the Great Sport of Football

UB2SF

Last night, while watching SportsCenter, I was reminded of the greatness of the sport of football, especially relative to the other major sports in the US.

NHL? -- season cancelled, future in doubt

MLB? -- players are juiced on 'roids, payrolls are bloated and imbalanced

NBA? -- bunch of me-first brawlers

MLS? -- whatever

Football ain't perfect, but as the other major league sports deteriorate into national embarrassments, I'm doubly pleased to be a devoted fan.

Is it September yet? :doh:

Last night, while watching SportsCenter, I was reminded of the greatness of the sport of football, especially relative to the other major sports in the US.

NHL?  -- season cancelled, future in doubt

MLB?  -- players are juiced on 'roids, payrolls are bloated and imbalanced

NBA?  -- bunch of me-first brawlers

MLS?  -- whatever

Football ain't perfect, but as the other major league sports deteriorate into national embarrassments, I'm doubly pleased to be a devoted fan.

Is it September yet?  :doh:

243688[/snapback]

What is MLS and why is it part of the comparison??

Yeah, and if you're going to include it then why leave off the WNBA?

243703[/snapback]

Actually, the WNBA actually has a broader fan base than the NHL at current moment, this according to ESPN, and I am tempted to believe it.

NHL?  -- season cancelled, future in doubt

MLB?  -- players are juiced on 'roids, payrolls are bloated and imbalanced

NBA?  -- bunch of me-first brawlers

MLS?  -- whatever

Is it September yet?  :doh:

243688[/snapback]

While you want to make an argument against MLB, it is coming off a great postseason, a terrific off-season, and has momentum again. There's no such thing as bad press, remember? So while we all talk about steroids and juiced players, everyone is going to watch to see the impact it has on the game, and who's the first doofus to get caught.

Don't get me wrong, I love the NFL, and I agree it is the most popualr of all the laeagues, but Baseball, nor the NBA are down in the dumps.

now theres a sport worth watching...man i miss the days when the Bandits first came to Buffalo and me and my dad went to almost every game...

243749[/snapback]

Can't we put Dodgeball in the list? I read about it in obscure sports quarterly.

now theres a sport worth watching...man i miss the days when the Bandits first came to Buffalo and me and my dad went to almost every game...

243749[/snapback]

I was in highschool when the Bandits came to town, and I went to the first ever game with a bunch of friends. Tickets were something like $10/each and we were 3 rows up from the glass at the Aud. Great game to watch.

Unfortunately, they lost... That was their only home loss all season :lol: And I think for their entire second season too... *sigh* Oh well :doh:

I have season tickets for the Minnesota Swarm now and have been to every game. Guess what? They havn't won a home game yet either. I think I'm an NLL jinx. :lol:

Can't we put Dodgeball in the list? I read about it in obscure sports quarterly.

Don't knock it until you've seen it. It's a great sport to watch. And Buffalo's won a few championships too :lol:

CW

NFL dosent have steriods issues and drug problems and legal problems?

Hasnt the NFL striked twice?

And you know once the players find out they are not getting their fare share, they will strike again.

I LOVE the NFL, but dont put it on a pedastal.

243754[/snapback]

Well said!

While you want to make an argument against MLB, it is coming off a great postseason, a terrific off-season, and has momentum again. There's no such thing as bad press, remember? So while we all talk about steroids and juiced players, everyone is going to watch to see the impact it has on the game, and who's the first doofus to get caught.

Don't get me wrong, I love the NFL, and I agree it is the most popualr of all the laeagues, but Baseball, nor the NBA are down in the dumps.

243743[/snapback]

No, the NBA is in the dumps. Whether people want to admit it or not, the league has completely lost touch with suburban white America. The ratings for the Spurs-Nets Finals 2 years ago were an embarassment; and I'd imagine that won't be much better this year with all of the big markets going nowhere fast. That Lebron kid is great and fun to watch, but until his team becomes a contender, the league will struggle.

It appears MLB will always be popular no matter what, though I have no idea why.

NFL dosent have steriods issues and drug problems and legal problems?

Hasnt the NFL striked twice?

And you know once the players find out they are not getting their fare share, they will strike again.

I LOVE the NFL, but dont put it on a pedastal.

243754[/snapback]

I have no qualms about putting it on a pedestal. (Reminds me of Steve Martin's old stand-up routine, in which he talked about putting women on a pedestal... high enough to see up their skirts. :lol: )

In all seriousness, I believe firmly that the state of the NFL right now is pretty damm healthy. In terms of steroid and substance abuse issues, the NFL's policy is usually cited as the gold standard by people looking at how to fix baseball's issues. And yes, the NFL players have striked, but that's not a current issue, it's a historical issue. The NFL's current economic model works out pretty well for everyone... teams, players, and sponsors... and while ticket prices are awfully high, the value-for-the-dollar ratio remains good.

If you don't want to put the NFL on a pedestal, then don't. But I will. And maybe I'll even sneak a peak at some cheerleader undies while I'm in the process. :doh:

I was in highschool when the Bandits came to town, and I went to the first ever game with a bunch of friends.  Tickets were something like $10/each and we were 3 rows up from the glass at the Aud.  Great game to watch.

Unfortunately, they lost...  That was their only home loss all season <_<  And I think for their entire second season too... *sigh*  Oh well :devil:

I have season tickets for the Minnesota Swarm now and have been to every game.  Guess what?  They havn't won a home game yet either.  I think I'm an NLL jinx. :(

Don't knock it until you've seen it.  It's a great sport to watch.  And Buffalo's won a few championships too <_<

CW

243752[/snapback]

Love the "indoor war". Do they still fight?

Love the "indoor war".  Do they still fight?

243972[/snapback]

The Swarm do (not sure about other teams; our team seems to get down and then get chippy and then get into fights...). :devil:

In a preseason game (yes, preseason!), towards the end of the game (down by about 5), an all-out brawl started. There was one fight... Then two... Then those were separated, but another started. And another... At one point there were three or four fights going on at the exact same time. I took a picture, should post it. <_<

But again, it could be just because our team is an expansion team and we suck (and our #1 player has been hurt since game 3....)

CW

The Swarm do (not sure about other teams; our team seems to get down and then get chippy and then get into fights...). :devil:

In a preseason game (yes, preseason!), towards the end of the game (down by about 5), an all-out brawl started.  There was one fight...  Then two...  Then those were separated, but another started.  And another...  At one point there were three or four fights going on at the exact same time.  I took a picture, should post it. <_<

But again, it could be just because our team is an expansion team and we suck (and our #1 player has been hurt since game 3....)

CW

243979[/snapback]

Most lacrosse players are also hockey players, so the emotion and code translate over. Good stuff.