(OT) LOST

CosmicBills

24 on DVD has about a 42 minute run time. Lost is about the same...so I don't think it's that overdone.

Still, it would be much better if this show were on HBO. :blush:

251455[/snapback]

That's why Tivo is the greatest thing in the world. Fast forwarding through commercials is the best thing ever. I NEVER watch commercials anymore.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 on DVD has about a 42 minute run time. Lost is about the same...so I don't think it's that overdone.

Still, it would be much better if this show were on HBO. :blush:

251455[/snapback]

dead horse coming, TIVO!!!!

Although on HBO think we might be seeing some more of what we man might be looking for. Sun getting freed of other things besides JIN

Mmmm hmmm...then at least we would have seen Kate topless by now.  :blush:

251529[/snapback]

And Shannon... :lol:

I stole Steve's idea, and paused the show for the first 15 minutes, then skipped all the commercials. Only I timed it wrong and still got stuck watching the last batch of 'em. :)

And Shannon... :)

I stole Steve's idea, and paused the show for the first 15 minutes, then skipped all the commercials. Only I timed it wrong and still got stuck watching the last batch of 'em.  :blush:

251535[/snapback]

I don't mind the commericals only because it gives my wife and I time to talk about what just happened.

It was funny, when I saw Hurley on the TV, I jumped and yelled, "Did you see him?!?" My wife was like, "Who?" "Hurley," I said, "It was Hurley getting into a car on the TV the little girl was watching!!!" She totally missed it.

You definately need to pay attention to what goes on in the background...you never know what you may catch.

I belive Jack's father drank himself to death.  And remember, the coffin was empty when Jack found it on the island.  That's doesn't mean it was empty when it was loaded onto the plane. 

251398[/snapback]

I think the reason Jack's father's coffin was empty was that the airline refused to transport the dead body. There was a scene where Jack was at the ticket counter arguing with the agent about putting the casket on the plane (this is the same scene where Jin and Sun are in the airport, where Sun was supposed to leave Jin).

I think the reason Jack's father's coffin was empty was that the airline refused to transport the dead body.  There was a scene where Jack was at the ticket counter arguing with the agent about putting the casket on the plane (this is the same scene where Jin and Sun are in the airport, where Sun was supposed to leave Jin).

251548[/snapback]

Dude...that's kind of sick. What did the airline do with the body, stand it up in a corner somewhere while they loaded the empty coffin onto the plane. His body is probably sleeping with the fishes, and the empty coffin was there to give the impression that the "ghost" Jack was seeing was actually his dad's body walking around.

I think the reason Jack's father's coffin was empty was that the airline refused to transport the dead body.  There was a scene where Jack was at the ticket counter arguing with the agent about putting the casket on the plane (this is the same scene where Jin and Sun are in the airport, where Sun was supposed to leave Jin).

251548[/snapback]

OK if so why, why the hell would the coffin have been on the plane? Suggestions have been that he wanted to get the burial over with, and was just going to lie and say the old man was IN the coffin as he did not want to dissapoint Miss Furillo again(his mom), but man that would be some cold sh-- to leave his olds man body in Australia.

Dude...that's kind of sick.  What did the airline do with the body, stand it up in a corner somewhere while they loaded the empty coffin onto the plane.  His body is probably sleeping with the fishes, and the empty coffin was there to give the impression that the "ghost" Jack was seeing was actually his dad's body walking around.

251558[/snapback]

To facilitate customer satisfaction (i.e., to shut up an angry customer at the counter) the airline manager could have just sent the body back to the morgue (as I'm sure Jack didn't bring the coffin to the airport himself ... guessing it had to be transported by the coroners office) and had an empty casket placed on the plane. This would quiet Jack, and not break the airline's "no transporting of bodies" policy.

Who's to say that the casket was Jack's father's, anyway. For all we know, that particular casket never was placed on the plane. Could have been an empty belonging to someone else.

To facilitate customer satisfaction (i.e., to shut up an angry customer at the counter) the airline manager could have just sent the body back to the morgue (as I'm sure Jack didn't bring the coffin to the airport himself ... guessing it had to be transported by the coroners office) and had an empty casket placed on the plane.  This would quiet Jack, and not break the airline's "no transporting of bodies" policy.

Who's to say that the casket was Jack's father's, anyway.  For all we know, that particular casket never was placed on the plane. Could have been an empty belonging to someone else.

251628[/snapback]

Technically speaking, you're right of course. From the standpoint of the story, though, I think you need to assume that that was his dads coffin and that he had been in it when it was loaded onto the plane.

