Delay of game - Use your timeouts or take 5 yards?

CDogg20

14 members have voted

1. 1. Take 5 yards or use timeouts?

• Use timeouts
    • Take the penalty

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to know what my fellow Bills fans think. Would you rather use a timeout and save 5 yards on a drive or save your timeouts? Personally i'd take the five yard penalty every single time.

Obviously it depends on the situation, but I agree with the concept that automatically calling a TO to save the five yards is misguided.

Yes of course, I guess I was referring to how we used our timeouts today...was it 4 timeouts we used as the play clock was running out?

First half use the time-out. Second half it is more situational. Third and 17 is just as bad as third and 22 so why waste a time-out.

The real issue is just be prepared. When you make a long gain, get into the huddle quicker or call a play that doesn't require motion.

Body-language suggested to me it was Roman's fault. TT seemed to be gesturing to get the call quicker.

First half use the time-out. Second half it is more situational. Third and 17 is just as bad as third and 22 so why waste a time-out.

The real issue is just be prepared. When you make a long gain, get into the huddle quicker or call a play that doesn't require motion.

Body-language suggested to me it was Roman's fault. TT seemed to be gesturing to get the call quicker.

I don't even mind using a timeout on third and long. IF you actually try to get a first down. But to use a timeout, then throw a two yard pass is what gets me.

This seems like a fair assessment, I agree. Can't figure out why it took so long to get the play in today? This has to be adjusted or the Jets D will feast on us Thursday.

Honestly it depends, but if you're already looking at 3rd and long just take the penalty (unless you're on the cusp of FG range)

I don't even mind using a timeout on third and long. IF you actually try to get a first down. But to use a timeout, then throw a two yard pass is what gets me.

Or call a timeout to then line up in an illegal formation. :death:

I've heard a lot of people use the argument that it's okay to call the time-out because if the QB is confused, bad things can happen - but my counter has always been to just take the penalty unless the yardage is crucial (field goal range/3rd or 4th and short).

The 3rd and 16 Timeout, and 2 yard reception was classic Trent Edwards/Jauron era Bills. It's disorganized, which is unacceptable in the current regime.

As much as it pains me to type this...it's not something Tom Brady*/Bill Belichick* would ever do.