What's next for technology?

Juror#8

There was basically no motion on the technology front from the 40s through the 70s - a tv, a radio, and a phone is what folks had. There were just minor evolutionary changes to those devices for forty years.

Then the 80s comes and just destroyed paradigms with respect to invention (Internet, cell phones, video gaming, multi media devices, home computer, etc.). And there have only been incremental improvements on those existing devices for the last 30 years but nothing revolutionary.

Have we reached an inventive plateau? From a technology standpoint, can things get appreciably better then they are now? Sure, phones and devices will get faster and more vibrant, but have we peaked as far as "big things" to come out of the technology sector?

Edited by Juror#8

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was going digital that revolutionized everything. Cell concepts have been around since the 1940s right.

I wanna say: teleporting. If they could just zap me to Vienna, I'd meet you for lunch. Just don't let Chef Jim near the plug when I am in the middle! There would be body parts strewn from here to Kathmandu!

;-) ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I think the OP is missing out on the incredible level of evolutionary improvements in technology. The smartphone is hardly the brick cellphone that was invented decades ago. Look at safety improvements, fuel efficiency and reliability improvements in cars over the last ten years alone much less as compared to the history of the car.

Hell even your refrigerator has gone through significant improvements in performance in the last twenty years. Talk about a basically boring device but one that still gets improved.

The list goes on and on.

Robotics are going to be huge. The driver-less car is a good example of this.

I thought that robotics could only operate to stop a car based on determination of fast approaching road obstructions or park a car based on limited stationary circumstances. Didn't know about a self driving car and honestly cant even conceive how that can happen with the number of variables present on an average drive.

Robotics are going to be huge. The driver-less car is a good example of this.

I was just listening to NPR. ESPECIALLY, in healthcare, surgery.

Nano tech.

More and more automation as you Boomers begin to bite the dust. That is less and less peeps to do more and more of the work, heavy lifting.

Sensor technology while being used more all the time (smart watches, autos, etc). is still in it's infancy.

A lot of new products and many in the medical field will arrive constantly as the technology improves, and

The technology comes down in costs.

Not sure what sensor technology is? Like the taptic thing included on the iPhone's?

I did hear a while ago about holographic technology for phones as a possible inclusion to visualize the phone operating experience outside the purview of the phone screen.

I think the OP is missing out on the incredible level of evolutionary improvements in technology. The smartphone is hardly the brick cellphone that was invented decades ago. Look at safety improvements, fuel efficiency and reliability improvements in cars over the last ten years alone much less as compared to the history of the car.

Hell even your refrigerator has gone through significant improvements in performance in the last twenty years. Talk about a basically boring device but one that still gets improved.

The list goes on and on.

Agreed. From the bag phone to today, the leap has been extraordinary. But ... say in the last 10-15 years, since Internet has been accessible on mobile phones, what's been the last truely meaningful evolutionary technology jump?

A decade is a lifetime in the technology world.

Edited by Juror#8

The list goes on and on.

I know! Just installed a new LG fridge after 22 years of the old one (in basement now). There is a whole section in the manual about all the sounds (as quiet as it is compared to old one) may make!

WTF!

I thought just on or off?

The new cars are the same way, so much tech, sensors, etc...

Not sure what sensor technology is? Like the taptic thing included on the iPhone's?

I did hear a while ago about holographic technology for phones as a possible inclusion to visualize the phone operating experience outside the purview of the phone screen.

Agreed. From the bag phone to today, the leap has been extraordinary. But ... say in the last 10-15 years, since Internet has been accessible on mobile phones, what's been the last true evolutionary technology jump?

That is battery tech, smaller and smaller, more power, longer lasting.

I know! Just installed a new LG fridge after 22 years of the old one (in basement now). There is a whole section in the manual about all the sounds (as quiet as it is compared to old one) may make!

WTF!

I thought just on or off?

The new cars are the same way, so much tech, sensors, etc...

But you think the sounds your refrigerator makes has been a revolutionary technological leap?

But you think the sounds your refrigerator makes has been a revolutionary technological leap?

No. But it is doing something efficiently to make them... I suppose.

Maybe I phrased that above post wrong.

Old fridge was a whopping 12 amps. New is 3a.

