WEEK 15 - ALL 22 REVIEW - O LINE/ QB UNFORCED ERRORS

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /
How the QB did on every pass play (I may have missed a snap or two here or there. There also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

Sufficient protection means that TT had time to hit his drop and had at least a second to scan the field.

DISCLAIMER (I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 30 - (last week was 41 for reference)

LINE BREAKDOWNS: 6/30 or 20% (last week was 4 /41 or 10% for reference) In other words TT didn't really have a chance on 20% of his drop backs. Based on historical data the threshold for average O Line performance has been around a 20% breakdown rate.. so lets say the O Line was average against the Steelers. They gave up a few pressures ( Bud Dupree terrorized them) but several of the sacks they gave up were on Tyrod.

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION: 24/30 or 80% (37/41 snaps or 90% )In other words TT had a relatively clean pocket 80% of the time.

UNFORCED QB ERRORS: 7/30 or 29% (last week was 8/37 or 22%) Based on my 2015/16 studies if the Bills' QBs commit 5 unforced QB errors or less during a game their odds of winning are solid. TT had 7 unforced errors by my count..which is well over the danger line. He left some plays on the table and took some unnecessary sacks.

BOTTOM LINE

CORDY GLENN - it was great to see Cordy back in Pro Bowl form. He gave up zero pressures to my eye and appears to be healthy again.

GROY SOLID AGAIN - Ryan Groy has been outstanding filling in for Eric Wood. From what I saw he gave up zero pressures again.

INCOGNITO SOLID - This is 5 games in a row of solid Incognito pass protect.

JOHN MILLER SHAKY- Miller gave up several pressures against the Steelers.

Q1 10:34 - Miller beaten.. gives up sack

dxzR9rT.gif

Q2- Miller gives up another pressure ( Bud Dupree is good)

7QWMbE2XV3.gif

MILLS NOT TIRE FIRE.. BUT- Like Miller.. Mills had trouble with Bud Dupree

GF4wJmFW9Y.gif

O LINE PASS BLOCK GRADES

CORDY GLENN - A
RICHIE INCOGNITO - A
RYAN GROY - A
JOHN MILLER - D
JORDAN MILLS - D

TYROD 1st QUARTER MELTDOWN Of the 7 Unforced Errors TT committed.. 4 of them came in the first quarter. These errors were a big reason the Bills found themselves in a hole they could not dig out of. The first drive was not pretty. John Miller gave up a bad sack on the very first play.

POOR THROWS

Q1 9:17 UNFORCED ERROR 2 plays later TT tries to be too cute with a deep out route to Goodwin and overthrows him

WmqJUdW.gif

TAKING UNECESSARY SACKS

q1 5:22 UNFORCED ERROR/ SACK - TT has time initially .. has Clay open in the seam.. apparently doesnt see him and tucks and runs taking a sack

8gyAsLrekk.gif

Q1 - UNFORCED ERROR/SACK - if TT hangs in the pocket for an extra .5 second and keeps his eyes downfield here he will see Woods coming open on the crossing route. Instead he bails early.. tucks and runs and is sacked.

Uk23yfyLKH-woods-is-open-on-crossing-rou

TYROD INTERCEPTIONS - I dont have GIFs for these.. but suffice it to say that neither of the interceptions can be attributed to O Line breakdowns. The q1 INT that bounced off of Woods hands due to TT getting the ball to him late when it should have been there right when Woods came out of his break. The INT in the 2nd half was a case of TT misreading the defense and thinking they were in man when they were in zone.

TYROD POSITIVES - One nice trend that weve seen over the past few weeks is TT starting to use the middle of the field more. By my count 7 of his 30 pass attempts were targeting the middle of the field. He executed several tight window well timed over the middle passes against the Steelers.

Q2 - nicely executed slant throw to Sammy for the TD

Q2 4:12 Nice timing throw on the in route to Sammy

3tAvHov.gif

q2 3:47 nice throw to Clay over the middle in tight window

RTxqO9L.gif

GAME SUMMARY
The o line certainly has had better days (Bud Dupree was a monster) .. and several of TTs receivers let him down with drops (Watkins, Clay).. but at the end of the day.. for the second week in a row the majority of the blame for a sputtering passing attack lays at #5s feet.
__ _____
TYROD SEASON SUMMARY - So .. here we are..14 weeks into the season with a reasonable body of work to judge TT on.

