I think Bills are planning a move up in the draft

He wanted to start, to prove himself, to get paid. This season is his fifth season? Yes? The clock is ticking on these guys earning potential

Then, sticking with your narrative, why did he take a two-year deal to come to Buffalo? Why not a one-year "prove it" deal? He must have incredibly stupid advisers, or be incredibly stupid himself.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wanted to start, to prove himself, to get paid. This season is his fifth season? Yes? The clock is ticking on these guys earning potential

My biggest point is that the bills dont have qb money. Why does this team treat that position like an afterthought?

Because they were rightly planning on not having to pay a franchise QB salary until 2017--and that is most certainly the case.

Then, sticking with your narrative, why did he take a two-year deal to come to Buffalo? Why not a one-year "prove it" deal? He must have incredibly stupid advisers, or be incredibly stupid himself.

He didn't; he took a 3-year deal that voided to 2 years if he met certain playing time incentives. It was a good deal for both sides at the time.

Make no mistake; Tyrod doesn't regret it. He knows the situation and isn't upset; his agent is barking to make himself look good to future clients.

Lack of foresight? His agent is second string? He saw more zeros than hes ever seen in his young life? Idk? Ask him.

Look, the bills got the formula all backwards, and its frustrating to me. Whaley has built nothing. And he just keeps getting a pass for Jerry Hughes? For Darby?

Lack of foresight? His agent is second string? He saw more zeros than hes ever seen in his young life? Idk? Ask him.

Look, the bills got the formula all backwards, and its frustrating to me. Whaley has built nothing. And he just keeps getting a pass for Jerry Hughes? For Darby?

They don't have the formula backwards--why should they save cap money for a franchise QB when they don't have one on the roster at the time?

They have the formula exactly right--don't pay a guy that you aren't sure is your franchise QB until either (a) you're sure, or (b) the situation forces it. Right now, neither of those are true, so he's not getting a new deal.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Now, if you want to criticize that they haven't invested enough high picks in QBs, that's a different point, and it's one that would have more merit.

If the Bills did anything like the website suggests, involving a trade of Taylor, going into the season with a rookie and EJ at QB, and giving up the ability to draft for the defense until at least the 3rd, it would be obvious to me that they are going to move on from Rex after this year, that he has no power or influence, and they are setting him up to fail. It also would show to me that Whaley thinks he has a very long leash because he would be thinking long term rebuild at QB vs going with what is currently working.

If they simply were to draft a QB in the first 2-3 rounds without trading Taylor or giving up high picks, that would make a lot of sense as long as they had that QB one of their BPA at the time they took him.

Agree 100 %

They don't have the formula backwards--why should they save cap money for a franchise QB when they don't have one on the roster at the time?

They have the formula exactly right--don't pay a guy that you aren't sure is your franchise QB until either (a) you're sure, or (b) the situation forces it. Right now, neither of those are true, so he's not getting a new deal.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Now, if you want to criticize that they haven't invested enough high picks in QBs, that's a different point, and it's one that would have more merit.

They have neglected the QB position since they began. This season is just a new chapter in that story. And this situation with Taylor, who is clearly a starter, is projecting that, to me.

Theres three likely scenarios that i can see, for Taylor.

1. He progresses from last season and his earning potential goes where it should go. 12-16 mill?

2. He gets creamed and his earing potential nosedives

3. He takes his team into the playoffs, cements his place as a top 10 qb and can get the $20 mill he wants.

Part of the point is, you want to be aligned with your QB, you want him happy, you want him as the happiest guy on the team. Not reaching, streching, getting aggrevated. Thats my two sense

"I just don't know why everyone thinks Whaley is good. Take away the times he's been good, and he hasn't been good."

Right? Both sides of the Whaley argument do this incessantly.

Take away his good acquisitions, and he's terrible. Take away his bad ones, and he's incredible!

They have neglected the QB position since they began. This season is just a new chapter in that story. And this situation with Taylor, who is clearly a starter, is projecting that, to me.

Theres three likely scenarios that i can see, for Taylor.

