the Great Sport of Football

UB2SF

The Swarm do (not sure about other teams; our team seems to get down and then get chippy and then get into fights...). :devil:

In a preseason game (yes, preseason!), towards the end of the game (down by about 5), an all-out brawl started.  There was one fight...  Then two...  Then those were separated, but another started.  And another...  At one point there were three or four fights going on at the exact same time.  I took a picture, should post it. <_<

But again, it could be just because our team is an expansion team and we suck (and our #1 player has been hurt since game 3....)

CW

243979[/snapback]

See, that's just plain dangerous. Fights in hockey are so acceptable because of leverage. When you punch someone and you are standing on skates, a good portion of that energy pushes you back a bit. That's why the officials jump in as soon as the guys fall to the ice... too much leverage at that point.

But in lax, a full out brawl? That's basically just a street fight... sweet.

No, the NBA is in the dumps.  Whether people want to admit it or not, the league has completely lost touch with suburban white America.  The ratings for the Spurs-Nets Finals 2 years ago were an embarassment; and I'd imagine that won't be much better this year with all of the big markets going nowhere fast.  That Lebron kid is great and fun to watch, but until his team becomes a contender, the league will struggle. 

It appears MLB will always be popular no matter what, though I have no idea why.

243766[/snapback]

I don't remember which games were on at the time, but day 1 of the NFL draft beat 2 different NBA playoff games in ratings throughout the day.

Pretty incredible when you think about it. There really is no comparison anymore between which is the most popular sport in America.

I agree ... it's almost as bad as the notion that NASCAR is a sport

244023[/snapback]

Ahhh, I was wondering when someone would raise the NASCAR angle in this thread. I was having a discussion over lunch about this thread topic, and one of my co-workers (whose life has trailer-trash overtones) wondered why I didn't give NASCAR the same props as I was giving football. "Um," I said, "I don't consider NASCAR a sport."

At that point, she spit tobacco in my face and started singing the lyrics to some country song about murder.

OK, I made up that last part, but the rest of it is true. :devil: