NK sub gone missing

Well,................that explains it.

2014061701245_2.jpg

I would never get in or aboard anything made or maintained in that country. Least of all a submarine. Kinda like the same logic I use when I'm at a county fair. I'm not getting on those rides setup but those guys.

I would never get in or aboard anything made or maintained in that country. Least of all a submarine. Kinda like the same logic I use when I'm at a county fair. I'm not getting on those rides setup but those guys.

WTF, you don't like Mad Mouse Russian Roulette?

The problem with that is China would lose as much as we would should America fall. China and the US are definitely sparring behind the scenes, from the cyberwar that's ongoing to the build up in the South China Sea. But China doesn't want a full scale war with America, it'd be a disaster for them -- not only militarily (for now) but economically.

Any ideas what that was? I remember a bit about this incident, mainly Putin being "on vacation", but nothing else.

Best guess is a weapons test gone bad. The Russians cut the Torpedo Room (forward-most hull section) off of the ship using a diamond encrusted wire rope before allowing the rest of the sub to be refloated and hauled into port.

Suffocation. Possibly hypothermia.

A particularly slow and horrible way to die.

I meant what was the secret Putin / Russia sacrificed the sailors for as alluded to in RI's post.

The weapon system they were testing.

Best guess is a weapons test gone bad. The Russians cut the Torpedo Room (forward-most hull section) off of the ship using a diamond encrusted wire rope before allowing the rest of the sub to be refloated and hauled into port.

Wait...you mean, they weren't rammed by the Memphis trying to avoid an SS-N-14 fired from Pyotr Velikiye? I can't believe abovetopsecret.com got that wrong!

A particularly slow and horrible way to die.

Did you ever hear the story about when they were recovering one of the battleships at Pearl (I think it was the West Virginia), the salvage divers entered a compartment and found some remains, and something like eighteen marks on the wall. Three sailors were trapped in a partially-flooded compartment under the waterline when ship settled, and lasted eighteen days. No light, no food, water to their waist, probably survived that long by "drinking" the condensation off the bulkheads.

In a war full of atrocious stories, I always thought that was one of the worst.

Wait...you mean, they weren't rammed by the Memphis trying to avoid an SS-N-14 fired from Pyotr Velikiye? I can't believe abovetopsecret.com got that wrong!

Did you ever hear the story about when they were recovering one of the battleships at Pearl (I think it was the West Virginia), the salvage divers entered a compartment and found some remains, and something like eighteen marks on the wall. Three sailors were trapped in a partially-flooded compartment under the waterline when ship settled, and lasted eighteen days. No light, no food, water to their waist, probably survived that long by "drinking" the condensation off the bulkheads.

In a war full of atrocious stories, I always thought that was one of the worst.

I didn't hear that but it's so unfortunate. I remember hearing stories how over time the banging of wrenches on bulkheads trying to attract rescuers attention gradually abated as days went by and the trapped sailors passed away. Very tragic

My uncle Raymond was on the Arizona on 12/7/41, and just went topside to relieve his buddy on watch. His buddy went into the same bunk Raymond just left and never made it out.

I'm into a kick of reading war stories right now. It's fascinating to me the kind of brutality and horrific carnage they bring. Just learned that the Brits went over to the low country after the dead of Wellington's and Napoleon's armies were reduced to white skeletons. Those skeletons along with those of the dead horses were collected en masse and shipped to Hull where they were ground into dust to be used as fertilizer.

My uncle Raymond was on the Arizona on 12/7/41, and just went topside to relieve his buddy on watch. His buddy went into the same bunk Raymond just left and never made it out.

I'm into a kick of reading war stories right now. It's fascinating to me the kind of brutality and horrific carnage they bring. Just learned that the Brits went over to the low country after the dead of Wellington's and Napoleon's armies were reduced to white skeletons. Those skeletons along with those of the dead horses were collected en masse and shipped to Hull where they were ground into dust to be used as fertilizer.

reposted for comparison

369.jpg