Jim Kelly on espn about our situation 1/4

The Tomcat

Fire Whaley..

Polian - President

Reich - HC

Wade - DC

Pill - OC

quite a inside fan to just write "pill" as the oc, like half the people on the board would know who that is, i do of course, best qb we had since kelly besides flutie, never got a fair chance

tt didnt use the middle til the last few games and when he did he became a 200+ to 300 yard passer. this was what id been waiting for, all id been waiting for, he will be far more productive next year now that he wiped the $hit out of his eyes that was blocking his view of the middle of the field.

Edited by re enlightener

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who could not care less what Jim Kelly thinks about the current state of the Bills?

No you're not

His opinion is about as insightful as anyone else on this board

Bills fans HAVE GOT TO STOP evaluating our QB's relative to the dismal two decades we've had at the position. How does he compare to the rest of the LEAGUE?

He's in the group with Flacco, Dalton and Eli that are good enough to win you a lot of games if you have a talented team

Do you disagree that he played well enough for us to at least win 10 games?

I am. If he'd played good enough to win 10 games we would have won 10 games.

We had 1st and goal for the win Vs Hawks and Fish. If he had gotten us in someway somehow in those we would be talking playoffs now, not getting a new coach. That's what a good QB does.

He comes up small when we need him most. That's what Jimbo said and I agree 110%.

No you're not

His opinion is about as insightful as anyone else on this board

He's in the group with Flacco, Dalton and Eli that are good enough to win you a lot of games if you have a talented team

There isn't a coach around that would take Tyrod over those guys.

I watched the interview on NFL insiders on ESPN and Bill Polian was also there giving his input.

Both basically saying that the long term answer at QB isn't currently on the team and that Tyrod is a bridge QB.

Polian also went on to say that the org needs a football man at the top making the right decisions and keeping the team headed in the right direction and that man isn't there. He already turned down the job so he isn't saying that just because he wants the job. He is right of course. Even with an elite QB the team won't succeed without a great coaching staff, HC, OC, DC, ST coach and quality players at every position. Who is going to find them as the current GM has already taken part in the last few hires!

Then, Doug Whaley was so fixated on making EJ succeed that he failed to see other talented QB's the last few years. Derek Carr comes to mind. He thought EJ was the guy so he spent two first rounders on a WR when the team still didn't have it's franchise QB. Which trumps all other positions. Plus, the team still has holes in a few areas.

I get the impression that Tyrod won't be in Buffalo this season too.

What I'm hearing you say:

All we need is a top 10 WR and top 10 defense to go along with our historically good rush attack and then our QB would be serviceable.

If he was somewhere in the middle of the pack then his record in games facing a deficit would be much closer to .500 and not 2-14 (or whatever it's up to now). Sorry, but everything you're pawning above as fact is highly debatable.

I didn't say that we need a top 10 WR. I just said TT needs receivers that aren't bottom of the barrel. When you go most of the season without Sammy and you are throwing to guys like Goodwin,Hardin,and Hunter that isn't helpful to any QB. In fact a top 10 defense would be helpful too. That's what Rex was supposed to bring us, and it's what we had before he tore it apart. I'm not a big TT guy. I'm just saying it's ridiculous that some people think the playoffs would be impossible with TT as QB. The Texans with Osweiler and Savage are in the playoffs along with the Chiefs who are a perfect example of a soild all around team with average QB play. TT gives us average QB much like Alex Smith. It's not going to win Super Bowls but it is possible to get you to the playoffs. TT is not the long term answer, and he has tons of flaws. However, we are closer to the playoffs with him than we are doing something like playing a rookie next season. We just need better all around team play. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I didn't say that we need a top 10 WR. I just said TT needs receivers that aren't bottom of the barrel. When you go most of the season without Sammy and you are throwing to guys like Goodwin,Hardin,and Hunter that isn't helpful to any QB. In fact a top 10 defense would be helpful too. That's what Rex was supposed to bring us, and it's what we had before he tore it apart. I'm not a big TT guy. I'm just saying it's ridiculous that some people think the playoffs would be impossible with TT as QB. The Texans with Osweiler and Savage are in the playoffs along with the Chiefs who are a perfect example of a all around team with average QB play. TT gives us average QB much like Alex Smith. It's not going to win Super Bowls but it is possible to get you to the playoffs. TT is not the long term answer, and he has tons of flaws. However, we are closer to the playoffs with him than we are doing something like playing a rookie next season. We just need better all around team play.

