Our last two coaches - Ironic isn't it?

BmarvB

Marrone came in a reputation for offense. The defense became very good, but the offense sucked (he was an o-line coach too, and our line was weak). He leaves, and in comes Rex the highly regarded defensive mind. 2 years later, the offense improved, but he flushed a top 5 defense down the toilet.

Go figure.

Marrone came in a reputation for offense. The defense became very good, but the offense sucked (he was an o-line coach too, and our line was weak). He leaves, and in comes Rex the highly regarded defensive mind. 2 years later, the offense improved, but he flushed a top 5 defense down the toilet.

Go figure.

Marrone and Hackett were JV coaches. They had a mediocre stint with SU before marketing genius Brandon decided that hiring an SU coach would further regionalize the bills. Schwartz and Pettine were the defense and were both good at it.

Rex went to the jets and started out well and went downhill from there. Hasn't adapted to the game like other coaches have and still thinks he could run the team and the defense at the same time and didn't get into the fine details because of it.

I'll never understand why a HC that runs the D/O has a coordinator along side of him. Basically you hire a guy that is suppose to run the unit but basically does nothing or tells the players otherwise. Then in Rex's case he has him, his brother and Thurman telling them different things. No wonder the defense is all over the place.

Tom Landry was a defensive genius after being a player coach for the New York Giants. Most remember and think of him as an offensive genius. He was, but maybe it was because he equally understood both sides of the football?

We don't need an offensive or defensive minded coach. We just need a good HEAD Coach.

We don't need an offensive or defensive minded coach. We just need a good HEAD Coach.

EXACTLY!!!!! A good Head coach who can also attract or develop good coordinators.

Who was Rex's OC in his first 2 years with the Jets when they went to those 2 AFC Championships?

Go figure.

Yes. The Buffalo Bills are like a box of chocolates - You never know what you are going to get.

Taking bets on what type of team shows up next year. Anybody's guess.

Yes. The Buffalo Bills are like a box of chocolates - You never know what you are going to get.

Taking bets on what type of team shows up next year. Anybody's guess.

I'd love to see Kyle Shanahan as HC, Anthony Lynn retained as OC with Gus Bradley running the defense. Then we'll need a decent draft, and a couple more good FA additions, and we're in the playoffs. If TT stays, I think Kyle and Lynn together will get more out of him than Rex ever got out of his QB's.

I'd love to see Kyle Shanahan as HC, Anthony Lynn retained as OC with Gus Bradley running the defense. Then we'll need a decent draft, and a couple more good FA additions, and we're in the playoffs. If TT stays, I think Kyle and Lynn together will get more out of him than Rex ever got out of his QB's.

Would Kyle Shanahan want a QB like Tyrod? Would he want to stake his coaching career in Buffalo on Tyrod succeeding here? Because that is what he would be doing. If they opt in on Tyrod - Tyrod is here for 3 years before they will realistically be able to afford to trade or cut him.

If they hire Lynn as Head Coach then I expect they will promote someone else from the offensive staff to offensive coordinator. Not sure who they would get for DC. But I bet that neither the OC or DC will be "big names" if they stick with Lynn. And that is what I think they are most likely to do. I would rather see a couple really experienced proven successful coordinators here no matter who the head coach is. Don't know how you get that with Lynn.

Go figure.

Ha ha, now all that we need is a guy that stinks all the way around and we will be rolling!! Paging Jeff Fisher...

This goes to show that you don't hire, as a head coach, an offensive coordinator to fix your offense, and you don't hire a defensive coordinator to fix your defense. You hire a leader with vision and communication skills (much like a good CEO). Let the head coach hire the right guys to fix the team. This is why the hot coordinators don't always succeed as head coaches.

And stay away from the head coaches who act as a de facto coordinator. That's not the head coaches responsibility.