Manny Lawson Called the Bills' D at the End of 2015 Season

I tend to think Rex had been working with Brown all season long and was getting frustrated enough to say something to the media and also to let Lawson take over the job at the end of the year. One thing I do know is young guys often don't take criticism well. Maybe Rex felt he needed to push his buttons a little harder. We can only speculate but I'm not ready just say Rex was wrong. He may very well have had a good reason to be vocal about it. Maybe blowhard Rex should have kept his big mouth shut. Either way, I don't think we have enough information say one way or the other.

It's pathetic. He can't figure out how to work with a young player outside of slamming him in public? That isn't very honorable. Rex is trying to buy time. He said himself this is his last chance as a head coach. Maybe he thinks slamming them will get him another year or something. He is one of 32 coaches yet he has Powerball odds of winning anything.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pathetic. He can't figure out how to work with a young player outside of slamming him in public? That isn't very honorable. Rex is trying to buy time. He said himself this is his last chance as a head coach. Maybe he thinks slamming them will get him another year or something. He is one of 32 coaches yet he has Powerball odds of winning anything.

Your take is laughable. Slamming Brown (Something he didn't do) won't buy Rex one second of time. You make quite a few definitive posts with no real substance to back them up. Keep repeating them all you like, but that doesn't make them true.

Your take is laughable. Slamming Brown (Something he didn't do) won't buy Rex one second of time. You make quite a few definitive posts with no real substance to back them up. Keep repeating them all you like, but that doesn't make them true.

Buying time is all i can figure out because there is no other reason to go to the press and whine about a young player. If he did something you don't like, or you don't think he can make it, cut him. Then shut up and let him try to make a living with another team.

All of the things he said about Brown could be true. All of those things are a thing a coach can say to a player. Doing it in the press is sad. It just makes players wonder who is next. Poor widdle Wex didn't have David Harris or ray Lewis to run his defense.

again, it is just opinion if it was a slam. i think it was not.

Ok, yeah, so I worded that awkwardly. I disagree that telling a young guy he's smart enough to do the job and he needs to step up is going to reduce the likelihood of that happening.

I also wonder where this "Rex can't motivate" stuff is coming from -- pretty much everywhere he has been players have said the opposite.

My view of Rex's flaws pertain primarily to how he handled his offense with the Jets and his game management decisions -- not that he lacks the ability to motivate.

Mario Williams is a strange cat -- let's not allow one disgruntled star's moodiness and lack of character to define a head coach.

Players have said he can motivate, but what does that mean?

When players rolled over and died year after year in NY, where was the master motivator?

Buying time is all i can figure out because there is no other reason to go to the press and whine about a young player. If he did something you don't like, or you don't think he can make it, cut him. Then shut up and let him try to make a living with another team.

All of the things he said about Brown could be true. All of those things are a thing a coach can say to a player. Doing it in the press is sad. It just makes players wonder who is next. Poor widdle Wex didn't have David Harris or ray Lewis to run his defense.

Players should wonder, if they underperform as Brown clearly did. Clearly and undeniably. Not terrible but not up to his responsibilities . I find it hard to believe folks who watched the games and watched Brown or Bradham thought these guys played well. Not just play call but natural instinct the Offense play calling. same with the safeties, Who Brown was supposed to help set.

That being said i think Preston will come around

Players have said he can motivate, but what does that mean?

When players rolled over and died year after year in NY, where was the master motivator?

rolled over. you sure. i am not going to defend Rex. But i never read that. I actually read the opposite. maybe they sucked in the secondary last season of Rex. but i never read gave up.

Players should wonder, if they underperform as Brown clearly did. Clearly and undeniably. Not terrible but not up to his responsibilities . I find it hard to believe folks who watched the games and watched Brown or Bradham thought these guys played well. Not just play call but natural instinct the Offense play calling. same with the safeties, Who Brown was supposed to help set.

Brown and Bradham played well in 2014. What changed?

It's funny the players who choose to call out in the media. For all the talk of Mario quitting here, I never heard Rex call him out. Or Jerry Hughes or other players for dumb penalties.

he called out Mario for acting like "he thought he was dying" in the locker room after the Jets TNF game when he was sick. It sounded like he didn't really believe he was too sick to play. He called Hughes' penalty count "alarming" and sounded pissed, and they lessened as the year went on.

Who whined? Rex made some statements at the combine (when asked) about what he needed out of his MLB, and at least twice he commented that Brown is capable of doing it.

Your insistence on continuing this line of reasoning is curious.

Who whined? Rex made some statements at the combine (when asked) about what he needed out of his MLB, and at least twice he commented that Brown is capable of doing it.

Your insistence on continuing this line of reasoning is curious.

The stuff Rex said is simply not something a secure person says. It is like some mom going on Facebook and blaming an error the second baseman made for the loss of a little league game. Keep it to yourself. It's what grown ups do.

I'm not a huge fans of players doing it either but it is far different coming from a coach. When Sammy complained, he did so because he was not in control. It is the same with other players at times. Not a great look but an outlet of last resort. Rex is in control. If Brown is subpar, coach him up. If not, find somebody else, If nobody can do it....you know like our crap defense in 2015.....then maybe be a little introspective instead of whining to a reporter.

I don't unerstand the backlash at Rex on this one. Brown was frickin terrible last year. If they had any depth at LB he would have been benched. Brown knows better than we do how bad he was and how much he needs to improve to remain a starter.

Bills will bring in no less then three LB's to compete for jobs. Two in the draft and probably a veteran FA that is familiar with the Ryan system.

Thank you.

very terrible, how can rex not go to full press coverage by the 2nd quarter?

that was truly heartbreaking, and the tipping point for the team i believe

I don't unerstand the backlash at Rex on this one. Brown was frickin terrible last year. If they had any depth at LB he would have been benched. Brown knows better than we do how bad he was and how much he needs to improve to remain a starter.

Bills will bring in no less then three LB's to compete for jobs. Two in the draft and probably a veteran FA that is familiar with the Ryan system.

I think they blame rex or someone for not getting the proper calls into Brown in a timely manner

rolled over. you sure. i am not going to defend Rex. But i nevemr read that. I actually read the opposite. maybe they sucked in the secondary last season of Rex. but i never read gave up.

we forget how much the NY media loved Rex. They hated Idzik and the NY Jets. Rex gave them fodder for articles and spin. Rex gave them headlines and news to attack the owner and the team. We didn't hear much negative on Rex because that's not what got out.

we forget how much the NY media loved Rex. They hated Idzik and the NY Jets. Rex gave them fodder for articles and spin. Rex gave them headlines and news to attack the owner and the team. We didn't hear much negative on Rex because that's not what got out.

so someone posts that jets rolled over. but did they really?