Draft pick allocation by position for the entire NFL

FireChan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You DONT reach for them and pass up Elite prospects at other positions of need, especially positions that are a BIGGER need than QB. This team DOES NOT NEED A QB NEARLY AS BAD AS OTHER POSITIONS.

If you don't have a franchise Quarterback (and I don't believe Tyrod is that) or a Quarterback you believe is well on the way to Franchise status then - Winston, Mariota, Carr, Dak - then your biggest need is always Quarterback. It isn't the biggest hole on this team I agree but it is the biggest need.

If you don't have a franchise Quarterback (and I don't believe Tyrod is that) or a Quarterback you believe is well on the way to Franchise status then - Winston, Mariota, Carr, Dak - then your biggest need is always Quarterback. It isn't the biggest hole on this team I agree but it is the biggest need.

I'm sorry, can we please give Dak a couple years and see how things go? Too small a sample size to say he's well on his way to anything.

Well put!

I'm sorry, can we please give Dak a couple years and see how things go? Too small a sample size to say he's well on his way to anything.

Yea probably fair... but if I am in the Cowboys war room for this draft I am not saying Quarterback is my biggest need. That is my point. Whereas I am in the war room of the teams with game managers - and I include KC, CIN and MIA in that.

I mean he had one of the best rookie seasons of all time. I don't consider it a stretch to believe he has an excellent chance of being Dallas' franchise guy. I'm sure their FO and coaching staff are very pleased with him under center so far.

Edited by FireChan

Yea probably fair... but if I am in the Cowboys war room for this draft I am not saying Quarterback is my biggest need. That is my point. Whereas I am in the war room of the teams with game managers - and I include KC, CIN and MIA in that.

Yeah, that's fine. Don't disagree there. I don't think QB is our biggest need either, but it is certainly a need.

I mean he had one of the best rookie seasons of all time. I don't consider it a stretch to believe he has an excellent chance of being Dallas' franchise guy. I'm sure their FO and coaching staff are very pleased with him under center so far.

Yes, and there have been some one year wonders. RG3 had an incredible rookie season on a team in far worse shape roster-wise than the Cowboys this past year. Nick Foles was incredible in 2013 (he only played in 7 games prior). Now he doesn't see the field. I'm not saying I expect this to happen to Dak, but it's way too early to say he's definitely a franchise guy.

Yeah, that's fine. Don't disagree there. I don't think QB is our biggest need either, but it is certainly a need.

Yes, and there have been some one year wonders. RG3 had an incredible rookie season on a team in far worse shape roster-wise than the Cowboys this past year. Nick Foles was incredible in 2013 (he only played in 7 games prior). Now he doesn't see the field. I'm not saying I expect this to happen to Dak, but it's way too early to say he's definitely a franchise guy.

Good thing no one is.

Good thing no one is.

Oh right, I forgot you only read posts that are about Tyrod...

Plenty on this board love to toss his name out there along with Carr. He had one good year behind the best OL in football with an excellent supporting cast. I don't expect the cast to change, which is why I don't expect much drop off, but let's pump the brakes on him being a prime example of what everyone should look for in the draft until he shows any signs of sustained success or progression.

Oh right, I forgot you only read posts that are about Tyrod...

Plenty on this board love to toss his name out there along with Carr. He had one good year behind the best OL in football with an excellent supporting cast. I don't expect the cast to change, which is why I don't expect much drop off, but let's pump the brakes on him being a prime example of what everyone should look for in the draft until he shows any signs of sustained success or progression.

Well I mean, the post you responded to called him "on his way" to being franchise, not "definitely franchise." I don't know what nonexistent posts you're reading and responding to.

Well I mean, the post you responded to called him "on his way" to being franchise, not "definitely franchise." I don't know what nonexistent posts you're reading and responding to.

I typically don't respond. Also, I tried to do a forum search, but you can't search Dak because it doesn't have enough letters :lol:

Except this is just simply not true. Denver won the SB last year with one of the lowest rated QB's in the NFL and the worst QB performance ever by a winning SB QB. Meanwhile teams with franchise QBs to even HOF QB's, including one of the best all time have been perennially sitting at home during the playoffs. If what you said was true, Brees, Rivers, Luck etc wouldn't have been sitting at home during the playoffs like they have both years TT has been a starter.