1. He progresses from last season and his earning potential goes where it should go. 12-16 mill?

2. He gets creamed and his earing potential nosedives

3. He takes his team into the playoffs, cements his place as a top 10 qb and can get the $20 mill he wants.

Part of the point is, you want to be aligned with your QB, you want him happy, you want him as the happiest guy on the team. Not reaching, streching, getting aggrevated. Thats my two sense

Well, "since they began" is a really nebulous starting point, so it's difficult to know what you mean.

However, if we call 2013 the beginning of Whaley's tenure, then they have not neglected the QB position at all. They signed a presumed starter in FA (Kevin Kolb) and drafted a potential franchise guy in the first round.

The following year, they brought in a veteran backup who also had starting experience (Orton). I wish they could've gotten him in camp sooner, but he didn't want to come to camp, so they were forced to wait.

Last year, they went out and got a starting QB in FA, one for whom you're advocating a significant pay increase--based on that alone, how can you now bang the drum that they've neglected the position? Do you really not see the duality of that?

As to the 3 possibilities, you've got them nailed 100%. The other side of the coin is that your stating QB has incentive to play as well as possible to earn his huge payday. If he does, he'll get it--here or elsewhere (but the overwhelming odds say it'll be here, since he'll get tagged as the worst possible case).

If he's unhappy, he can express that to the team and his agent (though this board's insiders, who are quite reliable, say that he isn't); it won't get him his new megadeal though--only his improved play can do that.

Well, "since they began" is a really nebulous starting point, so it's difficult to know what you mean.

However, if we call 2013 the beginning of Whaley's tenure, then they have not neglected the QB position at all. They signed a presumed starter in FA (Kevin Kolb) and drafted a potential franchise guy in the first round.

The following year, they brought in a veteran backup who also had starting experience (Orton). I wish they could've gotten him in camp sooner, but he didn't want to come to camp, so they were forced to wait.

Last year, they went out and got a starting QB in FA, one for whom you're advocating a significant pay increase--based on that alone, how can you now bang the drum that they've neglected the position? Do you really not see the duality of that?

As to the 3 possibilities, you've got them nailed 100%. The other side of the coin is that your stating QB has incentive to play as well as possible to earn his huge payday. If he does, he'll get it--here or elsewhere (but the overwhelming odds say it'll be here, since he'll get tagged as the worst possible case).

If he's unhappy, he can express that to the team and his agent (though this board's insiders, who are quite reliable, say that he isn't); it won't get him his new megadeal though--only his improved play can do that.

Im not going to keep ragging on Whaley, i seen better, but ive seen worse. Hes middle of the pack.

Hopefully it all works out and Taylor ends up being happy and successful as a Bill.

One question, what's our history on Whaley's watch over the last six drafts for picks 49th and after?

There have been 36 of them?

After having done that research, what would you rather have, Goff, or those picks?

OK

Neither has proven that they can even stay healthy. If you think that Miller is good we'll simply have to agree to disagree.

As with Williams, seriously?, he's another player that's been more hype than solid. He had two good games, both played in Florida where he's from. He was horrible in six games and missed most of the rest.

Against anyone but the Fins he had 72 carries for 297 yards, an avg. of a very pedestrian 4.1, and 3 rushing TDs in 9 other games. He missed the rest.

So it would seem that unless we play Miami he's really not very good. We only have two Miami games. Factor in that he was injury prone, along with Miller, and that's one of the differences on why some people support Whaley and some don't. We're not going to become a top team by drafting the likes of Miller and Williams.

When you draft a player in the 5th and he contributes in his rookie year that's a win. Same holds true when you draft in the 3rd and get a starter. I'm not suggesting we know what either of those players are going to become. Are you suggesting those were failed picks? What exactly would constitute a successful pick in those later rounds after their first year?

I don't even see 1 sense in your comments. :huh:

-Tyrod isn't worth franchise QB money

-Bills can't afford to pay him franchise QB money

If a trade does happen it might be the smart move to try and get something for him now rather than let him walk after the season

-Tyrod isn't worth franchise QB money

-Bills can't afford to pay him franchise QB money

If a trade does happen it might be the smart move to try and get something for him now rather than let him walk after the season

They aren't going to let him walk if they want him.