Henry For Shelton - agreed in principal

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why would they re-structure Shelton at all and create dead cap problems until they are sure he is teh long term answer to play on the OL. I have big doubts it will be at LT.

248107[/snapback]

I agree. It's not like the Bills need to create cap space at this time.

Lazy. Fat. Yay.

Lets hope that the guy writing this scouting report is Mike Florio  :P  Or, that Shelton was just not feeling it on a losing team, ala Corey Dillon.

248125[/snapback]

Of course you should read Jennings as well

Flaws Not in great condition. Has trouble with speed rushers, who get the edge on him at times. Doesn't have the footwork of an outstanding left tackle.

Of course you should read Jennings as well

248134[/snapback]

Good point.

I see Henry and Shelton as pretty much the same person with the same situation, they just play different positions. The good thing is that Shelton will not have his version of a Willis McGahee in front of him here in Buffalo, as you can never have too many good OL on your team.

how do you know he isn't generating much interest?

248103[/snapback]

You been following things? He's generated almost no interest, mostly because although he's a tough runner, he's dumb as a box of rocks. I never saw so many plays over the last 3 years where Bledsoe would turn to hand the ball off and Henry would be running the other direction. Sure, it's only 4-5 times a season, but that's a lot. And forget about the run-blocking. I like TH, but if I was trading for him, I wouldn't give up much.

You been following things? He's generated almost no interest, mostly because although he's a tough runner, he's dumb as a box of rocks. I never saw so many plays over the last 3 years where Bledsoe would turn to hand the ball off and Henry would be running the other direction. Sure, it's only 4-5 times a season, but that's a lot. And forget about the run-blocking. I like TH, but if I was trading for him, I wouldn't give up much.

248143[/snapback]

i don't know how your aware of the level of interest he is generating, unless you have a bug in TD's office........

there have been reports that up to 5 teams have approached the bills about henry.......that sounds like interest to me........

as well, with rudi and alexander getting tagged, and edge expected to as well, henry is the top back on the market........this will obviously help generate more interest in him.......

Very nice, getting Shelton in here is a good way to help solidify the O-Line. Lets remember that this kid has ALL the physical tools to perform well in the NFL, he just needs a good coach. And no disrespect to the Cards fans, but "good coaching" and "Arizona Cards" havent gone together in 50 years. I think he's going to make a fine addition to the Bills.

Now lets go out and get a FA guard to play at LG and I'll be fine and dandy.

Well said JA. The bottom line is that it is far easier (although less glamorous) to get a RB than a person who can play LT.

If TD can pull this off without giving up a draft pick, this will be a stunning accomplishment.

You hit the nail on the head. I have a RB named Willis, who I can back up for short stints with Shaud or even Joe Burns. And I'm staring at a draft with great backs into the 4th Round: Sproles, Jermell Lewis.

I get Shelton for a cap hit wash, and the very few LT's in this draft would take time to develop.

As an aside, there are more good Guards in this draft into Round 4 as well. I'd take one in RD#2 or 3.

If the Bills do a simple restructure of Shelton's $3 million salary, the trade basically is cap neutral because both players are in the top 51

Henry cap number: $1.35 million ($1.25 million salary + $100,000 proration)

Shelton's cap number: $3 million each of the next 4 yrs

Shelton's minumum salary for his NFL experiece is $665,000

Convert $2.335 million ($3 million - $665,000) to signing bonus. It gets prorated over 4 yrs at $583,375/yr. Shelton's 2005 cap number is now $665,000 + $583,375 = $1,248,750

Cap savings from Henry: $1.25 million

Cap hit for Shelton: $1,248,750

Bills save $1,250 on cap :P

248008[/snapback]

Clump (or plate)? : ),

I'm not sure we would really want to 'backload' LJ's contract any more than what it already is. 3M/yr for a LT is pretty good, plus we take a little hit this year, but makes him more attractive for the next 3 after that.

Wouldn't his cap number go up to ~3.75M each yr w/ this restructure?

The real question is this:  How much more can the Bills REALLY get for Henry?

