What would make sense for selecting the next HC.

Tipster19

I don't believe that bringing in an unproven HC is feasible the way that this organization is in such an influx unless it was someone who has ties to Buffalo, the franchise or the region and that would be for public relation purposes only. I would fully expect that if that's not the case, and I don't believe that that will happen, that it will be a former HC that has experience in running a football team. One of the things that has been mentioned is not having enough players on the field and we all witnessed the Chinese firedrill it was getting players and plays into the field. Another thing that I have noticed a few times this year was the lack of urgency and clock management when it got to be near or under the 2 minute warning before halves and at the end of the game. Anyways while it might exciting and/or worth getting a fresh new talent in here to run this team I just don't think that the Pegulas & Co will have enough confidence in taking that kind of risk on an unproven HC.

I don't believe that bringing in an unproven HC is feasible the way that this organization is in such an influx unless it was someone who has ties to Buffalo, the franchise or the region and that would be for public relation purposes only. I would fully expect that if that's not the case, and I don't believe that that will happen, that it will be a former HC that has experience in running a football team. One of the things that has been mentioned is not having enough players on the field and we all witnessed the Chinese firedrill it was getting players and plays into the field. Another thing that I have noticed a few times this year was the lack of urgency and clock management when it got to be near or under the 2 minute warning before halves and at the end of the game. Anyways while it might exciting and/or worth getting a fresh new talent in here to run this team I just don't think that the Pegulas & Co will have enough confidence in taking that kind of risk on an unproven HC.

I think the thing to realize is with very few exceptions, all interviewing HC are "unproven HC", whether they've worked as HC before or not.

Let's take two examples.

Bill Belichick. No one today would consider him an unproven HC. He's the longest tenured HC in the NFL now, if I recall. And he's not available for hire.

But, when he was available, he was Bill Belichick who had 4 seasons of "meh" and one good season with the Cleveland Browns, then returned to being a coordinator and had success there - not a proven HC at all.

Tom Coughlin. He coached the Giants for 12 years, including a SB and 6 winning seasons. Yet, his last winning season was in 2012 followed by 4 "meh" seasons. So while he's a vastly experienced head coach, he's not "proven" he can win or "proven" he can take a team mired in mediocrity and turn it around.

This isn't to dis on Coughlin, not at all - it's to make the point that basically, anyone you can hire is unproven in some way or another.

What makes sense to me is that we stop focusing on the hot mastermind coordinator of the season. In my opinion the head coach is not supposed to be a hot coordinator. The HC needs to be able to lead, communicate, motivate, direct, and delegate. A good coordinator doesn't necessarily make a good head coach. Just like a great salesman/woman doesn't necessarily make a great manager. The job duties are different.

Mike McCarthy was the OC for the 49ers for one year before becoming the head coach. His offense finished dead last in the NFL before becoming the Packers' coach. Andy Reid was the QB coach before becoming a head coach.

On the other side, think of excellent coordinators like Dick LeBeau, Norv Turner, Mike Martz, Steve Spagnuolo. They were all terrible as the head guy.

This article has an interesting take.

https://nflphilosophy.com/the-failure-of-head-coaches/

What makes sense to me is that we stop focusing on the hot mastermind coordinator of the season. In my opinion the head coach is not supposed to be a hot coordinator. The HC needs to be able to lead, communicate, motivate, direct, and delegate. A good coordinator doesn't necessarily make a good head coach. Just like a great salesman/woman doesn't necessarily make a great manager. The job duties are different.

Mike McCarthy was the OC for the 49ers for one year before becoming the head coach. His offense finished dead last in the NFL before becoming the Packers' coach. Andy Reid was the QB coach before becoming a head coach.

On the other side, think of excellent coordinators like Dick LeBeau, Norv Turner, Mike Martz, Steve Spagnuolo. They were all terrible as the head guy.

Great insight and a great article to support it. Interesting that you mentioned Norv Turner, I forgot about him. Although he resigned he didn't retire. I would like to see a collection of veteran coaches make up our staff. A collection like Coughlin for HC, Norv for for OC and Wade Phillips for D.C., or something of that nature. It's great that the Pegulas are willing to spend big $$$ on the players and although they did on the 2 previous coaches it was money misspent. I would like to see them spend the money on a good veteran coaching staff.

Interesting article but is doesn't say how to find the coaches who embody the abilities to be a HC.

I wouldnt put Mike Martz in there, didnt he win a super bowl or go to one with the Rams?

The more I think about it the more Frank Reich makes sense. He has a congenial personality, which would squell the image of Whaley not being able to get along with a HC and it would help rebuild the public relations of the fan base. If this were to happen then it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Polian was brought on board as a Senior Advisor as well. Furthermore Reich being a former QB and offensive minded coach it would make even more sense for the mere fact of working with our QBs, whether it be Tyrod, Cardale or whoever. One other thing, our 1st pick in the draft will be a QB, whether they stay at the #10 spot or trade up, which is reasonable to think because we're not that far down the ladder to move up.

Great insight and a great article to support it. Interesting that you mentioned Norv Turner, I forgot about him. Although he resigned he didn't retire. I would like to see a collection of veteran coaches make up our staff. A collection like Coughlin for HC, Norv for for OC and Wade Phillips for D.C., or something of that nature. It's great that the Pegulas are willing to spend big $$$ on the players and although they did on the 2 previous coaches it was money misspent. I would like to see them spend the money on a good veteran coaching staff.

I would go with Gus Bradley as DC more so because his 4-3 style is a better fit for our defense. Norv as OC, yes. If Coughlin (or even Lynn) could attract those two, then I'd be all for it.

In all honesty, I'd love to see Lynn get the job IF (I repeat - IF) he could have those two as his veteran assistants.

I think the thing to realize is with very few exceptions, all interviewing HC are "unproven HC", whether they've worked as HC before or not.

Let's take two examples.

Bill Belichick. No one today would consider him an unproven HC. He's the longest tenured HC in the NFL now, if I recall. And he's not available for hire.

But, when he was available, he was Bill Belichick who had 4 seasons of "meh" and one good season with the Cleveland Browns, then returned to being a coordinator and had success there - not a proven HC at all.

Tom Coughlin. He coached the Giants for 12 years, including a SB and 6 winning seasons. Yet, his last winning season was in 2012 followed by 4 "meh" seasons. So while he's a vastly experienced head coach, he's not "proven" he can win or "proven" he can take a team mired in mediocrity and turn it around.

This isn't to dis on Coughlin, not at all - it's to make the point that basically, anyone you can hire is unproven in some way or another.

To your point.. what I would give for Jim Harbaugh...