POSITIVES -
QUICK GAME PROGESS FLASHES - At times this year Tyrod has been able to show progress on the areas he was most criticized for in 2015. There were several games where he demonstrated the ability to execute the quick game.. as well as attack the short/intermediate middle area of the field( Patriots 1st game, Seahawks, Raiders, Steelers). However.. there were also many games where he failed to execute on these types of throws. The good news is that he is capable of executing these types of throws. The bad news is that it is unclear whether or not he has the mental makeup/ capacity to execute them on a consistent basis

DEEP BALL Tyrod is still deadly throwing the deep ball. Unfortunately.. teams have recognized this (particularly the last few weeks) and he hasnt had many opportunities to take shots lately.

MOBILITY - TTs mobility can be a blessing and a curse.. but at the end of the day his ability to scramble, buy time and run if necessary (when properly implemented) can be an asset

RED ZONE - To my eye TT actually made some nice aggressive tight window throws in the end zone this year.

NEGATIVES

POCKET PRESENCE - Quite often TT hurts his team by bailing out of pocket too early when an extra half second and keeping his eyes downfield would allow his receivers to complete their routes and be available. This deficiency has led to many sacks and missed opportunities

FOOTWORK - For the most part.. TTs footwork has been sloppy. There were very few examples of him hitting his drop and getting rid of the ball in a smooth manner.

TOO CONSERVATIVE - There have been times when TT actually has hung in the pocket for that extra half second.. has seen a receiver open .. and has decided not to pull the trigger because the window is too tight. This is his biggest hurdle to overcome in my opinion

ANTICIPATION While he has shown flashes of improving his timing and anticipation in the quick game.. his timing and anticipation on intermediary routes leaves much to be desired. This deficiency may be tied to the previous point about him being too conservative and not having enough faith in his receivers to make a play if he throws it into tight windows.

MY TYROD CONCLUSION
o I dont think weve seen his ceiling.. but we are pretty close to seeing it. I can see that he has been working on some things. .and we've seen flashes where he's overcome some of these obstacles. I have no doubt that he is working hard to fix things. However.. I think at this point..as far as a developmental prospect he pretty much is what he is. I

If we pick up the option it wont be that horrible to me as paying him to be the 20th best QB in the league is probably about right where he fits in. It is unlikely that we can find someone else through free agency or trade that will be better in 2017. That being said.. if we dont pick up the option in 2017 I wont be that angry.

o Either way.. .after what I have seen from Tyrod the last few years doing these analyses I see too many flaws in his game to make me believe that he will ever develop into a consistent NFL pocket QB who can execute many different facets of a gameplan. He has had generally solid O Line pass protect for his time here and has done little with it. Accordingly.regardless of whether the Bills decide to pick up his option in 2017 I am now of the opinion that they should draft a QB in the first 3 rounds come hell or high water

Edited by Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /

How the QB did on every pass play (I may have missed a snap or two here or there. There also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

Sufficient protection means that TT had time to hit his drop and had at least a second to scan the field.

DISCLAIMER (I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 30 - (last week was 41 for reference)

LINE BREAKDOWNS: 6/30 or 20% (last week was 4 /41 or 10% for reference) In other words TT didn't really have a chance on 20% of his drop backs. Based on historical data the threshold for average O Line performance has been around a 20% breakdown rate.. so lets say the O Line was average against the Steelers. They gave up a few pressures ( Bud Dupree terrorized them) but several of the sacks they gave up were on Tyrod.

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION: 24/30 or 80% (37/41 snaps or 90% )In other words TT had a relatively clean pocket 80% of the time.

UNFORCED QB ERRORS: 7/30 or 29% (last week was 8/37 or 22%) Based on my 2015/16 studies if the Bills' QBs commit 5 unforced QB errors or less during a game their odds of winning are solid. TT had 7 unforced errors by my count..which is well over the danger line. He left some plays on the table and took some unnecessary sacks.

O LINE BOTTOM LINE

CORDY GLENN - it was great to see Cordy back in Pro Bowl form. He gave up zero pressures to my eye and appears to be healthy again.

GROY SOLID AGAIN - Ryan Groy has been outstanding filling in for Eric Wood. From what I saw he gave up zero pressures again.

INCOGNITO SOLID - This is 5 games in a row of solid Incognito pass protect.

JOHN MILLER SHAKY- Miller gave up several pressures against the Steelers.