Guys like Matt Ryan had a losing record the previous 3 years prior to this year...until what...until the Defense improved. So, while I don't disagree about the importance of a QB, you have completely lost how games are won and lost in the NFL.

They are not won by passing yards...they are won by scoring MORE points than the opponent, and there are MORE than 1 way to score points in the NFL. You sir, are fixated on doing it through the air. Yet, the Bills this year were one of the most potent scoring teams in the NFL and nearly as good as the Saints who had a 5000 yard passer, who has actually averaged 5000 yards for 3 seasons now and yet never once made the playoffs in those 3 seasons and only once over 5 years.

Luck...also losing record these last 2 years, in fact, Colts have a better record, and a winning record WITHOUT Luck and a losing record WITH Luck the last 2 years. Rivers has been a very good QB for a long time...hasnt made playoffs in a while.

So, on a team who was one of the best teams in the NFL at putting points on the board under a TT led offense that was saddled by the 26th worst team in the NFL (in the 15 games outside the Pats anomaly shutout missing Brady) at surrounding points, QB is by far from the biggest need nor problem. And there is no logical argument to suggest otherwise. We are on the path to the playoffs with even a modest improvement on D and a contender with a significant improvement on D back to our 2014 form before Rex system screwed it up.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I have to agree.

Teams that took more QB’s

Oakland 3

Denver 4

Cleveland 3

Jets 4

Phily 3

Washington 3

LA 3

How many of those teams have been to the Superbowl in that time frame?

Answer 1

How many of those teams still suck?

4 out of 7

I don't see how this chart proves anything at all to be honest, at least not about quarterbacks.

i agreei ran it through my logic circuits and came to the following conclusion....little guys get drafted alot more than big guys, ie every team seemed to draft 6-10 dbs or wr's while drafting 2-4 d lineman. except seattle drafting 9 fing DTs! and sf and indy drafting the hell out of offensive lineman

NO, a guy that can walk into a starting job in the nfl and play great all year has already proven he is good enough. Cam did the same thing. He is good "enough" the opposite was true with turdwards lossman and ej, they all had 2 years or more and sucked donkey dlcks but everyone here blamed the oline or the qb coach or his lack of playing time yadayada yada. Its so funny how guys here get married to these players and cant accept that they suck but will crack on other successful nfl guys as has-beens or rookie sensations.

Alpha point me to one place where I have talked about passing yards. I haven't, not once.

Point me to a place where I have said all you need is a Quarterback and you are bound to win. I haven't, not once.

What I have said is the only way to create sustainable success in competing for Championships in the NFL is to build around a franchise Quarterback. Atlanta is actually the perfect example. This is the second team they built around Ryan. He had winning seasons his first 5 years and 4 playoff appearances. Then as that team began to fall apart and retire they have built a 2nd team around him and after 2 losing seasons have rebounded to 8-8 then 11-5 and a Superbowl appearance. If you get that single piece in place you get over a decades worth of time to find the perfect pieces to make a Championship team and if you plan it right you might even get 2 goes round.

A broken down Peyton proved you don't need a franchise level QB to win a Superbowl but while his body was broken his mind was not and there were multiple rushing TDs in that playoff run including one in the Superbowl itself from plays Manning checked to at the line.

I have repeated until I am blue in the face I think you can make the playoffs with Tyrod and a better D and upgraded passing weapons. But that D and those weapons don't make him a Franchise Quarterback. Tyrod would still be who he a good game manager just with a better supporting cast. And we have seen with Alex Smith, Tannehill / Moore and Andy Dalton (the guys I put Tyrod in the mix with) in recent years that the model has a ceiling in the post-season.

If you don't have a Franchise Quarterback then finding one is and should be your number 1 need. I include the Bengals, the Chiefs and the Dolphins in that same bracket with us. I'd be advoacting drafting one if I was any of those teams too. Otherwise your plan is hoping the stars align just right for you as they do once every 10 or 15 years for a team with bad Quarterback play and a great defense. That to me is more of a lottery ticket type plan long term than drafting a Watson or a Trubisky.