(OT) For posters in SoCal, Arizona or Vegas

Like A Mofo

Not sure if this was posted before....but seems that evertime I pop on the Weather Channel....California (especially SoCal) and Arizona and even Las Vegas for that matter seem to be getitng hit with a lot of rain....everything ok with any wallers here in these affected areas??? Is it as bad as the news portrays it?

There is a lot of rain. I have a few issues from the rain. Horses are being evacuted to higher ground where we stable my daughters horse. Her horse is OK though. I have a mudslide in my back yard, but that lawsuit started because my neighbor dug away at the hillside without any support before the rains came. What a problem that is !

You know the media. Overblown as usual. We has some serious rain in the Vegas Valley yesterday with some flooding, but its nothing we haven't seen before. I can't say the same for Cali, but here in Vegas, we're still booming! So, nothing too bad here, maybe delays at the airport, but thats about it. 65 degrees.

Go Bills, sign some studs!!

Nothing too serious here in Phoenix. We have had LOTS of rain in the last two months though, and even 2 funnel clouds. (tornadoes of unheard of here in Phoenix, and I have been here for 27 years) Its not "The Day After Tomorrow" yet, and I stress YET....

The rain in Los Angeles is crazy the 101 freeway flooded last night with 5 feet of water in some spots in Hollywood Houses are falling down hills we have gotten over 34 inches of rain this season and normal is 9 inches and it is still pouring out here today may seem trivial compared to snow storms but for Los Angeles alot of people are losing homes the good news is it should end tommorrow

The rain in Los Angeles is crazy the 101 freeway flooded last night with 5 feet of water in some spots in Hollywood Houses are falling down hills we have gotten over 34 inches of rain this season and normal is 9 inches and it is still pouring out here today may seem trivial compared to snow storms but for Los Angeles alot of people are losing homes the good news is it should end tommorrow

248751[/snapback]

I mean...other than that it's not as bad as they're making it out to be. :w00t:

We've been getting hit pretty hard here in San Diego. But if you're from Buffalo, this stuff is a walk in the park. The key's to minimizing the impact of the weather, I've found is to:

1. Don't build your house in a dry river bed.

2. Don't build your house on a hillside on stilts.

3. Don't build your house at the base of a burned out hill.

4. Remember that a MINIVAN is NOT a BOAT.

5. Slow down to at least 65.

6. Increase your following distance from other as*holes, er, drivers from the normal 1/2 car length to at least 5 or 6.

7. Don't play in drainage ditches.

If you follow many of these simple rules, everything should be fine...

We've been getting hit pretty hard here in San Diego. But if you're from Buffalo, this stuff is a walk in the park. The key's to minimizing the impact of the weather, I've found is to:

1.  Don't build your house in a dry river bed.

2.  Don't build your house on a hillside on stilts.

3.  Don't build your house at the base of a burned out hill.

4.  Remember that a MINIVAN is NOT a BOAT.

5.  Slow down to at least 65.

6.  Increase your following distance from other as*holes, er, drivers from the normal 1/2 car length to at least 5 or 6.

7.  Don't play in drainage ditches.

248786[/snapback]

:w00t:;);):D:P:lol:

I'll share a little WNY meets SoCal story that might put this storm in perspective-

I moved to Santa Monica in 1983 and the first summer I was here there were some "major storms" that ended up on national news with houses in Malibu getting washed out on their beachfronts. Of course, the storm seemed like nothing to a WNYer and I didn't think twice about heading to a legendary Body Surfing beach above Malibu called Leo Carillo. I was interested in trying my hand at something I had never done, and when I got there a group of local kids watched me swim out into the waves. I figured at some point I'd have to turn around and catch a wave back in and I have to say, for a first timer I was blown away by the feeling of having my body basically in a Superman carry lifted in the air until the wave swallowed me before the shore and tossed me with some pretty serious force down the bottom of the ocean. After a bit of a struggle to get back up for air I turned around and went back for an additional dozen or so rides before finally going onshore. I wondered why the group of kids was sitting there and I asked as I walked by "that's awesome, don't you guys body surf?" to which one responded " not in 9 foot breakers dude".

