MAJBobby Good, Bad and Ugly vs NE

MAJBobby

Disclaimer this is from my eye so I know not everyone will agree with what I saw, I have watched the game a couple times so this is what I get out of it. Gonna do something a little different today as well and start with a little talk about the entire group as well. So without further delay here it is, hope you all enjoy the breakdown.

Offense

Once they got to 13 points I figured and posted in the Shout Box that was enough o win the game (it was), also I think the Bills felt that too because they kinda took their foot off the gas and focused on shortening the game, well that and they didn't seem to adjust well to Patriots halftime adjustments. An example of that adjustment was dropping in the slant lanes, but again will give Lynn the benefit of doubt here and just go with they took their foot off the gas for the most part because they knew this game Patriots were not scoring more than 16. Couple issues though the Bills started off very good on 3rd down but by the end of the game again were sub 50% on 3rd down conversions. But for the most part played very well, Had a 36+min time of possession. This is something for the group to build off of. A win is a win but a Tom Brady led Patriots will score more than 16 points. Need to start converting those FGs into TDs. Worst was the 1st FG, Bills had the ball 1st down on the Patriots 18, after a bad penalty on Richie (weak call at that), they ended up with a FG, that needs to be turned into 7 in the future. Finally last drive that cant happen in the future is going 3 and out after half.

OL

With the exception of a couple penalties (one a drive killer) they played very well. Tyrod had the time to make the throws, Gave up 2 sacks, but for the most part was Solid. Couple holding calls, but hey it is the NFL they could call holding on every play, but need to clean up the Penalties, Glenn was very good in his first game back and Miller impressed again. At the end of the day their Run blocking as good enough to have 134 on the ground with a 4.2 AVG. I expected the run blocking to suffer a bit down the stretch because everyone in the world knew they were going to be running the ball to shorten the game.

Grade: A-

WR/TE

One of the harder groups to talk about without looking at an All 22, but I will talk about a couple things I was able to notice from the TV Broadcast. Welcome to the game Robert Woods I hope you are shutting up some of those people that think you are not a good WR. Had another great game as the feature WR for the Bills, and is fully capable of being a Solid NO2. when Sammy comes back, I just am not sure we are going to pay him what he is going to see as a UFA at the end of the season. This group saw 29 of the 39 targets this week. With Woods leading the way with 10 targets caught 7. The game also looks a lot better on the score board if Taylor doesn't just miss Goodwin and Powell on deep balls, most games he is going to connect with 1 of those 2 if not both. The Slant is back in the offense and even saw a WR Screen. Woods made a Big Catch on 3rd and 7 (got 8) to keep the TD drive alive instead of turning into a FG. Goodwin also converted some Key 3rd downs, one that comes to mind was the 3rd and 10 on the missed FG drive he got 12. Powell also converted a key 3rd down late in the game on what was a bad spot, but overturned allowing more time to run off. Overall very good game from this group.

Grade: A

RBs

Overall an efficient game for them. Shady had a hard game running the ball ending with 70 on 19 carries for a sub 4.0 YPC, but that should have been expected, Patriots focus on taking away your biggest weapon and without Sammy they had to figure that was Shady. However did add 6 catches for 38 yards and a TD for another game over 100 yards from Scrimmage. Also man he had some Shady being Shady plays turning decent runs out of what should have been a loss. Did have a bad day in pass pro for him, which is really out of the norm because he has been solid in protection. Then Mike Gillislee did what he does and added a nice breather for Shady with 6 carries for 30 yards and a 5.0 YPC. Overall tough sledding from the group but did enough.

Grade B+

QB

Now to the position I have been very critical to start the season. Going to start off with the bad. Taylor still ignored the middle of the field over 10 yards, and did stare down a WR now and then, particularly after halftime once the Patriots adjusted on the slants. However those are my only bads I really saw. He did rush a throw and it cause him to sail it to Goodwin, when he was out of the pocket, but really only one I can recall.

Now for the good Sunday, I saw him what looked like change a couple plays on the line, will never be 100% sure obviously but it sure looked like he did. Also he was throwing with anticipation and accuracy. I saw some pocket presence from him as well, he moved around in the pocket to find throwing lanes, and he stepped up when he felt pressure instead of bailing. One play I remember was the blitz he hung in there stepped into it and through a perfect pass to Goodwin on an out (was incomplete) but that is where you want that ball to be thrown High and outside, any WR not 5ft 8 makes that catch. Made some Key third downs. Also I remember a play where he broke the pocket (one the final FG Drive) it was 3rd and 10, he broke the pocket looked to run initially, saw that he wasn't going to get the first running, so kept moving to the sidelines with eyes downfield looking for someone to come open, no one did so at the last minute throws it away near Clay I believe it was. (That is the type of play that makes me think growth is occurring).

