McDermott x's and o's

boyst

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Without treading on the de facto X's and O's, his defense was tailored to LB coverage from guys like Davis/Kuechly/Thompson, all of whom are very athletic and excellent in coverage. Prior to having those 3, he played a LOT of Cover 3. After he got those 3 and could mix and match them in nickel sets, he moved to using more Cover-1.

So based on this wouldn't it be safe to say that McDermott would be willing to adjust his defense based on what he has to work with on the roster after draft and free agency? I would also assume he will bring in a D coordinator who is best fitting of his system and what we have to work with here now?

Where does his pass rush come from?

Do you expect Dareus, KW and Hughes to get back up to producing the way they did under Pettine and Schwartz?

pass rush comes from coverage. He does come coverage a lot but if he is true to his word we will see man coverage. Man coverage suits us better. He plays his safeties more to what people think a linebacker may do, provided he can get a safety to play outfield when needed.

Our outside pass rush won't be from.the outside. Hughes may not have as solid of year but kyle and Dareus will. I will look for him to move Washington outside. He may work with Hughes to get him to the QB. I haven't seen him do this but he hasn't had someone with the skill set of Hughes

Dont see the appeal of McDermott.

That's all. But I think Whaley should be on a two year leash and a prove it now type of arrangement with Lynn as HC and Tyrod back as QB.

I'll reserve judgement until a decision is made on the coaching staff and QB situation.

Will you please stay out of this thread? It's about actual football stuff.

2016 Games I'd be interested in: vs. KC or @OAK

2015 Games: vs. HOU, vs. INDY, vs. GB, or SEA playoff game

Take your pick

I was at the Vikes game. That is why I have a bad taste in my mouth. The defense was crippled after so many inconsistencies from newton. A bad qb could do that here.

The 2015 game from green bay was similar to what we did. We moved all over the field. We didn't let the packers have open lanes or the opportunity to complete a big pass.

The kc game was all on offense. A defense, much like 2015, that carried the weight of an offense similar to out kgun. It was too fast. It was too much for the defense to stay in and control the game. The dink and dunk offense of kc gets no respect. Keuchly was banged up, poor coverage from a weakened secondary of inexperonce allowed smith to create key matchups in the bubble - that small window where the cb playing off cannot get to. This will also give Pittsburgh trouble this weekend. If kc had a yac guy they'd kill it. Sammy would excel in kc

I was at the Vikes game. That is why I have a bad taste in my mouth. The defense was crippled after so many inconsistencies from newton. A bad qb could do that here.

The 2015 game from green bay was similar to what we did. We moved all over the field. We didn't let the packers have open lanes or the opportunity to complete a big pass.

The kc game was all on offense. A defense, much like 2015, that carried the weight of an offense similar to out kgun. It was too fast. It was too much for the defense to stay in and control the game. The dink and dunk offense of kc gets no respect. Keuchly was banged up, poor coverage from a weakened secondary of inexperonce allowed smith to create key matchups in the bubble - that small window where the cb playing off cannot get to. This will also give Pittsburgh trouble this weekend. If kc had a yac guy they'd kill it. Sammy would excel in kc

Cool, yeah I mostly keyed on AFC games because we see those teams more.

What's their base alignment as a 4-3 and how are their ends primarily used?

What responsibilities do their DT's have? How much are their LB's relied on for in coverage?

think about swartz. He doesn't blitz much. He doesn't have to. He uses latlouloulouleeee as a 3 game DT like he will use Washington and Dareus. The other may play side 5 on a 43 with Lawson setting weak side edge. Ideally this means Hughes is on weak side and can bee line the qb to get a nose full of pollen.

The dts cover the line and play more react then I like then simply attack but I think it still suits us. Teams won't be able to run on us next year.

Didn't Atlanta hang like 47 points on them in week 4 or 5?

Julio Jones over 300 yards receiving.

Bradberry, worely, benewieridirkekekeeeee and whoever the other rookie was played above their ability. But they're still trash. Combined with nothing but compost at safety and Matty ice because mayty en feugo

Wrt to Hughes. think of the dude who beat up his fiance. Whatever his name was.

Yes but they've also relied heavily on the ability of all three linebackers to drop quickly into deep zones - that's what I'd like confirmation of JB - seems to me that his defense is helped significantly by having 3 LBs (or at least 2) with almost safety-like speed and dropping ability, which creates very small windows in the zones for QBs to try to thread...

aj Klein would be on my radar to get to the bills with brown and brown.

Thomas Davis, jeuchly and the other dude do tremendous. Davis and Jamie Collins are my favorite lbs. Davis drops in to cover flankers and the flats quite a bit, often 10-15 yards deep. Bes smart but not super quick anymore. He gets the job done by just being damn good. Think Manny Lawson

Keuchly can finally cover. Or at last he plays under and the safety over the tops makes ya think so. He and George Wilson's role in pass coverage was identical often.

Dont see the appeal of McDermott.

That's all. But I think Whaley should be on a two year leash and a prove it now type of arrangement with Lynn as HC and Tyrod back as QB.

I'll reserve judgement until a decision is made on the coaching staff and QB situation.

You have a funny way of reserving judgement.

The biggest takeaway I get from watching McDermott's defense is the approach to using his front-4.

Perhaps it's because of the talent that he had, but he loved to use Short and Lotuleilei to force things inside. This fits having Kyle and Dareus really well, but it will rely on the EDGE guys to be a bit patient on run plays and not crash so heavily.

I also really like that he uses his front-4 to generate pressure in the pass game...this is where I want to see what he can do. If he can put our DTs in position to attack the pocket, I expect Hughes and Shaq to gain more than a few cleanup sacks.

I really do worry about the LB and safety spots though--I don't want to be in a position where this team is forced into drafting for need.

So no keuchley and no norman made for a rough year.

lost their starting de. Have eaches or whatever his name is the tiny de. He does well.

They never had safteis. Roman harper was OK last year. Latlouleiieiieileeeeee got a case of suck.

Wrt to Hughes. think of the dude who beat up his fiance. Whatever his name was.

aj Klein would be on my radar to get to the bills with brown and brown.

Thomas Davis, jeuchly and the other dude do tremendous. Davis and Jamie Collins are my favorite lbs. Davis drops in to cover flankers and the flats quite a bit, often 10-15 yards deep. Bes smart but not super quick anymore. He gets the job done by just being damn good. Think Manny Lawson

Keuchly can finally cover. Or at last he plays under and the safety over the tops makes ya think so. He and George Wilson's role in pass coverage was identical often.

AJ Klein for sure--maybe Malcolm Smith as well. One of those two, plus re-sign Zach, and the LB group looks a lot better.