MMQB Rips Bills

norton20

I don't understand this. He makes a bunch of inconsistent points and concludes that Sam Bradford is the answer.

Sam Bradford is never the answer to any question involving playoffs. Eagles pulled off the biggest heist of the century getting a first rounder for him....

Sorry, but what we see from the outside suggests dysfunction. The way Marrone left, the hiring and then firing of Ryan and the leaks all support the current narrative of infighting and dysfunction. The recent record of the Bills is a slight improvement, but we have not had a particularly tough schedule over the last few years and we continue to lose to teams with winning records.

It is hard to give the front office the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Here's my theory why the Bills get hammered so hard by the national media. Most of these writers pay little attention to the Bills normally. So when a story like a coaching change comes down the pike, what do they do to catch up? Talk to the local Buffalo News writers, of course! They either read or talk to Bucky or Sully to get their hot take on the Bills situation.

Need evidence? Look at the draft pick quote, straight out of Tim Graham's recent story. Ladies and gentlemen, your media echo chamber at work.

From my time in media, this is exactly right.

Our roster isn't terrible. Whaley was director of pro personnel. He picks up decent free agents to fill in holes. Hughes, TT, Zack Brown, Lorax, Shady, and Incognito have helped make this team what it is. He's not good at predicting late round talent in the draft though IMHO. How good/bad were our drafts?

Shaq injury looked bad. Did we know about it or not? It made the team look incompetent.

Ragland TBD.

Adolphus Washington looks pretty decent for a third rounder. Hopefully he can fill KW's shoes someday.

Seymour looks OK for a 6th rounder.

1st no pick. Man I'd love to have this pick and OBJ.

2nd Darby has been pretty good, and was excellent under Donnie Henderson.

3rd John Miller has been a key piece of our run game.

5th Karlos Williams was a beast until his off the field issues. He wasted a golden opportunity.

Many picks for Watkins who can be dominant when healthy, but foot problems don't just go away (speaking from experience).

Cujo looks like our LT of the future. With Glenn at RT we could have the best OL in football.

Preston Brown is our starting MLB. He has some coverage ability, but is a weak tackler IMHO.

I think every scout should submit their selection with the team's (in the moment). After several years the players and scouting staff can be evaluated. Find out wo knows what they're doing and who doesn't. Then we can get rid of the dead weight and let the cream rise to the top.

Right now we have no idea how accountable the scouting staff is. Are they just note takers? Do they make recommendations? Who is most responsible for setting the draft board? Is the pick a consensus? Are trades by consensus? Is Whaley doing whatever he likes? Which drafts are actually his?

I have no answers. The reporters have no idea. Too often it seems there's report multiplicity. One person tweeted it, then ten articles are written about it.

I believe Whaley has put together a playoff roster. IMHO He should get to pick his coach and be judged by the results.

So if I'm reading this right, King is suggesting that the Bills improve their success with first round picks by trading one for Sam Bradford. Sometimes your head just explodes.

Yeah. Sort of a "the Bills should give away their picks because they can't find guys to put on the field anyway" thought there.

And Bradford would be a swing of extremes. Replace your mobile QB and run-first offense with a QB with a golden arm who is a statue in the pocket and operated in pass-happy schemes. Do the Bills have the OL and WRs to go pass-happy next season?