How does a fridge run on just 3 amps. Code is to have dedicated wall outlet at 20a... 3a blows that outta water!

Linear compressor? Not sure how that works... Never looked that style up. Scroll I know, that is on home HVAC.

It just seems like technology isn't as inventive as it was 30 years ago. Apple and most other manufacturers seem to be at a place where it's making improvements on the existing user experience rather than an introduction of a new paradigm. Apple used to be about "I'm going to show people what they won't be able to live without" and it seems technology isn't trailblazing like that anymore. Almost as if we hit a plateau.

Was wondering if others saw it differently.

I thought that robotics could only operate to stop a car based on determination of fast approaching road obstructions or park a car based on limited stationary circumstances. Didn't know about a self driving car and honestly cant even conceive how that can happen with the number of variables present on an average drive.

Google has spent a ton of time and money on developing a self driving car. There are those that are saying that is the primary reason they are doing Google street maps. If they have every road in the world in a data base of some sort getting cars to navigate them on their own will be "easy".

Watch the video. I love the last guy's reaction.

https://www.google.com/selfdrivingcar/

Edited by Chef Jim

Google has spent a ton of time and money on developing a self driving car. There are those that are saying that is the primary reason they are doing Google street maps. If they have every road in the world in a data base of some sort getting cars to navigate them on their own will be "easy".

This is interesting and a new one to me. I've seen the Google cars driving around nova with the cameras on the hood. Just figured it was for street views to improve the Google map experience. That would be truly freakin cool if a self driving car became a possibility.

It just seems like technology isn't as inventive as it was 30 years ago. Apple and most other manufacturers seem to be at a place where it's making improvements on the existing user experience rather than an introduction of a new paradigm. Apple used to be about "I'm going to show people what they won't be able to live without" and it seems technology isn't trailblazing like that anymore. Almost as if we hit a plateau.

Was wondering if others saw it differently.

I see where you are going. I guess you are right. Has anything been invented that "gets things done" in the last 50 or so. I mean physically gets things done around house donestically.

We still cool our food, freeze.

Vacuum

Cook food

Talk on phone

Wash dishes

What is really new... I know computers, but is it physically doing for us? It cant take my wash down to the hamper? Start a load.

Everything really just has been modified to make things quicker.

This is interesting and a new one to me. I've seen the Google cars driving around nova with the cameras on the hood. Just figured it was for street views to improve the Google map experience. That would be truly freakin cool if a self driving car became a possibility.

But you would still have to be there. You couldn't just let go, fall asleep.

Dude just died in one... First ever I think... Slammed through a semi.

Agreed. From the bag phone to today, the leap has been extraordinary. But ... say in the last 10-15 years, since Internet has been accessible on mobile phones, what's been the last truely meaningful evolutionary technology jump?

Sensor technology is a wide open field. for instance It is used in robotics for just a single example. Knowing when to stop tigheting screws on widgets if the assembly line goes down utilizes simple sensors. Another example is calcularing distance. Or In a smart watch sensors are used to

Say calculate BP, pulse, heart rate etc. Soon calculating ones blood sugar will become readily available. All using sensors. Granted there are many different types of this technology again measuring your BP and calculating how fast a oncoming vechicle is approaching are two very different types of this technology. But they are used in a lot of things including NASA, medical, commercial, Video, etc.

Sensor technology is a wide open field. for instance It is used in robotics for just a single example. Knowing when to stop tigheting screws on widgets if the assembly line goes down utilizes simple sensors. Another example is calcularing distance. Or In a smart watch sensors are used to

Say calculate BP, pulse, heart rate etc. Soon calculating ones blood sugar will become readily available. All using sensors. Granted there are many different types of this technology again measuring your BP and calculating how fast a oncoming vechicle is approaching are two very different types of this technology. But they are used in a lot of things including NASA, medical, commercial, Video, etc.

Throw in 3D printing.. Even print food?????

I edited my post to include a link to Google's website. Not sure if you saw that.

The Tesla does this it changes lanes for you, all you need to do it use the blinked and it does the rest.

Hell my dodge charger has adaptive cruise control, it slows down and speeds up with traffic. It also will come to a complete stop.

Edited by Beef Jerky