I won't be going out to Carillo today, but it's not because the waves are any worse than they were that day ;-)

Nothing too serious here in Phoenix. We have had LOTS of rain in the last two months though, and even 2 funnel clouds. (tornadoes of unheard of here in Phoenix, and I have been here for 27 years) Its not "The Day After Tomorrow" yet, and I stress YET....

??

This weekend in the Buffalo News they had a quote from a reporter of The Arizona Rebublic about things being not to bad in Phoenix except for that citiznes faced a gasoline shotrage, danger to the electric supply, a major natural gas shut down, and a boil to drink water order!!!

I guess that's better than our taxpayer revolt we got going on here in Bills Land.

I wondered why the group of kids was sitting there and I asked as I walked by "that's awesome, don't you guys body surf?" to which one responded " not in 9 foot breakers dude".

I won't be going out to Carillo today, but it's not because the waves are any worse than they were that day ;-)

248948[/snapback]

Dude...that's, like, completely goin' off.

As a matter of interest, I've been told that when a wave is referred to by its height, it is actually not the full height of the wave but up to the point the wave begins to crest...or something like that. So in theory, a 9-foot wave would literally be more like 11 feet.

Radical, dude.

1.  Don't build your house in a dry river bed.

2.  Don't build your house on a hillside on stilts.

3.  Don't build your house at the base of a burned out hill.

4.  Remember that a MINIVAN is NOT a BOAT.

5.  Slow down to at least 65.

6.  Increase your following distance from other as*holes, er, drivers from the normal 1/2 car length to at least 5 or 6.

7.  Don't play in drainage ditches.

248786[/snapback]

Pretty good ! And so true !

I'll share a little WNY meets SoCal story that might put this storm in perspective-

I moved to Santa Monica in 1983 and the first summer I was here there were some "major storms" that ended up on national news with houses in Malibu getting washed out on their beachfronts. Of course, the storm seemed like nothing to a WNYer and I didn't think twice about heading to a legendary Body Surfing beach above Malibu called Leo Carillo. I was interested in trying my hand at something I had never done, and when I got there a group of local kids watched me swim out into the waves. I figured at some point I'd have to turn around and catch a wave back in and I have to say, for a first timer I was blown away by the feeling of having my body basically in a Superman carry lifted in the air until the wave swallowed me before the shore and tossed me with some pretty serious force down the bottom of the ocean. After a bit of a struggle to get back up for air I turned around and went back for an additional dozen or so rides before finally going onshore. I wondered why the group of kids was sitting there and I asked as I walked by "that's awesome, don't you guys body surf?" to which one responded " not in 9 foot breakers dude".

248948[/snapback]

I did something similar to that in La Jolla at wind and sea beach. The waves broke right on the beach with no cusion. Man I got slammed hard in the sand. Didn't make that mistake again.

I did something similar to that in La Jolla at wind and sea beach. The waves broke right on the beach with no cusion. Man I got slammed hard in the sand. Didn't make that mistake again.

249040[/snapback]

I realized that by completely arching my back the pounding was easier to take, but it was still brutal in those huge waves even then. Don't think I haven't paid attention rapt to every body surfing broken neck on the news out here since then!

My ship was at 32nd Street one summer and I headed up to OB with a dusted spleef. Burned it myself and foolishly went for a swim that found me about 1/2 mile offshore in a rip. In my adrenalized state I swam like a madman straight to shore and then slept if off face down in the sand for what must have been two hours. Freakin' worst sunburn of my life, any shirt I put on basically became part of my back. OUCH!

LABilz- When you're ready for a trip to Carillo let me know- say you have some nephews visiting from back home, etc ;-)