Q1 10:34 - Miller beaten.. gives up sack

dxzR9rT.gif

Q2- Miller gives up another pressure ( Bud Dupree is good)

7QWMbE2XV3.gif

MILLS NOT TIRE FIRE.. BUT- Like Miller.. Mills had trouble with Bud Dupree

GF4wJmFW9Y.gif

O LINE PASS BLOCK GRADES

CORDY GLENN - A

RICHIE INCOGNITO - A

RYAN GROY - A

JOHN MILLER - D

JORDAN MILLS - D

TYROD 1st QUARTER MELTDOWN Of the 7 Unforced Errors TT committed.. 4 of them came in the first quarter. These errors were a big reason the Bills found themselves in a hole they could not dig out of. The first drive was not pretty. John Miller gave up a bad sack on the very first play.

POOR THROWS

Q1 9:17 UNFORCED ERROR 2 plays later TT tries to be too cute with a deep out route to Goodwin and overthrows him

WmqJUdW.gif

TAKING UNECESSARY SACKS

q1 5:22 UNFORCED ERROR/ SACK - TT has time initially .. has Clay open in the seam.. apparently doesnt see him and tucks and runs taking a sack

8gyAsLrekk.gif

Q1 - UNFORCED ERROR/SACK - if TT hangs in the pocket for an extra .5 second and keeps his eyes downfield here he will see Woods coming open on the crossing route. Instead he bails early.. tucks and runs and is sacked.

Uk23yfyLKH-woods-is-open-on-crossing-rou

TYROD INTERCEPTIONS I dont have GIFs for these.. but suffice it to say that neither of the interceptions can be attributed to O Line breakdowns. The q1 INT that bounced off of Woods hands due to TT getting the ball to him late when it should have been there right when Woods came out of his break. The INT in the 2nd half was a case of TT misreading the defense and thinking they were in man when they were in zone.

TYROD POSITIVES - One nice trend that weve seen over the past few weeks is TT starting to use the middle of the field more. By my count 7 of his 30 pass attempts were targeting the middle of the field. He executed several tight window well timed over the middle passes against the Steelers.

Q2 - nicely executed slant throw to Sammy for the TD

Q2 4:12 Nice timing throw on the in route to Sammy

3tAvHov.gif

q2 3:47 nice throw to Clay over the middle in tight window

RTxqO9L.gif

GAME SUMMARY

The o line certainly has had better days (Bud Dupree was a monster) .. and several of TTs receivers let him down with drops (Watkins, Clay).. but at the end of the day.. for the second week in a row the majority of the blame for a sputtering passing attack lays at #5s feet.

__ _____

TYROD SEASON SUMMARY - So .. here we are..14 weeks into the season with a reasonable body of work to judge TT on.

POSITIVES -

QUICK GAME PROGESS FLASHES - At times this year Tyrod has been able to show progress on the areas he was most criticized for in 2015. There were several games where he demonstrated the ability to execute the quick game.. as well as attack the short/intermediate middle area of the field( Patriots 1st game, Seahawks, Raiders, Steelers). However.. there were also many games where he failed to execute on these types of throws. The good news is that he is capable of executing these types of throws. The bad news is that it is unclear whether or not he has the mental makeup/ capacity to execute them on a consistent basis

DEEP BALL Tyrod is still deadly throwing the deep ball. Unfortunately.. teams have recognized this (particularly the last few weeks) and he hasnt had many opportunities to take shots lately.

MOBILITY - TTs mobility can be a blessing and a curse.. but at the end of the day his ability to scramble, buy time and run if necessary (when properly implemented) can be an asset

RED ZONE - To my eye TT actually made some nice aggressive tight window throws in the end zone this year.

NEGATIVES

POCKET PRESENCE - Quite often TT hurts his team by bailing out of pocket too early when an extra half second and keeping his eyes downfield would allow his receivers to complete their routes and be available. This deficiency has led to many sacks and missed opportunities

FOOTWORK - For the most part.. TTs footwork has been sloppy. There were very few examples of him hitting his drop and getting rid of the ball in a smooth manner.

TOO CONSERVATIVE - There have been times when TT actually has hung in the pocket for that extra half second.. has seen a receiver open .. and has decided not to pull the trigger because the window is too tight. This is his biggest hurdle to overcome in my opinion

ANTICIPATION While he has shown flashes of improving his timing and anticipation in the quick game.. his timing and anticipation on intermediary routes leaves much to be desired. This deficiency may be tied to the previous point about him being too conservative and not having enough faith in his receivers to make a play if he throws it into tight windows.