248058[/snapback]

No its not. That's where I seem to disagree with the rest of you. Putting Shelton at LT is a big step backwards. Spin it anyway you want, but Denny Green is nobody's fool. Servicable LTs with low salaries are not floating around on the waiver wire, or being traded for 2nd or 3rd round picks. Not even in this day of salary cap purges.

This is not about Travis, its about the regressing of the OL. I don't care if it is supposedly our best deal. That thought should have all of you just as concerned as I am.

No its not.  That's where I seem to disagree with the rest of you.  Putting Shelton at LT is a big step backwards.  Spin it anyway you want, but Denny Green is nobody's fool.  Servicable LTs with low salaries are not floating around on the waiver wire, or being traded for 2nd or 3rd round picks.  Not even in this day of salary cap purges.

This is not about Travis, its about the regressing of the OL.  I don't care if it is supposedly our best deal.  That thought should have all of you just as concerned as I am.

248312[/snapback]

I really don't know if LJ is better than/as good as JJ. BUT I do think that LJ is at least a serviceable LT. LJ started 12 games last year, with DGreen hating him. IF DG had the chance LJ would have sat the bench, but obviously LJ is better than Leonard Davis or Davis would have been starting at LT. I would be more scared getting LD then LJ.

Also, if this is true, why are we letting JJ go? I don't think that TD would let JJ go without at least a plan to replace JJ w/ someone comparable.

I think the really interesting thing about this is that none of us have any idea what will happen to our line if/when Shelton arrives. Based on MM/TD's comments earlier (other big changes should be coming to the offense), who knows? There are a number of possibilities.

- Shelton could come in to play LG

- Shelton could come in to replace JJ at LT

- Shelton could come in to play RT, with MW moved to LT to replace JJ

I highly doubt Shelton would be brought in to play LG, not at his salary. That would mean we would have a whole lotta coin tied up at RT and LG, and we'd still need a LT. If Shelton comes, I think that pretty much means JJ is gone. I just wonder what will happen with MW's huge contract.

Makes me a little nervous. As injury-prone as JJ seems to be, at least we know we'd have a pretty decent LT. Not really sure what we'd be getting with Shelton.

I really don't know if LJ is better than/as good as JJ.  BUT I do think that LJ is at least a serviceable LT.  LJ started 12 games last year, with DGreen hating him.  IF DG had the chance LJ would have sat the bench, but obviously LJ is better than Leonard Davis or Davis would have been starting at LT.  I would be more scared getting LD then LJ.

Also, if this is true, why are we letting JJ go?  I don't think that TD would let JJ go without at least a plan to replace JJ w/ someone comparable.

248337[/snapback]

Davis did start at LT. Shelton was the RT last year, even though DG hated him and wanted him gone.

Davis did start at LT.  Shelton was the RT last year, even though DG hated him and wanted him gone.

248356[/snapback]

Oh, ok. I must have misread some of the articles about LJ. I thought he was the LT, was demoted and then put back to LT because LD was cutting it there.

Actually, Anthony Clement is listed on the depth chart at RT and LD at LT, with LJ the back up for RT, so I guess you are right. :P

Oh, ok.  I must have misread some of the articles about LJ.  I thought he was the LT, was demoted and then put back to LT because LD was cutting it there.

Actually, Anthony Clement is listed on the depth chart at RT and LD at LT, with LJ the back up for RT, so I guess you are right.  :P

248364[/snapback]

Clement was the RG most of the year. He was moved to RT when Shelton went down the last 2 games. The depth chart is Greens way of sticking it to Shelton even more. If you had ever seen the guy play, he is great at run blocking, and against power pass rushers. He stuggles with the speed guys, but a good chip from a running back or TE on the outside will slow them down enough for LJ to get hands on him.

If you had ever seen the guy play, he is great at run blocking, and against power pass rushers.  He stuggles with the speed guys, but a good chip from a running back or TE on the outside will slow them down enough for LJ to get hands on him.

248370[/snapback]

Sounds like the very definition of a RT.

As implied by someone else in this thread, MM and TD are cooking up some changes on offense. The only thing this could relate to is the OL as we already know our starting skill positions. All this talk about Shelton may be us shopping for a RT (too expensive at guard.) That sure would make me feel better - for some strange reason.