Okay, first, the Texans went to the playoffs by winning--by far--the worst division. Second, The Chiefs have WON GAMES because of scores on defense and special teams. Finally, I don't see how a rookie, or any other QB for that matter, could produce significantly less than Tyrod did from a passing standpoint. So this idea that bagging him means bagging the seasons is something I don't buy.

Okay, first, the Texans went to the playoffs by winning--by far--the worst division. Second, The Chiefs have WON GAMES because of scores on defense and special teams. Finally, I don't see how a rookie, or any other QB for that matter, could produce significantly less than Tyrod did from a passing standpoint. So this idea that bagging him means bagging the seasons is something I don't buy.

Yes the Chiefs have won with special teams and defense this year. They have done so consistently for several years. That was supposed to be our blueprint under the defense minded coach Rex. As far as a rookie QB it is in fact quite possible to produce less than TT. Apparently people have forgotten Holcomb,Edwards,Fitz,Manuel,Brohm,and all the other QBs we've had who did nothing at all. TT is not a great passer and can't read a defense, but he does contribute with his legs. When you add that to the equation along with his ability to protect the ball he is an average QB. I don't think he will ever be more. It's just ridiculous to think that Kizer or Watson or some other bum like Glennon is going to make us any better next season. There is no reason to let TT go next season. There is also no reason to place all the blame for missing the playoffs on TT. Three two hundred yard rushers says everything you need to know about the team this season. It's just not as sexy to talk about how much the defense sucked when you can talk about how badly we need Joe Montana. That's why people focus solely on the QB. It's a simpler solution than looking at the big picture. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Yes the Chiefs have won with special teams and defense this year. They have done so consistently for several years. That was supposed to be our blueprint under the defense minded coach Rex. As far as a rookie QB it is in fact quite possible to produce less than TT. Apparently people have forgotten Holcomb,Edwards,Fitz,Manuel,Brohm,and all the other QBs we've had who did nothing at all. TT is not a great passer and can't read a defense, but he does contribute with his legs. When you add that to the equation along with his ability to protect the ball he is an average QB. I don't think he will ever be more. It's just ridiculous to think that Kizer or Watson or some other bum like Glennon is going to make us any better next season. There is no reason to let TT go next season. There is also no reason to place all the blame for missing the playoffs on TT. Three two hundred yard rushers says everything you need to know about the team this season. It's just not as sexy to talk about how much the defense sucked when you can talk about how badly we need Joe Montana. That's why people focus solely on the QB. It's a simpler solution than looking at the big picture.

There are 27.5 million reasons to let TT walk.

There are 27.5 million reasons to let TT walk.

Because the Pegula's can't afford it? Let's just throw out a bum free agent or throw a rookie into the fire? I don't understand why you wouldn't keep TT while continuing the QB search. The myth of TT having a big contract makes no sense to me. He's a middle of the road QB. You have to pay QB's. Ps regarding the Texans winning a crap division. They beat two playoff teams in the Lions and the Chiefs. We beat one in the Bradyless Pats. Our defense sucked so much this season I doubt we could have won any division including the AFC south. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I watched the interview on NFL insiders on ESPN and Bill Polian was also there giving his input.

Both basically saying that the long term answer at QB isn't currently on the team and that Tyrod is a bridge QB. If Tyrod is a bridge then half the QBs inthe NFL are too.

