bush admits smoking pot

Corp000085

sorta admits...  The irony of the whole story is the guy's name is doug wead... 

http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/02/20/...s.ap/index.html

246433[/snapback]

1) So what? I'd wager that's the rule rather than the exception, particularly for that generation.

2) I can at least respect his reasoning (trying to be a proper role model) for dodging any potential questions.

3) Beats a stupid and weasely answer like "I didn't inhale".

246433[/snapback]

I'm a little younger than George, but every single person I knew in college at least tried smoking pot. He remains an honest, noble man, unlike Slick Willie.

Names can be great. The top urologist in Toledo (everyone seems to end up at this guys office for a vascectomy)... his name is actually Dr. Richard Tapper. I didn't believe it when I first moved here but it's true.

246433[/snapback]

Hmm, when I made a similar style thread a few weeks ago and it was promptly deleted and ultimately led to two week vacation. I was told that it was a silly topic and may provoke partisan responses. Wonder what the difference is here. Just curious.

Actually I have no probelm with the thread, I think that it is both thoughtful and interesting. My opinion is that there is room for this and many other similar style threads. I just wish that the consistancy that we expect, could actually be realized.

Everyone please have a peachy keen day. :D

Hmm, when I made a similar style thread a few weeks ago and it was promptly deleted and ultimately led to two week vacation. I was told that it was a silly topic and may provoke partisan responses. Wonder what the difference is here. Just curious.

Uh oh - the historically known commentary of rio is starting to creep back into his posts.

You mean- "I gotta get more coke for my brother. His nose is like a vaccum cleaner."- Roger Clinton ?

247393[/snapback]

Do you have a citation for that quote?

Otherwise I would think slander is not allowed on this board.

Funny how national reaction to this story is just completely apathetic. Having an elected official smoke a joint or blow a line when they were younger means nothing to most anyone these days, primarily because the only reason people care is if they're being lied to about it or treated like a gradeschool student (see: I didn't inhale).

The president isn't walking in and out of rehab, blown out of his mind like Matthew Perry or Charlie Sheen.

He had some fun in college.Same with Clinton. Same with probably 75% of your elected officials. BFD.

And you think it's a partisan issue?  I highly doubt there's all that many honest men in politics on either side.

And?

Are you suggesting that anyone who has ever snorted a few lines of coke should be disqualified from running for President?

Actually I wasn't even thinking about the president with my comment - well I lumped him in with the rest I guess. My thought behind the "running america" comment was more about the corporate world - not just the political world.

Some drink, some do coke - we all have our vices. Some are morally more acceptable then others.

He had some fun in college.Same with Clinton. Same with probably 75% of your elected officials. BFD.

247692[/snapback]

How 'bout considering some legislation to legalize the crap then?

Unless they don't remember smoking pot.....

Actually I wasn't even thinking about the president with my comment - well I lumped him in with the rest I guess.  My thought behind the "running america" comment was more about the corporate world - not just the political world. 

Some drink, some do coke - we all have our vices.  Some are morally more acceptable then others.

248397[/snapback]

Some of the smartest and most driven people I've worked with in the corporate world are also the hardest partiers. The work hard/play hard mentality goes hand in hand with people who are risk takers. At one company, the #1 sales guy was also the company's best coke connection. One guy who founded his own company and built it into a successes ($100MM, over 500 employees) used to talk about all the acid trips he had taken and regularly got high with his employees. He was the most brilliant guy I've ever met. On the other end of the scale are the loser burn outs, but they aren't going to be running America (or anything else) anyway. Like Ed suggested, it's just as easy to screw up your life with too much booze as it is with too much drugs.

Funny how national reaction to this story is just completely apathetic. Having an elected official smoke a joint or blow a line when they were younger means nothing to most anyone these days, primarily because the only reason people care is if they're being lied to about it or treated like a gradeschool student (see: I didn't inhale).

The president isn't walking in and out of rehab, blown out of his mind like Matthew Perry or Charlie Sheen.

247692[/snapback]

so what if an elected official did coke or pot

as long as they stay off the hot pockets

Some of the smartest and most driven people I've worked with in the corporate world are also the hardest partiers.  The work hard/play hard mentality goes hand in hand with people who are risk takers.  At one company, the #1 sales guy was also the company's best coke connection.  One guy who founded his own company and built it into a successes ($100MM, over 500 employees) used to talk about all the acid trips he had taken and regularly got high with his employees.  He was the most brilliant guy I've ever met.  On the other end of the scale are the loser burn outs, but they aren't going to be running America (or anything else) anyway.  Like Ed suggested, it's just as easy to screw up your life with too much booze as it is with too much drugs.

248818[/snapback]

Many "brilliant", "high IQ'd" individuals have many problems to deal with. Whether it involves being antisocial, insecure, pompous, etc... brilliant individuals rarely have a combination of intelligence and common sense. They occassionaly turn to drugs, alcohol, or other ways to help themselves better deal with their situations. I think you make an excellent point. However, I would not call these people "smart"... I cannot define any drug using, hard partying individual as "smart"... but I will call an individual with these qualities and a tremendous IQ as "brilliant". I would call someone with a high IQ that decides to avoid illegal drugs and has a good portion of common sense as "smart".

Many "brilliant", "high IQ'd" individuals have many problems to deal with. Whether it involves being antisocial, insecure, pompous, etc... brilliant individuals rarely have a combination of intelligence and common sense. They occassionaly turn to drugs, alcohol, or other ways to help themselves better deal with their situations. I think you make an excellent point. However, I would not call these people "smart"... I cannot define any drug using, hard partying individual as "smart"... but I will call an individual with these qualities and a tremendous IQ as "brilliant". I would call someone with a high IQ that decides to avoid illegal drugs and has a good portion of common sense as "smart".

249111[/snapback]

That's why everyone should be put on prozac.