Tyler Dunne: What is the ideal QB today?

@TyDunne

What is the ideal QB today? Soon, the #Bills must decide. On Tyrod to deliver late in games. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/03/12/performance-at-tough-situations-will-determine-tyrods-value/

251301-1024x688.jpg

But general managers agree that poise in the pocket, dissecting a defense and, above all, mettle to deliver late in games matters most at the position. What was true for quarterbacks in 1976 is true in 2016.

Free agency raised the stakes yet again. Brock Osweiler’s four-year, $72 million contract surely made Taylor a happy man – yet Whaley must be careful.

They’re not talking about Taylor specifically, no, but listen to the NFL’s top power brokers analyze the position at the scouting combine and it’s clear the Bills must still see their own unique talent check off boxes before making a long-term investment.

“I think you watch them in tough situations,” said Pittsburgh Steelers GM Kevin Colbert, who was on the staff that picked Ben Roethlisberger 11th overall in 2004. “Sometimes, you’ll evaluate them more on third down, you’ll evaluate the throws they’re making when the pocket is breaking down and things are going on around their feet that aren’t real pleasant.

I know it's a different sport but this man is worth 20 million easy...

I don't know, I mean it's not like he's ever scored 100 points in a game like Wilt Chamberlain so is he REALLY as good as people say he is? Also he might start sucking as soon as you pay him so why take the chance?

I don't know, I mean it's not like he's ever scored 100 points in a game like Wilt Chamberlain so is he REALLY as good as people say he is? Also he might start sucking as soon as you pay him so why take the chance?

Taylor or Curry? Taylor might not be the answer at QB for the Bills, I'm hopeful and dig what I've seen so far but he hasn't locked it up in my mind yet. I like the take in the article (and it's one Whaley's talked about before), let's see if Taylor can win a few games with his arm this year / snatch victory from the jaws of defeat before we declare him the answer.

If your with Dak Prescott over there, make sure you get him a designated driver this time.

That pretty funny Marty !!

Put it all on his shoulders and see if he can handle it.

Roman is bringing him along nicely, but he does have a way to go.

still best we have had in years. I rate him over Fitz for sure if only for his longball. But he has many more qualities to him IMHO

still best we have had in years. I rate him over Fitz for sure if only for his longball. But he has many more qualities to him IMHO

He looks the best in years, but nowhere near worth $18M+/year.

Eh...I'm not so sure about that one.

I think he is well well aware of what he needs to work on Doc.

I am quite sure is a driven Man though and his goal is surely to earn that value..

Never found TT to be egocentric at all. Why might you think he feels he is already at that level Franchise QB ?

He has said only that it is his goal to prove it as far as i know.

And if he does clear some more hurdles, he will get paid. By someone.

; )

I think he is well well aware of what he needs to work on Doc.

I am quite sure is a driven Man though and his goal is surely to earn that value..

Never found TT to be egocentric at all. Why might you think he feels he is already at that level Franchise QB ?

He has said only that it is his goal to prove it as far as i know.

And if he does clear some more hurdles, he will get paid. By someone.

; )

$18M/year is what Osweiler got. And it's not so much him as his agent.

$18M/year is what Osweiler got. And it's not so much him as his agent.

I expect Tyrod will get that with a decent contract if his play develops as i expect.

I see your point, that an unproven guy can make out on big payday. I dont think TT expects it "this" season.

and it will be interesting to see how Brock works out as with Bradford.

Not enough QBs to go around

Agree. I think Roman did the right thing by taking his progression slow and not overloading him. I really think he can take the next step this season, lead receivers with passes and step up his 2 minute drill, hes gonna have to start calling his own plays and Peyton manning that ****. Im optimistic about our offense this year especially with Higgins in the draft and a beast LB in the 1st round with a solid DT/NT in the 2nd that can eat the double teams and slide Marcell to DE 5 tec and let him rip. not a fan of drafting an edge rusher in the 1st 2 rounds considering we have Dareus as a proven comodity, we cant waste him at NT like we did last season.

Agree. I think Roman did the right thing by taking his progression slow and not overloading him. I really think he can take the next step this season, lead receivers with passes and step up his 2 minute drill, hes gonna have to start calling his own plays and Peyton manning that ****. Im optimistic about our offense this year especially with Higgins in the draft and a beast LB in the 1st round with a solid DT/NT in the 2nd that can eat the double teams and slide Marcell to DE 5 tec and let him rip. not a fan of drafting an edge rusher in the 1st 2 rounds considering we have Dareus as a proven comodity, we cant waste him at NT like we did last season.

Lol'd

awesome Marty!

with a full offseason of TT as #1 going into OTA and any little boot camps TT runs. Roman knows the players now, Kromer will get more time in with the big uglies.Sanjya does whatever it his he does!

I can hardly imagine we wont take notice of tangible progress on the offense.

Roman needs to give Tyrod the keys to this offense and let him run it. Full control of audibles, pre snap reads, everything. During OTA's and training camp last year, he never got full reps with his receivers and the offense. He'll get full reps this year and we'll see what he's really capable of doing.

The best thing that happens here is that TT takes a huge step forward and the Bills franchise him if necessary. They can then work on a long term contract.

I may be among a very few here but I think the Bills are being smart for not signing TT to a big contract now. One, they simply do not have the cap space. More importantly, we all saw what happened with Fitz when there was thought he was " the guy". He wasn't and the Bills wasted time and money coming to that conclusion.