Dumpster fire at ESPN

racecitybills

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buffalo Bills are a dumpster fire for hiring a 4-12 head coach and now allowing the same guy who had a hand in hiring the last two Bills head coaches go on to hire another one. The interim HC said he wasn't even in the room when the decision was made to sit Tyrod Taylor. Really shows the world this FO has no clue to have the HC go to a PC uninformed.

Wait, how did Lynn go to the presser uninformed, or rather, in what way do you feel he went uninformed?

He knew Tyrod wasn't going to play. He said right up front it was a business decision, meaning Whaley and Brandon's people in some combination. He said right up front he was OK with it, next man up, evaluate depth. He didn't want to talk about (or didn't know) the basis for the "business decision" (said he wasn't in the room when it was made) but why does he need to know? He knows what the decision is, he says he's OK with it, end of story.

This would maybe mean something if these guys went on the record or Ty Dunne asked them how they explain not tackling.

OK, so you don't have a good opinion of unsourced, anonymous quotes or accusations, got it. I can support that stance.

Funny that you should mention Whaley given that I am convinced that it was Whaley or people close to him (with his consent) who undermined Rex anonymously with people like LaCanfora etc. Hmmmm.

Except when it's an attack on Whaley, then evidently unsourced, anonymous quotes are somehow persuasive to you? Or do you have some facts and non-anonymous sources to base your belief upon but you don't feel a need to reveal them 'cuz unsourced, anonymous should be good with us?

Inconsistant and illogical a bit, aren't you here?

No one knows who is leaking, but it seems logical that it's absolutely not in Whaley's interest to be seen as a "coach killer" or an unsupportive backstabbing GM, just before he goes a huntin' new coaches. And the way to not be seen as one, is not to be one.

No one needed to backstab Rex. He backstabbed himself with his game mismanagement.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Wait, how did Lynn go to the presser uninformed, or rather, in what way do you feel he went uninformed?

He knew Tyrod wasn't going to play. He said right up front it was a business decision, meaning Whaley and Brandon's people in some combination. He said right up front he was OK with it, next man up, evaluate depth. He didn't want to talk about (or didn't know) the basis for the "business decision" (said he wasn't in the room when it was made) but why does he need to know? He knows what the decision is, he says he's OK with it, end of story.

OK, so you don't have a good opinion of unsourced, anonymous quotes or accusations, got it. I can support that stance.

Except when it's an attack on Whaley, then evidently unsourced, anonymous quotes are somehow persuasive to you? Or do you have some facts and non-anonymous sources to base your belief upon but you don't feel a need to reveal them 'cuz unsourced, anonymous should be good with us?

Inconsistant and illogical a bit, aren't you here?

No one knows who is leaking, but it seems logical that it's absolutely not in Whaley's interest to be seen as a "coach killer" or an unsupportive backstabbing GM, just before he goes a huntin' new coaches. And the way to not be seen as one, is not to be one.

No one needed to backstab Rex. He backstabbed himself with his game mismanagement.

To the extent that someone wanted to blame, there were two options:

(1) Head Coach and coaching staff;

(2) General manager and front office.

It makes absolute sense to conclude that those leaking unfavorable information to the media about the HC would be someone from the front office (as opposed to Rex leaking bad stuff about himself which makes no sense).

As far as being a coach killer, I agree it is self defeating. Sadly for the Bills, it is too late (in the minds of some) especially after how some interpreted Marrone's departure etc.

which is all the more clear now that the median has truly turned on him locally. They realized whaleys play in throwing Rex under the bus and had enough, plus theybdint like him ... and he went to national reporters before local.

Big difference in national media coverage with whaley vs local

Get over the idea the "leak" is Whaley. It has no facts behind it. The only "throwing" the Media has truthfully called Whaley on is, not stepping up to defend him or refute the reports that he would be fired...That is true.

It would be pretty senseless of Whaley to stand up and say it's not true, given that the firing decision is up to the Pegulas and he isn't their spokesman. It would also be pretty senseless of Whaley to backstab a current coach just before going on a hunt for another. Whaley does appear to have several brain cells to rub together, so I call "baloney" on the "Whaley's play" thing, until or unless a real source and claim about what he did shows up.