There's been speculation on this website, by me and others, that Lost is over-cluttered with commercials.  So I taped the episode last night and came up with a showtime of 42:06 including end-credits and next week's preview.  The show was supposed to run from 8:00-9:03 according to my Adelphia Digital Cable Box. 

This gives you a 33.1% commercial time to show time ratio.

Now I've heard many times in the past, most recently with the release of the Seinfeld box set,  that the average sitcom has a showtime of 23:30 out of a 30 min slot.

This gives you a ratio of 21.7% commercial time to show time ratio.

So Lost seems to have 53.1% more commercials than the average show.

251446[/snapback]

You didn't count how many commercial breaks they had, or the number of commercials per break, did you? I'm willing to bet that having more commercial breaks with fewer commercials is more palatable to the viewer than fewer but longer breaks, particularly with fast paced shows like Lost.

You didn't count how many commercial breaks they had, or the number of commercials per break, did you? I'm willing to bet that having more commercial breaks with fewer commercials is more palatable to the viewer than fewer but longer breaks, particularly with fast paced shows like Lost.

Actually, for me personally, I'd say just the opposite is more desirable.

I fall between the TiVo corwd & those dolts that actually sit mindlessly in front of the TV actually watching the commericals. I flick. Now w/ flicking, there's 2 obstacles - 1) the inevitable inefficiency that you either are stuck watching a few seconds of commercials &/or miss a few seconds of the show. The more breaks one encounters, the less one 'gets' out of the show (more commercial viewed ;) and more show missed ;) )

and 2) that longer breaks from your primary viewing allow you to enjoy more of your 2ndary viewing (i.e. 25 seconds are a waste but 4 minutes allows you to get a fair amount of quality viewing in.)

Further, although I'll admit to having a short attention span, I can usually manage to concentrate on a tv show for the standard 15 minutes between commercial breaks.

For those who hold to the Walt-controls-the-universe theory, they're going to be sorely mistaken in the season finale. That's all I'll say. Probably will be a major cliffhanger.

251384[/snapback]

I wonder who "lies" and because of the lying allows the death to occur ?

I wonder who "lies" and because of the lying allows the death to occur ?

251801[/snapback]

I would actually guess Hurley.

He's seen the numbers that were on Danielle's map and hasn't told anyone what they mean to him. The cat's been out of the bag for a couple of weeks.... They're his winning lotto numbers. Freaky stojan.

As for the time aspect, 42 minutes of show in an hour-long episode is pretty standard.

An empty casket on this island isn't like an empty casket on any other. Either Jack's father is brought back to life (similar to Locke's miracle) or they find the body and the Jack vs. Sawyer storyline goes buh-buh-buhmmm. If they caught Sawyer w/ the pistol, they would have found that it had been fired or done ballistics. I doubt they would let him go w/ a slap on the wrist for murder.

He's seen the numbers that were on Danielle's map and hasn't told anyone what they mean to him. The cat's been out of the bag for a couple of weeks.... They're his winning lotto numbers. Freaky stojan.

252468[/snapback]

Thanx for answering, UC. Makes sense.

OK if so why, why the hell would the coffin have been on the plane? Suggestions have been that he wanted to get the burial over with, and was just going to lie and say the old man was IN the coffin as he did not want to dissapoint Miss Furillo again(his mom), but man that would be some cold sh-- to leave his olds man body in Australia.

251560[/snapback]

Cool avatar.

As for the time aspect, 42 minutes of show in an hour-long episode is pretty standard.

An empty casket on this island isn't like an empty casket on any other. Either Jack's father is brought back to life (similar to Locke's miracle) or they find the body and the Jack vs. Sawyer storyline goes buh-buh-buhmmm. If they caught Sawyer w/ the pistol, they would have found that it had been fired or done ballistics. I doubt they would let him go w/ a slap on the wrist for murder.

252468[/snapback]

What do you know about this James? That's the rumor I heard. That he was on tv for winning the lottery. But I don't know about the numbers on Danielle's map and what's this about someone lying causing people to die? I've seen references to that as well but don't know the whole story.

I also think Jin understands English.

What do you know about this James? That's the rumor I heard. That he was on tv for winning the lottery. But I don't know about the numbers on Danielle's map and what's this about someone lying causing people to die? I've seen references to that as well but don't know the whole story.

252858[/snapback]

You gotta love the fact that BogusTrumper's first post on the board is about LOST! :flirt:

252858[/snapback]

AHHHHHHHHHH! PLEASE PUT SPOILER ALERT!!!

Welcome to the board, but I can't know stuff like that!!