All in all great game, 1st win when he threw over 30 attempts, and actually had to win with his Arm to be honest because Shady was really taken away running for the most part. I would still like to see some Posts thrown and the Middle of the field utilized over 10 yards. IE Seams, Posts, Digs. Especially if Patriots sit on the slant, a Slugo (slant and go would be wide open). Hoping it will come with continued growth.

Defense

Another great game plan put together by the Defensive Staff. Held Patriots to 1-12 on 3rd down conversions. I know they were playing their 3rd string QB, but guess what with the way the rules are skewed for the Offense that is still a very good stat. LBers are playing lights out, no way around that. They held the running game in check all game (with the exception of a couple near end of game when it was in the bag) And confused a overwhelmed QB. There was good pressure, though they did let Brissett escape a couple times being undisciplined. But the way the defense is playing I cannot wait to see what happens when Dareus is back in the lineup.

DL

Yet another great game from this group, Solid against the run and generated good pressure. Hughes is just unblockable at times and man Kyle Williams just doesn't look like he is getting old at all. only allowed 13 1st downs all game, and only 3 running the ball against a very effective and big RB. Also got 3 sacks. Very happy with their play.

LB

Thank you Tenn for not re-signing Zach Brown. Through the 1st QTR of the season he would be right there in the conversation as the Bills best player. He just doesn't get down. Example lets up the Big pass to Bennett, but comes back a couple plays later and causes a fumble (when Patriots going into score). Also not to mention almost caused another one later on a sack. OOO and finally find me another LBer that can run down Edelman (granted it came back because of Multiple Penalties on Hogan). His reported 4.28 speed was on display there. He has also turned into a very good run defender, I remember his one on one with Blunt on the swing, he doesn't make that tackle and it is a big gain. How is this stat-line for the game... 18 tackles (13 solo) 1 sack, 4 TFL, 2 QB hits and a FF. Early in the season but showing he could go down as one of the better Offseason signings the Bills ever made. Preston also not to be outdone had another good game and came away with a Fumble Recovery 8 tackles (3 solo) and .5 TFL Pure Solid play by these two.

Grade: A+

DB:

Didn't do too much, but also didn't need too. However Aaron Williams had a very good game and had some critical Pass Defensed (3 total), Darby is confusing to me, one minute he can have a perfect Pass defensed the next minute he is lost once the ball in in the air (same play with Bennett that I mentioned earlier). That has been his problem a lot this year, and I think Donnie Henderson moving on has hurt his development I hate to say. But good game for this group overall. so will not complain too much here. At the end of the Day there was only 1 reception from a WR on 6 Targets.

Grade: B+

STs

Well Carp you sure have hitting the uprights down. But ooo well Kickers miss FGs at time, no harm in the game so you get a pass. However you did handle kickoffs fine and actually the coverage was great as well to pin NE at the 9, 18 and then 3 TBs.

Schmidt had a nice bounce back game with over a 40 AVG and actually had to muff punts that if we recovered would have been Awesome.

GREAT GREAT Coverage on both Punt and Kickoff coverage only allowed 15 yard AVG on Kick returns, meaning when they didn't down the Ball NE started inside the 25 twice. Also on Punts NE had a whopping 1.3 yard AVG.

Time to move on from Bush as well. Open the Roster spot.

Grade: a

There it is my write-up on this game

Edited by MAJBobby

The line did not give up 2 sacks. Tyrod took those sacks by running out of bounds. He easily could have avoided them by simply throwing the ball 5 yards downfield and harmlessly out of bounds as he was right next to the sideline.

Edited by matter2003

I think there were about 3-4 third down attempts where Lynn called a good play but TT misfired by a few inches.

Would love to be in the film room dissecting the 2nd half 3rd down conversions, and find out if it was TT's who threw the bad ball or the weather that affected it. misfired

Umm...based on what? His punts had almost 5 second hang time which is phenomenal

And with that Hang time still have over a 40 AVG and allowed a coverage team to get down that and let up a whopping 1.3 yard return.

Yeah I will take that punting every day

Brown also ran Edelman down another time, I believe on 3rd down. Edelman came across the formation and took a handoff or swing pass, cant remember which. Classic Pats/Edelman play where he gets the ball going full speed towards the corner and turns upfield with blockers in place.

This time, he tried to push Zac off of him to turn the corner, but Brown clobbered him and shoved him out of bounds from behind. Most LBs arent fast enough to run that play down from behind.

Brown also ran Edelman down another time, I believe on 3rd down. Edelman came across the formation and took a handoff or swing pass, cant remember which. Classic Pats/Edelman play where he gets the ball going full speed towards the corner and turns upfield with blockers in place.

This time, he tried to push Zac off of him to turn the corner, but Brown clobbered him and shoved him out of bounds from behind. Most LBs arent fast enough to run that play down from behind.

Yeah it is amazing to me that he ran a 4.28 in college at the size he is

Got a bit lucky on that one, since he grabbed 11 by the collar. Luckily he didn't bring him down.