The Pegulas have eyes. They can see 10 and 12 men on the field and stupid challenges and play calling that hamper the team just the same as the rest of us.

Get over the idea the "leak" is Whaley. It has no facts behind it. The only "throwing" the Media has truthfully called Whaley on is, not stepping up to defend him or refute the reports that he would be fired...That is true.

It would be pretty senseless of Whaley to stand up and say it's not true, given that the firing decision is up to the Pegulas and he isn't their spokesman. It would also be pretty senseless of Whaley to backstab a current coach just before going on a hunt for another. Whaley does appear to have several brain cells to rub together, so I call "baloney" on the "Whaley's play" thing, until or unless a real source and claim about what he did shows up.

The Pegulas have eyes. They can see 10 and 12 men on the field and stupid challenges and play calling that hamper the team just the same as the rest of us.

I just don't know. I would never expect john wawrow to give sources away, nor any other media. but in just speaking with him at a few tailgates I do not think he particularly cares for whaley. its all speculation and I walk on eggshells saying this because I know he liked rex and was under the impression rex had 3 years to get by unless he completely stunk the room up. I guess what happened was enough.

Ross Cockrell is a zone corner... just like Artie Burns in the Burgh. He is not a corner you put on an island. He might have been ok in Schwartz scheme. He wouldn't have gotten out of ST land in Rexville.

Correct, and Cockrell was drafted in 2014 with Schwartz as DC.

I like a lot of Tim Graham's stuff but the article slamming Whaley based on # of draft picks still on the team = 41 was misguided. Correlation is not causation. One reason we have fewer draft picks on the team is because guys who were drafted under one HC/coordinator, no longer fit with what the next guy wants to do so off they go. I believe that applies to 3 of our 2014 picks.

I just don't know. I would never expect john wawrow to give sources away, nor any other media. but in just speaking with him at a few tailgates I do not think he particularly cares for whaley. its all speculation and I walk on eggshells saying this because I know he liked rex and was under the impression rex had 3 years to get by unless he completely stunk the room up. I guess what happened was enough.

Whaley doesn't seem to be the likeable life of the party, that seems true enough. It's one thing to play your cards close to your vest (and not be a media favorite because of it) or be the sort of manager whose words must be taken as "this is what I believe right now" (and my belief may change as circumstances do) and another to be a back-stabbing double-dealing d*ck, though.

IMO as far as the Pegulas are concerned, and it's just my opinion, the real ultimatum that Rex got last year after the Washington game had to do with how lackluster and unprepared the team looked in that game. I think it might be true that Rex got called in and expectations laid out: If you lose, lose while firing on all cylinders. I think the Pegulas gave Rex lots of rope - hire whoever you want to get this thing fixed. And then "to whom much is given, much is expected" kicked in.

To the extent that someone wanted to blame, there were two options:

(1) Head Coach and coaching staff;

(2) General manager and front office.

It makes absolute sense to conclude that those leaking unfavorable information to the media about the HC would be someone from the front office (as opposed to Rex leaking bad stuff about himself which makes no sense).

As far as being a coach killer, I agree it is self defeating. Sadly for the Bills, it is too late (in the minds of some) especially after how some interpreted Marrone's departure etc.

The point you don't seem to recognize, Peter, is that in the case of the Bills organization, the GM and the Front office are not the same, and the GM has no control over most of the Front office. There was a "triumverate", with the HC, GM, and CEO/president all reporting directly to Pegula.

Most of the front office, including the guys who negotiate the player contracts - Overdorf, and possibly Monos, report up through Brandon, who reports directly to Pegula. If Pegula wants to make a move and starts asking the finance guys (Lamattina, Overdorf etc) about financial implications, there are lots of places it could leak, that have nothing to do with Whaley.

Whaley controls the player personnel people (scouts, and possibly Jim Monos), but if you go look at the org chart, there are plenty of people in the FO over whom he has no control.

In an organization like the Bills, which is small and collaborative (as Kirby Jackson described), decisions coming down from Pegula (or being considered by Pegula and communicated to his staff and to their staffs) could leak out pretty much anywhere.

It sucks, but when you understand the organization, you understand that it's not at all clear where the information would be coming from.