Is it time to dump Divisions & go to a conference schedule?

This thread is like groundhog day.

Comes around over and over--was only a few weeks ago last time.

But this must mean that it's a popular idea among some fans.

I have yet to read a competent, lucid, well-reasoned argument against changing the NFL alignment, schedule or "rivalries."

What do Bills fans stand to benefit, from an entertainment stand point, of playing the Dolphins, Jets and losing to New England 2 times a year every year? I'm seriously asking. How is this fun? Variety is the spice of life. Baseball grew its popularity when interleague play started in the 90's. The NHL gets every team twice in a season. NBA, etc.

Yes, of course, there's more games. But the principle is the same. Let the fans see more than just the same 4 teams 6 times a year.

I agree.

The Jets and Miami games do nothing for me. It is less than a rivalry... dull. I would rather see a different opponent in the AFC. New England is more intense, just because it is the nature of a 'dynasty' like that and most of the AFC feels the same way anyway. I really hate the Division the Bills are stuck in. it's boring.

That is 40% of the schedule every season and has been for 15 years. It has gotten stale. Sure, you have some rivalries league-wide... but mainly they are built on teams who happen to be good at the same time (Seattle/49ers)...

I'd rather they went back to a six-division, 5 teams per format, ditched Jax and Cleveland, and made half the season division games again.

Back then, when you played eight division games, pounding on your division rivals was the key to the playoffs. Now, with only six games, division games are far less important.

Totally! Play everyone in your conference. 15 game season would give a very accurate assessment of who the best teams are. Top 8 get in the playoffs which makes up for the lost game and Super Bowl makes 19.

Make the bye week one week for each conference making it much more fair in that regards also.

this is my line of thinking too. it seems like a stretch but I would like it. Play everyone once, take the top 8. this would make it fair.

this is my line of thinking too. it seems like a stretch but I would like it. Play everyone once, take the top 8. this would make it fair.

Top 8 make the playoffs and by virtue of the full conference schedule set up you will have already played that opponent creating mini rivalries. Plus new or old rivalries are ramped up with head to head frequency among teams that consistently make the playoffs. The division schedule as is gets exposed when weak teams feast off of lesser divisions, within division/conference/non conference while better teams are shut out having been in dog fights within their division and then compounded by playing other strong divisions within conference and non conference matchups.