MY TYROD CONCLUSION

While I don't necessarily think weve seen his ceiling I do think we are pretty close to seeing it. I can see that he has been working on some things. .and we've seen flashes where he's overcome some of these obstacles. I have no doubt that he is working hard to fix things. However.. I think at this point..as far as a developmental prospect he pretty much is what he is. I

If we pick up the option it wont be that horrible to me as paying him to be the 20th best QB in the league is probably about right where he fits in. It is unlikely that we can find someone else through free agency or trade that will be better in 2017. That being said.. if we dont pick up the option in 2017 I wont be that angry.

Either way.. .after what I have seen from Tyrod the last few years doing these analyses I see too many flaws in his game to make me believe that he will ever develop into a consistent NFL pocket QB who can execute many different facets of a gameplan. He has had generally solid O Line pass protect for his time here and has done little with it. Accordingly.regardless of whether the Bills decide to pick up his option in 2017 I am now of the opinion that they should draft a QB in the first 3 rounds come hell or high water

Also FYI...I'm debating on whether to release my year end O Line grades now or wait til after week 17

I really don't need to analyze Taylor anymore so maybe I'll just trim down my weekly reviews to o line performance only

Edited by Bocephuz

As Whaley said... QB Purgatory

When you take a long hard look at the Buffalo Bills receiver corps this year I'd say the Bills are more in receiver Purgatory.

Sammy Watkins played in only 13 games last year and had 1047 yards and 9 TD's. The player with the most TD's this year is Justin Hunter with 4 and he only has 8 rec for 109 yards on the season.

Robert Woods has 43 receptions for 522 yards, 1 TD.

Marquise Goodwin 24 receptions for 364, 3 TD's.

Sammy Watkins has played injured in only 5 games this season and has 16 receptions for 235 yards, 1 TD.

Charles Clay 12 games, 39 receptions for 375 yards, 1 TD!

Six Bills receivers are currently on IR, Harvin, Powell, Easley, Listenbee, Annen, Gragg.

In 2015 Chris Hogan only had 36 catches for 450 yards and 2 TD's but most of the passes he caught were for first downs. I can only imagine he would have been a big help to the receiving corps this year in Buffalo....had he stayed of course.

Clay hasn't lived up to expectations. Woods has one really good game against Seattle 10 rec for 162 yards and then gets injured.

I see the Patriots signed Malcolm Floyd and at least they will give him a solid look in 2017.

When you take a long hard look at the Buffalo Bills receiver corps this year I'd say the Bills are more in receiver Purgatory.

Sammy Watkins played in only 13 games last year and had 1047 yards and 9 TD's. The player with the most TD's this year is Justin Hunter with 4 and he only has 8 rec for 109 yards on the season.

Sammy Watkins has played injured in only 5 games this season and has 16 receptions for 235 yards, 1 TD.

Six Bills receivers are currently on IR, Harvin, Powell, Easley, Listenbee, Annen, Gragg.

In 2015 Chris Hogan only had 36 catches for 450 yards and 2 TD's but most of the passes he caught were for first downs. I can only imagine he would have been a big help to the receiving corps this year in Buffalo....had he stayed of course.

Clay hasn't lived up to expectations. Woods has one really good game against Seattle 10 rec for 162 yards and then gets injured.

I see the Patriots signed Malcolm Floyd and at least they will give him a solid look in 2017.

It is reasonable to concede that WR turnover/ injuries had an impact on the passing game this year.

Regarding Clay.. I have seen many examples this year where he is open on deep to intermediate routes and TT either doesn't see him.. or sees him but doesn't pull the trigger to throw to him. One example is the one I posted this week

Thanks, again, Hank Jr., for doing this.

My only disagreement is with regard to Taylor's ceiling. He's been in the league for 6 years. He's had 27 starts to show his ceiling. The Bills are #2 in the league for QB sacks (not the good ones). Only the Browns are worse.

He has shown zero improvement in all of the areas most agreed he needed to improve upon (accuracy, decisiveness, holding ball too long, stepping up into the pocket, reading defenses).

He's bad at all of the things you don't want a QB to be bad at.

