mmqb: Tom House, Tyrod Taylor

BarleyNY

Gotcha. But as major leaguers go......he sucked. He has a reputation as a guru of a coach which is fine, but he evidently didn't teach himself.

You don't make it the majors without knowing quit a bit about pitching. Do most players teach themselves?

Edited by Triple Threat

He's a throwing coach and I've been listening to him personally for years - getting excellent pitching drills for my kids. Alkaline water is something he believes in strongly.

He's legit, IMO.

I hope he's a great throwing coach and he helps all those guys, but he should stick to what he knows.

Alkaline water is the biggest crock to part people from their money in years.

Let's think about the physiology of digestion a minute. Water is absorbed in your intestines. Food and water sit in your stomach getting churned around and mixed with digestive enzymes, then get emptied into your intestines over the course of a couple hours - maybe 20 minutes, maybe 3 hrs depending upon what you eat and your personal physiology.

What's not personal is that everyone's stomach is at pH 1.5 -3 - very acidic. The acidity itself helps with digestion and the stomach enzymes are evolved to work best at acid pH. While the food and water sit in your stomach, if it's not acid enough, your stomach happily secretes more hydrochloric acid to make the contents more acidic.

Meanwhile your blood has a sophisticated system aimed at regulating its own pH (acidity or alkalinity) to be very near neutral. People whose blood chemistry isn't near neutral are in deep kim-chee - they're in a serious, abnormal condition, cardiac arrest or diabetic shock and get IV injections of bicarbonate and potassium.

People who really push themselves to the limits - crazy endurance runners and cyclists, the guys who race the Leadville 100 Trail Ride and Iron Men and the like - gulp electrolyte tablets every couple of hours in addition to electrolyte solutions in their water, because they need serious quantities to replace all the potassium and sodium and other minerals they're sweating out hour after hour. Other high-performance athletes may indeed need serious mineral supplements to replenish the extraordinary demands on their bodies.

The quantities in alkaline water are likely not sufficient for this. And alkaline water for the reasons stated, to "neutralize acid in your bloodstream"? Hooey. That alkaline pH won't survive its first encounter with Mr Stomach, I guarantee it.

I hope he's a great throwing coach and he helps all those guys, but he should stick to what he knows.

Let's think about the physiology of digestion a minute. Water is absorbed in your intestines. Food and water sit in your stomach getting churned around and mixed with digestive enzymes, then get emptied into your intestines over the course of a couple hours - maybe 20 minutes, maybe 3 hrs depending upon what you eat and your personal physiology.

What's not personal is that everyone's stomach is at pH 1.5 -3 - very acidic. The acidity itself helps with digestion and the stomach enzymes are evolved to work best at acid pH. While the food and water sit in your stomach, if it's not acid enough, your stomach happily secretes more hydrochloric acid to make the contents more acidic.

Meanwhile your blood has a sophisticated system aimed at regulating its own pH (acidity or alkalinity) to be very near neutral. People whose blood chemistry isn't near neutral are in deep kim-chee - they're in a serious, abnormal condition, cardiac arrest or diabetic shock and get IV injections of bicarbonate and potassium.

People who really push themselves to the limits - crazy endurance runners and cyclists, the guys who race the Leadville 100 Trail Ride and Iron Men and the like - gulp electrolyte tablets every couple of hours in addition to electrolyte solutions in their water, because they need serious quantities to replace all the potassium and sodium and other minerals they're sweating out hour after hour. Other high-performance athletes may indeed need serious mineral supplements to replenish the extraordinary demands on their bodies.

The quantities in alkaline water are likely not sufficient for this. And alkaline water for the reasons stated, to "neutralize acid in your bloodstream"? Hooey. That alkaline pH won't survive its first encounter with Mr Stomach, I guarantee it.

Hmmmm, tend to agree with your post. And not I am not nearly as knowledgeable as you on the topic. IF one could indeed change one's bloodstream to a more alkaline environment a lot of blood cancers would get their butts kicked. Or so I am told. Too bad we pee it all away.

I didn't profess to be an expert or that he's right - jut pointed out that's one of his big beliefs. I guess you just need to try and reach out to those working with House and convince them. I don't know the difference between alkaline water and foods that promote alkaline forming but Brady has been doing it for a while.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/12/12/tom-brady-meticulous-health-regimen-revealed-article/4VpDoru88XQj7FxpKIQwIK/story.html

House is about health and healthy throwing through mechanics. He's not an X's and O's coach - which is the reason athletes go to him. A lot of his stuff (maybe intentionally) goes over my head - but I've adopted a lot of his drills with my sons (baseball) to help alleviate throwing injuries.

Edited by Triple Threat

As a scout who watches hundreds of kids throw a year, the best way to stay healthy is to not throw so damn much. And throw within yourself, not for the gun.

Tom House has been around for forever and his methods are no more effective for preventing injuries than anyone else's.

And the water thing is silly. Didn't know he promoted that.

Edited by billsintaiwan

I didn't profess to be an expert or that he's right - jut pointed out that's one of his big beliefs. I guess you just need to try and reach out to those working with House and convince them. I don't know the difference between alkaline water and foods that promote alkaline forming but Brady has been doing it for a while.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/12/12/tom-brady-meticulous-health-regimen-revealed-article/4VpDoru88XQj7FxpKIQwIK/story.html

House is about health and healthy throwing through mechanics. He's not an X's and O's coach - which is the reason athletes go to him. A lot of his stuff (maybe intentionally) goes over my head - but I've adopted a lot of his drills with my sons (baseball) to help alleviate throwing injuries.

Oh, Heck No. I'm not trying to convince anyone. Fool and his money, count the legs of the horse for oneself, etc etc. There's also the "Bull Durham" point that if an athlete thinks it helps them, then it helps them.

Not thinking you presented yourself as an expert either, just wanting to provide some information about why drinking alkaline water is unlikely to affect the pH of the blood.

Glad to hear his drills help your sons

Edited by Hopeful