Some celebrities need help packing

My daughter is 15. She voted with my wife and pushed the cast vote button together. Say what you will about Hillary, that moment will be one my daughter will remember for her life and someday a better candidate will shatter the glass ceiling.

She woke up disappointed. Her friends are disappointed. Some were in histrionics. But I told her the Churchill quote, reminded her that she votes on her own in 2020, and we had a good discussion about how being in a democracy means sometimes your candidate loses and you should listen to the winners and try to understand what upset them. She got it.

She's watching Trump warily (as are we all!) but I takes her into trying to look for his good traits: no special interests, unafraid of DC, speaks his mind (!), is a voice for people who feel left behind.

I also told her our family is ok. Home is ok. None of that will change.

And lo and behold, she's ok.

It's natural for teens & young adults to be idealistic and to feel profound disappointment in instances like this. It sounds to me like you handled it well and that you've got a bright daughter. Kudos to you.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just horrible parenting. How is she going to know who's right if you don't explain to her the Democrats are? This is why the children belong to all of us, and "The Village" should be responsible for bringing them up.

Ah ****. I had forgotten about all that "it takes a village" crap. Thanks for the reminder.