Don't expect Rex or Whaley to be fired in the offseason

IMO, it'll be obvious whether or not they should sack the current regime. If they make progress on both sides of the ball, and it's palpable, then they should stay regardless of whether or not they have a playoff campaign (though I tend to believe that significant progress on both sides of the ball would yield a playoff berth).

If they don't progress on either side, then they're gone.

If it's somewhere in the middle, then the record will speak for itself; anything other than a winning season should probably see them gone.

100%. It makes no difference what the Pegulas say now; if this teams does not show definite signs of progress, there will be regime change. The only question is whether Whaley is part of the change, or just Rex.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did he not learn? The knock on him with the Jets was poor quarterbacks and bad offense. So he gets hired here and goes out and lands Tyrod Taylor and grabs Greg Roman. Boom - best offense in Buffalo in over a decade.

His team in New Jersey were undisplinced and it seemed like he didn't hold players accountable. Last year, we led the NFL in penalties. That's not learning from your mistakes.

And this is just me, but I always give credit for the coach for their specialty. I didn't think Marrone deserved credit for the defense because he was an offense coach. I don't think Rex deserves credit for the offense. And while we had some really big plays, it was hardly an efficient offense. I believe we were 2nd worse in 3 and outs. You need to do better than that. Great thing is he has another year to prove himself.

Perfectly stated.

Rex Ryan has proven he loses more games than he wins as a head coach throughout his NFL career. Why would anyone want a proven loser to remain for the sake of continuity?

It all depends on this years situation....period.

Previous years with other teams should not factor into the equation....if your gonna do that then factor his two AFC Championship runs

Lets see what he does with this D first......then we can roll out the tar and pitchforks

Agreed. But it's hard to get as excited when we had a #4 ranked defense go to 19 in his first year.

And I know he is the worst player in history now, but I'd take Mario in the right system over Lawson with a bum shoulder every day of the week. Hopefully the kid has a great career but Mario was an elite DE, which are very hard to find.

Agreed. But it's hard to get as excited when we had a #4 ranked defense go to 19 in his first year.

And I know he is the worst player in history now, but I'd take Mario in the right system over Lawson with a bum shoulder every day of the week. Hopefully the kid has a great career but Mario was an elite DE, which are very hard to find.

C.

Mario wasnt giving us his all.....and it was easy to see that

Shaq lawson went under the knife so he WOULDNT have a bum shoulder......I am excited to see what Shaq looks like playing injury free in what.....4 years?

So Cleveland should have had more patience with Shurmer, Chudzinski and Pettine? Got it. The problem is that they made lousy hiring decisions to begin with, not that they did not give guys a chance to succeed. Of course their drafting history has been lousy, too . . . The fact that the Browns suck hardly means the Pegulas should give Rex more time if the team sucks this year.

Cleveland is one example, the Raiders, Bucs and Redskins areother examples. Look at how bad those franchises sucked. The Raiders and Bucs have been terrible since they were in the Super Bowl. The Redskins have been a joke of an organization since Snyder bought them. I think they've had two playoff appearances since he bought the team and went through coaches either on a yearly or two year pace.

And what makes you think the Bills will fire Whaley & Ryan? Because Vic Carucci and Jim Kelly said so?

Lets see what he does with this D first......then we can roll out the tar and pitchforks

The biggest thing for me is that Rex really doesn't have many excuses for 2016. Especially defensively.

8 returning starters (plus Manny opening the season at SLB). Only guys you're really replacing are Bradham and Mario. You filled those spots with quintessential 'Rex guys'. Pretty much every offensive starter is back, depending on how you view RT.

If that D can't be in the top 5-7 in the league, it's probably a failure.

Cleveland is one example, the Raiders, Bucs and Redskins areother examples. Look at how bad those franchises sucked. The Raiders and Bucs have been terrible since they were in the Super Bowl. The Redskins have been a joke of an organization since Snyder bought them. I think they've had two playoff appearances since he bought the team and went through coaches either on a yearly or two year pace.

And what makes you think the Bills will fire Whaley & Ryan? Because Vic Carucci and Jim Kelly said so?

The Cardinals fired a bunch of coaches and now they have one of the best in NFL. The Broncos fired a cos h after he took them to the playoffs several times and won the SB this year.

The biggest thing for me is that Rex really doesn't have many excuses for 2016. Especially defensively.

8 returning starters (plus Manny opening the season at SLB). Only guys you're really replacing are Bradham and Mario. You filled those spots with quintessential 'Rex guys'. Pretty much every offensive starter is back, depending on how you view RT.

If that D can't be in the top 5-7 in the league, it's probably a failure.

5-7 is lofty.....I am hoping for top 10

C.

Mario wasnt giving us his all.....and it was easy to see that

Shaq lawson went under the knife so he WOULDNT have a bum shoulder......I am excited to see what Shaq looks like playing injury free in what.....4 years?

Agree. But from peak Mario (entering the season last year), it's a downgrade and a huge question mark.

On paper, our talent on defense isn't better. But games aren't played on paper, so we will see.

With the talent on the roster, we really should be #2 behind Seattle. That is how good this team should be.

I'm saying 5-7 because that should be enough to make this a 10 win team.

I think it's funny that posters like myself, you, & others might get placed in the hater camp. But i think we both believe this team is loaded and should be much better than rally to get to 8-8.

The Cleveland comparison is meaningless. Those were awful coaching hires to be sure, but their roster is pretty rough. Compare that to the roster Rex gets to work with. Does anyone really think that the Bills are not as talented as the Browns? No, no one does. So if Rex can't make the playoffs with a pretty loaded roster, why would he deserve another year?

Also, the Sabres have sucked since the Pegulas bought them. They had 43 wins by the end of their first year (2011). Turns out that would be the peak year. Down hill since.

After the Sabres failed to resign their top two centers, Drury and Briere, they had no good Centers left on the team. Centers are your QB's on ice. The Sabres at the time when the Pegula's bought them had a bunch of wingers that would be good on other teams third and fourth lines, but we're in the top two lines. That team needed to be scrapped and started over from scratch, which is something that's been happening over the past three seasons. At some point during the 16 year playoff drought, the Bills should have tanked for a few seasons to get a franchise QB and other elite talent. But instead, Ralph was on autopilot and let the wrong people run the organization into the ground.

The Jets had the 10th ranked offense with Fitz, who some folks think is terrible. We went from 4th to 19th in defense & went from 54 sacks to 21. Rex did well against the Jets. Unfortunately, there are 14 other games. The Rams swept the Seahawks. How did that work out for both teams?

He also had Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker to throw to, which are a better WR combo than anything he had in his tenure in Buffalo.

You are confusing cause and effect. Almost without exception, teams cycle through coaches because they make poor hiring decisions in the first place. Can you point to single instance in the last 7 years where a team fired a coach after two years or less and that coach went on to success elsewhere? Or how about this, which coaches do you think should have been given more time?

I never said the Bills will fire Whaley & Ryan. I said Ryan will be fired if there are not definite signs of improvement this year. I said nothing about Whaley. And my opinion has nothing to do with Carucci and Kelly. I just don't believe the Pegulas are foolish enough to give Rex more than two years to "turn around" a team that was on the verge of making the playoffs when he took it over, especially given Rex's less than scintillating track record.

Edited by mannc

With the talent on the roster, we really should be #2 behind Seattle. That is how good this team should be.

I'm saying 5-7 because that should be enough to make this a 10 win team.

Bloke,

I know we are splitting hairs here......but I think a top 10 defense makes us a 10 win team.

Why? Because I expect our offense to be better......we actually have a QB from day 1 now.