Again - thanks for doing these. I consider these threads among the most comprehensive, easy to understand (and see, with the visual aids) and beneficial contributions each week. I look forward to more and I look forward to them showing a different QB doing a hell of a lot better.

Go Bills.

What can he get done ? What in this thread made you come to that conclusion?

Win. With a better D with better corners and a new OC - playcalling has been mind boggling.

Must throw at least one deep ball per quarter - zero vs Pittsburgh is unacceptable.

Win. With a better D with better corners and a new OC - playcalling has been mind boggling.

Must throw at least one deep ball per quarter - zero vs Pittsburgh is unacceptable.

That's wishful thinking imo. Remember when Roman was canned and we all were happy Lynn made it better for Tyrod ?

Tyrod doesn't like to throw. He likes to hold the ball and try to run. Idk. Thought he would improve.

...or the WR numbers are less because the QB isn't living up to his end of the bargain. To watch the all 22s and still blame everything and everyone else other than the QB tells me you have some sort of agenda. Why? :wallbash:

Great analysis on Tyrod. He can get it done until a better option arises.

If you take the emotion out of it .. then viewing him as the 20th best qb in the league isn't that crazy

Thanks, again, Hank Jr., for doing this.

My only disagreement is with regard to Taylor's ceiling. He's been in the league for 6 years. He's had 27 starts to show his ceiling. The Bills are #2 in the league for QB sacks (not the good ones). Only the Browns are worse.

He has shown zero improvement in all of the areas most agreed he needed to improve upon (accuracy, decisiveness, holding ball too long, stepping up into the pocket, reading defenses).

He's bad at all of the things you don't want a QB to be bad at.

Again - thanks for doing these. I consider these threads among the most comprehensive, easy to understand (and see, with the visual aids) and beneficial contributions each week. I look forward to more and I look forward to them showing a different QB doing a hell of a lot better.

Go Bills.

I pray for the day to cone when I sit through every passing play every week and see aggressive exciting QB play. God willing in the next 3 years it will happen

There's the problem with TT in a nutshell. If you scheme to take away his deep ball ( as the last 2teams have done) then you have essentially checkmated him

...or the WR numbers are less because the QB isn't living up to his end of the bargain. To watch the all 22s and still blame everything and everyone else other than the QB tells me you have some sort of agenda. Why? :wallbash:

I have no agenda here save wishing the Bills had drafted someone besides Watkins with that 2014 first pick and traded up to get Derek Carr in the second round. This FO stinks and the WR corps this year shows this.

Pretty tough to gauge the starting QB when he has mostly scrubs to throw to all season. The Bills run game stalls during a game and suddenly the power run team turns into a pocket QB throwing team and expect the QB to bail them out. We all know that Tyrod Taylor is a very limited running QB who sometimes finds a big play with a deep ball now and then. This year not so much with a different OC and an injured WR corps. A sometimes turnstile at RT, RG.

To me, the bigger problem with the team is the supposed good defense that was #10 in the league from beating bad teams and after they face the 10-2 Raiders and 8-5 Steelers the Bills defense is now 18th and 28th against the run! The team can't run the ball on good teams and look to the QB to bail them out and when he can't due to his limitations he gets all the blame.

I see the bigger picture and you only see the QB.

Besides the talent issue, QBs tend to perform better when they're comfortable with their receivers. Tyrod never had a chance to get comfortable this season with WR spots being revolving doors.

That said, I also believe that we're starting to get a sense of Tyrod's ceiling and it's just not high enough.

Besides the talent issue, QBs tend to perform better when they're comfortable with their receivers. Tyrod never had a chance to get comfortable this season with WR spots being revolving doors.

That said, I also believe that we're starting to get a sense of Tyrod's ceiling and it's just not high enough.

How did he look against the Browns when the run game is working and the defense is playing okay? Clay was the leading receiver with 7 rec for 72 yards, 1 TD. The bigger story is Taylor and his elusiveness just makes plays happen over and over when nothing and nobody is looking open. Watkins, Woods were invisible with only one catch each.

Like I've said in other threads, it took Drew Brees two full years of playing before he got really good and I'm not saying that Taylor will ever be as good as Brees. It's just that QB's need playing experience and a talented offensive roster to meet their full expectations.

Perhaps if Woods and Watkins stayed healthy and the team found a solid third, fourth receiver we might actually be able to see Tyrod Taylor's ceiling.