Must be able to challenge any play

One thing I noticed during the Raiders-Texans game is Gruden mentioned, when talking to Jack Del Rio, that some teams have great reputations for being "disciplined" teams and others have "undisciplined" reputations. Therefor the teams that are labeled undisciplined, the refs are already prepared to throw flags before the game even starts and will throw at ticky-tacky calls where with the disciplined teams will get the benefit of the doubt. That was coming from an NFL head coach, that has to mean something.

But it shows, good teams like the Seahawks and patriots and packers seem to always have calls go there way or no-calls go there way where the bad teams get screwed on tons of calls that ultimately change the way the game is played out. It's ridiculous.

Unfortunate thing is reviewing every play would make the game excruciatling long and is unfeasible

Brady actually gets to make calls. He makes a flag throwing motion and a flag appears.

Teams that always benefit from bad calls:

- New England*

- Seattle

- Pittsburgh

- Green Bay

Teams that always get screwed by bad calls:

- Cleveland

- Buffalo

- Detroit

Is anyone shocked? BTW, the rumor is that Walt "just give it to 'em" Coleman is going to get the Super Bowl assignment.

horseshit

we have a million cameras with a bazillion views. theres no reason other than nostalgia to ignore that capability to get calls right

not only should every play be reviewable, there should be a referee stationed in a studio somewhere with the ability to stop play and change any call made or not made on the field

the consistent mistakes made by live refereeing is the biggest reason ive lost interest in football. i doubt im the only one

If they did that, they might as well position that replay studio in Las Vegas because that is what everyone will assume. The NFL replay rules are not about fair results. They are about the perception of fairness, particularly for the betting public. It's about plausible deniability. If a moron on the field makes a mistake, that is deemed human error and "can't" be overcome. If a referee was ever exposed for fixing games, the league would be aghast and simply fire the individual. If they pursue meaningful remedies to the officiating problem by implementing unlimited replay, they open themselves to the appearance of collusion with Vegas. That'd be terrible for Vegas and consequently would sound the death knell for viewership.

If they did that, they might as well position that replay studio in Las Vegas because that is what everyone will assume. The NFL replay rules are not about fair results. They are about the perception of fairness, particularly for the betting public. It's about plausible deniability. If a moron on the field makes a mistake, that is deemed human error and "can't" be overcome. If a referee was ever exposed for fixing games, the league would be aghast and simply fire the individual. If they pursue meaningful remedies to the officiating problem by implementing unlimited replay, they open themselves to the appearance of collusion with Vegas. That'd be terrible for Vegas and consequently would sound the death knell for viewership.

Except that no one perceives the current system as fair. Anyone watching for any length of time sees the bias in the way officials call games that favor "good" teams.

Teams that always benefit from bad calls:

- New England*

- Seattle

- Pittsburgh

- Green Bay

Teams that always get screwed by bad calls:

- Cleveland

- Buffalo

- Detroit

Is anyone shocked? BTW, the rumor is that Walt "just give it to 'em" Coleman is going to get the Super Bowl assignment.

Damn I hope not. If the Pats* make it there are only a few Officials that I'd like to see as they have proven they will call New England for holding , PI and illegal contact. : Steratore, Blakeman, Hochuli. Boger has on occasion but his crew simply calls too many penalties in every game.

I agree Detroit played terribly. But instead of 7-0 it should have been 4th and 2 again. The block in the back drive led to more points. The RB got ten more yards after the foul. Seattle would have still had a first down but it would have been pushed back 20 yards from the spot of the foul. Collinsworth praised the Seattle RB for the stiff-arm to the helmet which is now illegal. Terrible.

The only answer is replay. Get the calls correct. Want drama? See if Pete goes for it again on 4th and 2!

And to be fair, the refs made some very very good boundary and catch calls during the game. Detroit DB also had a facemask non-call later in the game that should have given Seattle 15 more yards. They are human and the game is too fast and the teams too closely matched to let these calls go.

Oh and another thing, how were those calls on Boldin unnecessary roughness and not unsportsmanlike conduct? The first seemed textbook hitting a guy on the sidelines. The second could have gone either way but both looked like cheap shots. Oh and nice job not knowing the rule Al "I have been washed up and living on my reputation for years" Michaels.

I agree Detroit played terribly. But instead of 7-0 it should have been 4th and 2 again. The block in the back drive led to more points. The RB got ten more yards after the foul. Seattle would have still had a first down but it would have been pushed back 20 yards from the spot of the foul. Collinsworth praised the Seattle RB for the stiff-arm to the helmet which is now illegal. Terrible.

The only answer is replay. Get the calls correct. Want drama? See if Pete goes for it again on 4th and 2!

And to be fair, the refs made some very very good boundary and catch calls during the game. Detroit DB also had a facemask non-call later in the game that should have given Seattle 15 more yards. They are human and the game is too fast and the teams too closely matched to let these calls go.

Oh and another thing, how were those calls on Boldin unnecessary roughness and not unsportsmanlike conduct? The first seemed textbook hitting a guy on the sidelines. The second could have gone either way but both looked like cheap shots. Oh and nice job not knowing the rule Al "I have been washed up and living on my reputation for years" Michaels.

Seattle WR had a facemask non-call on his first TD. Twisted the defenders head to the side preventing him from tracking the ball. Announcers pointed it out, but the officials missed it. Would've taken 7 points off the board as the defender got called for Pass interference and they would have offset.

I also don't think the stiff arm is illegal now, is it? I see RB's doing it all the time.

Edited by What a Tuel

Seattle WR had a facemask non-call on his first TD. Twisted the defenders head to the side preventing him from tracking the ball. Announcers pointed it out, but the officials missed it. Would've taken 7 points off the board as the defender got called for Pass interference and they would have offset.

I also don't think the stiff arm is illegal now, is it? I see RB's doing it all the time.

Hands cannot be thrust forward above the frame to contact an opponent on the neck, face or head. Copied from NFL rule book