"We're close / must win now" mode or "rebuilding"

Just curious to know how we'll achieve 7-9 this year... in "we're close / must win now" mode or "rebuilding" mode?

Has OBD declared?

The next couple of years is about finding a real franchise QB for the franchise. The record truly isn't the top priority. Be that Cardale Jones, a rookie QB drafted this year or a rookie QB drafted in 2018, they will try to get the QB position locked down after 20 years of it not happening.

Now having said that, if they add Romo, then it's is all about the record and getting into the playoffs.

so what do we really need? if we keep tyrod and draft a qb early to train and take over after 2 years i think the only thing we will lose is the ability to sign higher priced free agents. the same with gilmore who i personally do not believe has played well enough to be paid top 5 money. this means we sign who we can and build thru the draft. i truly believe we are not so far off that we need to scrap the last 5 years and start over.

Just curious to know how we'll achieve 7-9 this year... in "we're close / must win now" mode or "rebuilding" mode?

Has OBD declared?

OBD has actually started to mention the words "long term." Which is not the same as rebuilding, but is actually smart and increases the chances of success. In the long term anyway.

So none of the above, from what I'm reading.

so what do we really need? if we keep tyrod and draft a qb early to train and take over after 2 years i think the only thing we will lose is the ability to sign higher priced free agents. the same with gilmore who i personally do not believe has played well enough to be paid top 5 money. this means we sign who we can and build thru the draft. i truly believe we are not so far off that we need to scrap the last 5 years and start over.

Higher-priced and medium-priced as well.

We're up against it with the cap.

The Bills are 24th in cap space with $26 mill.

The Pats are 5th in cap space with $62.9 mill.

Cap matters. Frugality too.

The next couple of years is about finding a real franchise QB for the franchise. The record truly isn't the top priority. Be that Cardale Jones, a rookie QB drafted this year or a rookie QB drafted in 2018, they will try to get the QB position locked down after 20 years of it not happening.

Now having said that, if they add Romo, then it's is all about the record and getting into the playoffs.

McDermott was not an elite HC prospect.

He will not be given the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's doing like a young genius type in Kyle Shanny or Sean McVay.

Whaley tried to backpedal from his "7-9 is not good enough" speech......but McDermott really needs to start winning early to get players to buy into his systems.

That's a downside of hiring a nobody-type.

A guy with no experience as a HC who didn't have a particularly impressive resume.....in fact he was actually fired as a DC 5 years ago........players aren't going to just trust that he knows what he's doing.

Peg stated he is not in win now mode during one of his interviews. Having the 4th hardest schedule rubs it in. With the salary cap, the 16 years with no playoffs and really no chance to win the AFC East with Brady and Phins leading, IMO the Bills are in slap poop against the wall to see if it sticks mode. They will put together something this year, hopefully MCD can do something with it.

2014 9 wins

2015 8 wins

2016 7 wins

Where is this playoff push going next?!

They've basically been an 8-8 team for 3 straight years.

Bills won finale versus Pats in '14 that they wouldn't have won if it were meaningful..... and lost a game they likely win if Taylor was playing against Jets at end of '16.

The lauded Cowboys team of 2016 was constructed with a foundation of 3 straight 8-8 seasons.....and 4 straight non-winning seasons..... from 2011-2013.

They reached 12-4 the following season.

You can re-tool a team from .500.

They've basically been an 8-8 team for 3 straight years.

Bills won finale versus Pats in '14 that they wouldn't have won if it were meaningful..... and lost a game they likely win if Taylor was playing against Jets at end of '16.

The lauded Cowboys team of 2016 was constructed with a foundation of 3 straight 8-8 seasons.....and 4 straight non-winning seasons..... from 2011-2013.

They reached 12-4 the following season.

You can re-tool a team from .500.

We'll see. Lots of free agents could be done with Alexander, Zach Brown, Gilmore, Robert Woods, Aaron Williams. And maybe Tyrod gone, new schemes means more needs at linebacker, corner, etc. Even running game could be changed up.

We'll see. Lots of free agents could be done with Alexander, Zach Brown, Gilmore, Robert Woods, Aaron Williams. And maybe Tyrod gone, new schemes means more needs at linebacker, corner, etc. Even running game could be changed up.

I'm not known as an optimist here but if they simply keep Taylor they should be better on offense.

Woods and Mills production is very replaceable and shouldn't be hard to improve upon.

With Watkins out or hurt most of this year TT's ypa dropped a full yard. People poo-poo the lack of WR talent but aside from a handful of greats.....maybe only Brady and Rodgers.....most QB's are hurt by a a lack of skill at WR.

I don't think they will lose all of those defenders.....but they could lose them all and still get better on defense by getting more production from a number of misused and recovering players.

The eye test said they were one of the worst D's in the league in 2016 and DVOA supported that with a 27th overall ranking........but the talent was FAR better than that ranking.

And it's EASY to fix defense.

When you get an offense that's working though you should build on it because as we have seen success on that side of the ball is much more elusive.

Edited by #BADOL

I feel a 4-12 year coming on. I'm not sure how we achieve 7-9. Maybe that will become apparent in the fall.

What makes you feel so negative before the free agency period has even begun ? I dont think we will have a good sense of where the season may end up, till after the draft. I am giving the benefit of doubt to the coaching staff and saying that it will depend upon the players gained (and lost).

What makes you feel so negative before the free agency period has even begun ? I dont think we will have a good sense of where the season may end up, till after the draft. I am giving the benefit of doubt to the coaching staff and saying that it will depend upon the players gained (and lost).

Like I say, maybe it will become apparent in the fall. As for now, we finished the season with a 1 - 4 run, the only win being against Cleveland.

We have a brutal looking schedule coming up. Dareus was a massive disappointment, for now I assume he will be next season as well. Watkins may or may not bounce back from multiple surgeries on his feet, but for now I assume he has trouble.

We have a first time head coach coming in. The skies the limit, but for now he's a first time head coach.

Who knows how Ragland will be this season coming off an ACL injury.

Maybe I'm overly bitter after watching the super bowl, but I do not see a lot of light on the horizon.