Browns hire Hue Jackson

YoloinOhio

@RapSheet

The #Browns have hired DC Ray Horton and run-game coordinator Kirby Wilson, sources say. Both deals done.

Kirby Wilson is a good football coach and Horton has run some good defenses along with some bad ones.

Reich's firing in San Diego is interesting. The offense ranked highly both years he was there as OC. He seems to have been fired for struggling to run the ball and struggling to protect Rivers.... but when you look at the injuries they have had on their line the past two years I think he has done as well as could legitimately be expected.

O-Line is the area of the field where I believe there is the lowest overall level of depth in the National Football League. If you lose receivers and backs and defensive backs and even edge rushers you can pick up guys off the street who can come in and play and not look awful. You can't on the offensive line such is the paucity of talent.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirby Wilson is a good football coach and Horton has run some good defenses along with some bad ones.

Reich's firing in San Diego is interesting. The offense ranked highly both years he was there as OC. He seems to have been fired for struggling to run the ball and struggling to protect Rivers.... but when you look at the injuries they have had on their line the past two years I think he has done as well as could legitimately be expected.

O-Line is the area of the field where I believe there is the lowest overall level of depth in the National Football League. If you lose receivers and backs and defensive backs and even edge rushers you can pick up guys off the street who can come in and play and not look awful. You can't on the offensive line such is the paucity of talent.

I think Reich's firing had less to do with him than McCoy wanting to make room for Whisenhut. Somebody had to take the fall for a terrible season. It probably should have been McCoy, but since not, the offensive staff got it. Edited by MDFan

I am pretty lukewarm on the Browns staff. Hue Jackson's claim to fame is going 8-8 with a bad team in Oakland. He did well as an OC in Cincy but inherited an experienced, playoff QB and loaded offensive roster. He will not have that here. I don't dislike it, I'm just not celebrating yet. I feel he is rather unproven. Sure, 8-8 would be an improvement. But then what? He's never been to the playoffs as a HC. He has very little HC experience. As far as Horton, not a fan of him at all. Titans, the worst team in the league, didn't even want him and just let him leave for a lateral move. But still better than Jim O'Neil. Best hire at this point looks like Pep Hamilton. But he was Andrew Luck's OC in college and NFL. Easy to look good with that to work with. Once he didn't have Luck, he didn't look good, and got fired. I don't know anything about Kirby Smart but again he was working with Adrian Peterson. Easy to look good with that. Plus, why didn't the Vikings try to keep him, again this was a lateral move. I am keeping an open mind though and recognize this is a rebuild. Until they find a QB, it is all moot.

I think Reich's firing had less to do with him than McCoy wanting to make room for Whisenhut. Somebody had to take the fall for a terrible season. It probably should have been McCoy, but since not, the offensive staff got it.

The Chargers spent 3 picks, including a 1st rounder, on Melvin Gordon. He had zero TDs and generally looked pretty bad all year. The injury excuse only goes so far. The Chargers had multiple games where they only scored 3 points. That's never acceptable when you have HOF level QB who was setting passing records this year. They couldn't score. Reich isn't a good OC, he is a good QB coach.

Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

I happen to agree with you, but watch out. Them's fightin' words around these parts. Nobody criticizes comeback boy.

And he might well not be. But the circumstances he has been trying to overcome the last two years are significant - the line has been obliterated two years in a row.