Polian also went on to say that the org needs a football man at the top making the right decisions and keeping the team headed in the right direction His son Chris and that man isn't there. Thank god He already turned down the job so he isn't saying that just because he wants the job. That ship sailed when Dougy Marrone tried his power play He is right of course. Even with an elite QB the team won't succeed without a great coaching staff, HC, OC, DC, ST coach and quality players at every position. Brilliant, Bill. All you have to do is have the best people at every position Who is going to find them as the current GM has already taken part in the last few hires! Taken part as in went he along with his bosses wishes.

Then, Doug Whaley was so fixated on making EJ succeed that he failed to see other talented QB's the last few years. Derek Carr comes to mind. So Bill says draft a QB but then give up and draft another the following year? He thought EJ was the guy so he spent two first rounders on a WR when the team still didn't have it's franchise QB. Which trumps all other positions. Maybe but Watkins is still a great player. Plus, the team still has holes in a few areas. Name a team without holes.

I get the impression that Tyrod won't be in Buffalo this season too. Odds are he will be.

No you're not

No he's in the group that makes the pro bowl when the group you listed has better things to do.

It's really not that hard to see. He's 25th in yards and can't beat .500 teams.

Freaking Eli and Flacco. Lol. You know they win rings right ?

I can't even.

Because the Pegula's can't afford it? Let's just throw out a bum free agent or throw a rookie into the fire? I don't understand why you wouldn't keep TT while continuing the QB search. The myth of TT having a big contract makes no sense to me. He's a middle of the road QB. You have to pay QB's. Ps regarding the Texans winning a crap division. They beat two playoff teams in the Lions and the Chiefs. We beat one in the Bradyless Pats. Our defense sucked so much this season I doubt we could have won any division including the AFC south.

There's a thing called the salary cap.

Both basically saying that the long term answer at QB isn't currently on the team and that Tyrod is a bridge QB. If Tyrod is a bridge then half the QBs inthe NFL are too.

Polian also went on to say that the org needs a football man at the top making the right decisions and keeping the team headed in the right direction His son Chris and that man isn't there. Thank god He already turned down the job so he isn't saying that just because he wants the job. That ship sailed when Dougy Marrone tried his power play He is right of course. Even with an elite QB the team won't succeed without a great coaching staff, HC, OC, DC, ST coach and quality players at every position. Brilliant, Bill. All you have to do is have the best people at every position Who is going to find them as the current GM has already taken part in the last few hires! Taken part as in went he along with his bosses wishes.

Then, Doug Whaley was so fixated on making EJ succeed that he failed to see other talented QB's the last few years. Derek Carr comes to mind. So Bill says draft a QB but then give up and draft another the following year? He thought EJ was the guy so he spent two first rounders on a WR when the team still didn't have it's franchise QB. Which trumps all other positions. Maybe but Watkins is still a great player. Plus, the team still has holes in a few areas. Name a team without holes.

I get the impression that Tyrod won't be in Buffalo this season too. Odds are he will be.

Good points. TT may be a bridge, but why do so many want to tear down the bridge before we know what's on the other side? You keep the bridge up until you know you never have to cross back to the other side again.

Good points. TT may be a bridge, but why do so many want to tear down the bridge before we know what's on the other side? You keep the bridge up until you know you never have to cross back to the other side again.

Let me be clear: I think there's folly either way you manage TT. I won't be bummed if he leaves, I won't be bummed if he stays. I couldn't really care less.

There's a thing called the salary cap.

Yes, and QB's no matter how good they are tend to consume a good portion of it. We have to let other guys go. That's just the way it works.

Let me be clear: I think there's folly either way you manage TT. I won't be bummed if he leaves, I won't be bummed if he stays. I couldn't really care less.

Fair enough. I can understand that stance. TT leaving just concerns me because it makes me ask a simple question. Who will be our QB next season? There is no definitive answer. That's why you don't just let him go imo. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Yes, and QB's no matter how good they are tend to consume a good portion of it. We have to let other guys go. That's just the way it works.

Fair enough. I can understand that stance. TT leaving just concerns me because it makes me ask a simple question. Who will be our QB next season? There is no definitive answer. That's why you don't just let him go imo.

And it's a ****ty reason to keep a QB at $27.5M, imo. But I hear you.