a great show. Dr. House is such a prick... that's my favorite part... it's kind of like CSI for a hospital show in the way they try to figure out what each patient has... good stuff.

Wow, I may not say this often, but well said ajzepp.

258304[/snapback]

Don't worry, we don't have to make a habit of agreeing with one another.......We can agree on soccer and AI.......we can get back to arguing with each other about the rest of the topics :D

Bo Bice is by far the best performer...but do you think they would really let a "rocker dude" win? Anyways for some reason I like that "Fat Kid" Scott who talks like he grew up in Compton....it's kind of amazing that he is still in even though he has a decent voice.....EZC.....OUT? :D

Bo Bice is by far the best performer...but do you think they would really let a "rocker dude" win? Anyways for some reason I like that "Fat Kid" Scott who talks like he grew up in Compton....it's kind of amazing that he is still in even though he has a decent voice.....EZC.....OUT?  :D

258314[/snapback]

You know, I think that Constantine guy is the best thing that could have happend to Bo Bice. I may be in the minority, but I thought Constantine SUCKED the other night. I thought all that screeching and sh*t was ridiculous......to me, he is like a vacuum that is sucking all the negative aspects of the 'rocker dude' image onto himself, which in turn is allowing Bo Bice to appear more versatile and dynamic. It's pretty rare that I hear someone sing on AI and feel as though I would actually buy one of their albums. I'll have to hear more, but I think I feel that way about this guy. I truly enjoy listening to him sing and I think he's clearly a superior talent to the other 'rocker' guy.

What exactly is the appeal of this show, I really do not get it.

258163[/snapback]

Two words... Simon Cowell. His slams are true entertainment. :(

As for medical 1-hour dramas, I remember watching Marcus Welby once back when I was a kid. Since then, I've never watched another. Not into 1-hour law or crime-investigation dramas either, gimme Idol :D .

You know, I think that Constantine guy is the best thing that could have happend to Bo Bice. I may be in the minority, but I thought Constantine SUCKED the other night. I thought all that screeching and sh*t was ridiculous......to me, he is like a vacuum that is sucking all the negative aspects of the 'rocker dude' image onto himself, which in turn is allowing Bo Bice to appear more versatile and dynamic. It's pretty rare that I hear someone sing on AI and feel as though I would actually buy one of their albums. I'll have to hear more, but I think I feel that way about this guy. I truly enjoy listening to him sing and I think he's clearly a superior talent to the other 'rocker' guy.

258324[/snapback]

Dammit! I gotta give it to you again! Bo's got much more going for him, and Constantine is starting to look like a pretty boy. his last song was decent... the judges loves it, but the fans wont. Bo's got a lot more going to him, In fact, I think the older crew is going to take this. Not only that, but aside from Carrie Underwood, the Guys have all the talent. How much longer until the Nanny wanna be gets booted?

Two words... Simon Cowell. His slams are true entertainment. :D

258329[/snapback]

That guy's got one hell of a gig, doesn't he?

How much longer until the Nanny wanna be gets booted?

258331[/snapback]

Which one is that? The blonde chick that sang the Martina McBride song last night?

(By the way, I'm not the biggest fan of country music, but if anyone wants to see a beautiful woman with a killer voice, Martina McBride does a pretty good job filling those roles.)

That guy's got one hell of a gig, doesn't he?

258333[/snapback]

No doubt..."He's worth a reported $85 million, thanks partly to a deal that lets him sign Pop Idol winners to his own record label." :D

Good call, I think that they have let him stay because of his story..quitting his band and everything.....I think Bo definately has the talent to be in a "big time" band....how aboutt hat dude who looks just like bobby brown...that was kind of scary..anyways...does anyone else laugh their arse off when Randy screams over to the guy performers and calls them "the dogpound" ????

258324[/snapback]

No doubt..."He's worth a reported $85 million, thanks partly to a deal that lets him sign Pop Idol winners to his own record label." :D

258339[/snapback]

WHAT?!?! Are you friggin serious? Any idea how much of that 85mil came as a result of Idol? That's INSANE, bro! lol Good Lord, I have an entirely new respect for the guy lol