Brees Franchised

Thailog80

Not a surprise. They could still trade him to Dallas, like TD did with Peerless.

243506[/snapback]

Wasn't the other Drew going to Dallas? And they won't even have to give anything up for that.

With Brees, it was obvious what San Diego is thinking: Show us you can win again, show us that wasn't a fluke, and you can be the #1 guy.

Not a surprise. They could still trade him to Dallas, like TD did with Peerless.

243506[/snapback]

I think that's what they're going to do. Lock him up, and then trade him. That way they get something for him instead of letting him walk for free.

Wasn't the other Drew going to Dallas? And they won't even have to give anything up for that.

With Brees, it was obvious what San Diego is thinking: Show us you can win again, show us that wasn't a fluke, and you can be the #1 guy.

243547[/snapback]

i dont think so...or else SD would have locked Brees pu long term...i think they are going to trade him, hence the franchise tag...SD has waaaaay too much invested in rivers to keep Brees long term...

I think that's what they're going to do.  Lock him up, and then trade him.  That way they get something for him instead of letting him walk for free.

243581[/snapback]

I also think this is what will happen. I haven't seen the numbers and I don't ever recall a top ten pick being traded a year later, but I have to believe that the cap hit they would take if they traded Rivers would be brutal.

clump...can you help here??

No wonder Vick can find Peerless open.  He was supposed to have gone to Atlanta.  :doh:

243585[/snapback]

My meaning was that TD franchised Peerless and then traded him -- not necessarily to Dallas.

Smart ass. :lol:

i hope every team decides to let the chargers wallow in their own mistake. paying him 8 million, plus the rivers contract, will hamstring their offseason. They will be forced to make a decision late in the game, or trade one of them away for much cheaper than they will now or in or around the draft.

but i think brees will either be in miami, green bay, or dallas, where they have to choose between 3 Drews.

Good Morning to All,

I live in San Diego and the Chargers long term plan is to have Phillip Rivers as the starter in 2006.

The purpose in franchising Brees in 2005 is to maintain a winning team this year while enhanching the trade value of Brees in the 2005 off-season.

While Brees is an excellent QB he does have a limited upside which Rivers can exceed.

Also, there is no value in trading Bree's this year, what could you get? San Francisco, Miami or Clevelands pick in the top three. In this draft who wants it.

Look for the Chargers to make a move and trade Brees after 2005 to a team such as Green Bay.

I also think this is what will happen.  I haven't seen the numbers and I don't ever recall a top ten pick being traded a year later, but I have to believe that the cap hit they would take if they traded  Rivers would be brutal.

clump...can you help here??

243593[/snapback]

i hope every team decides to let the chargers wallow in their own mistake. paying him 8 million, plus the rivers contract, will hamstring their offseason. They will be forced to make a decision late in the game, or trade one of them away for much cheaper than they will now or in or around the draft.

but i think brees will either be in miami, green bay, or dallas, where they have to choose between 3 Drews.

243663[/snapback]

Yep. Along those lines, the B'gals stuck a knife in their own back if they keep Rudi Johnson after franchising him. To the best of my knowledge, Palmer's and Chad Johnson's contracts are already crushing their cap nuts. And WR Houshmanzadeh is a FA, with unanswered questions about the injured Peter Warrick's status.

It wouldn't surprise me if they traded out of round 1 - they did move down in that round last year.

San Diego is crazy if they trade Brees. It has taken them 20 years to find a good QB and they find one who happens to be 26 years old and they trade him? Who the heck knows how Rivers is going to turn out. If anything, trade Rivers for a 1st rounder and eat the cap space (which they have plenty of). If they aren't enamored with their 3 first round picks, trade one or two of them for Orlando Pace or somebody else to fit their fancy.