Do we still need 2 kickers?

cage

You really hate fun! :thumbdown:

nothing would be more fun than no kicking game; 20 yrd line would be the 3 point line and you get 4 more points if you get into the endzone. There would be WAY MORE 4rth down attempts for 1st downs, 3 points and 4 points and if you don't convert you pin the team in deep.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

From Pro Football Reference - "The #Bills gave up 17.2 yards per kick return, the lowest total in the league".

I've built the case for Jordan Gay a million times and I know that 5% of people give a ****, even less can be swayed by me. If you're a team that values special teams, which the Bills seem to do, you know that Dan Carpenter and his line drive kickoffs are bad for you. Jordan Gay is a necessary evil in the field position battle but I'd rather just find a kicker that can do both.

Colton Schmidt had 34 touchbacks on 62 kickoffs at UC Davis. If the team felt he was capable, I'm fairly sure he would be taking them. For whatever reason, they don't.

Jordan Gay = good. Deal with it.

nothing would be more fun than no kicking game; 20 yrd line would be the 3 point line and you get 4 more points if you get into the endzone. There would be WAY MORE 4rth down attempts for 1st downs, 3 points and 4 points and if you don't convert you pin the team in deep.

The kicking game is a beautiful thing but I'm fighting a losing battle with a country that seems to think the other football is some kind of Communist plot. :lol:

Under this idea, what if you go "4 and out" before making a first down? Are you content seeing a team turn the ball over inside their own 35 yard line?

From Pro Football Reference - "The #Bills gave up 17.2 yards per kick return, the lowest total in the league".

I've built the case for Jordan Gay a million times and I know that 5% of people give a ****, even less can be swayed by me. If you're a team that values special teams, which the Bills seem to do, you know that Dan Carpenter and his line drive kickoffs are bad for you. Jordan Gay is a necessary evil in the field position battle but I'd rather just find a kicker that can do both.

Colton Schmidt had 34 touchbacks on 62 kickoffs at UC Davis. If the team felt he was capable, I'm fairly sure he would be taking them. For whatever reason, they don't.

yes but as you say we need one good kicker, how is that every team has one but we need two.

I will not deal with it.

besides no kicking game is the better option.

yes but as you say we need one good kicker, how is that every team has one but we need two.

I will not deal with it.

besides no kicking game is the better option.

If the team was committed to finding a solution, they would've signed someone different than Marshall Morgan as a UDFA. Morgan is actually worse on kickoffs than Carpenter.

Other teams have different values on touchbacks, directional kicking, importance of ST. Some, from the look of their stats, don't care one bit about things like hang time. I guess the Bills feel that they need every advantage they can get because of the style that they play.

It's also hard to find a nuanced kicker that can be reliable doing both because it's still not recruited properly at the college level. I would guess that most kickers stumble into it late in HS after failing to make the grade as a soccer player. I've not kicked for goal since my rugby days half a lifetime ago but I think I could land an NCAA scholarship with a bit of practice. The standard is shocking, even at powerhouse schools.

The kicking game is a beautiful thing but I'm fighting a losing battle with a country that seems to think the other football is some kind of Communist plot. :lol:

Under this idea, what if you go "4 and out" before making a first down? Are you content seeing a team turn the ball over inside their own 35 yard line?

Yes, Football is a game of running and throwing the ball and should be decided thus.

not sure about the commy plot but I actually enjoy soccer. I will never be a huge fan but it's not horrible to watch, it's just not violent enough for my tastes. One of the things I like about it is the energy of the crowd, I find it very inspiring.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

If the team was committed to finding a solution, they would've signed someone different than Marshall Morgan as a UDFA. Morgan is actually worse on kickoffs than Carpenter.

Other teams have different values on touchbacks, directional kicking, importance of ST. Some, from the look of their stats, don't care one bit about things like hang time. I guess the Bills feel that they need every advantage they can get because of the style that they play.

It's also hard to find a nuanced kicker that can be reliable doing both because it's still not recruited properly at the college level. I would guess that most kickers stumble into it late in HS after failing to make the grade as a soccer player. I've not kicked for goal since my rugby days half a lifetime ago but I think I could land an NCAA scholarship with a bit of practice. The standard is shocking, even at powerhouse schools.

go for it, Rugby kickers seem to really boom the ball, they should keep kicking rugby balls because it seem over time that they lose their distance when kicking footballs.

Okay, I'm listening - and I found this:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

According to Football Outsiders the Bills have a huge advantage on kick offs. Does anyone have a stat for, say, opponent average starting field position after kick offs? I'd like to see them compared to the league with a stat that I can more easily understand.

That all said, I'd still like them to find one guy who can do both.