21 lottery winners who blew it all

TSNBDSC

If you don't understand money and refuse to educate yourself on the topic after getting rich, the amount usually doesn't matter.

But I agree it'll be hard for someone to blow $700MM or whatever the net amount is in the next drawing.

If you don't understand money and refuse to educate yourself on the topic after getting rich, the amount usually doesn't matter.

But I agree it'll be hard for someone to blow $700MM or whatever the net amount is in the next drawing.

Very true. It is easy to blow through any amount, but $1.3B would be a challenge even for the biggest spendthrift.

I would hope I could win just for the simple fact that I would do many of the right things. If it was $700mm after taxes,I would start by asking Chef for a lot of advice. I would set up a few annuities for family, an endowment and a few trusts. One trust would be for that to take care of my family interests. One trust for organizations which I support - animal welfare programs, victims funds, education.

I would allow myself an allowance of $250k a year. That's a lot.

fwiw, the only time I have ever bought tickets for the lottery were scratch offs for coworkers. I played one of them myself after having an extra one - the only time I have spent money on myself for the lottery.

Edited by Boyst62

That's a lot of cocaine, hookers and pet tigers with gold leashes....

If I ever won I like to think it would change me for the better and not worse.

I would immediately hire a lawyer and financial planners, set up trusts, investments etc.. Immediately Pay off all my debt. Quit my job. Then I would like to run a charity. Maybe buy a vacation house. Avoid making major life changes and significant impulse buys. Resist as much temptation as possinle, blackmail and scandals. Make sure my family and very close friends are taken care of and generally live a similar day to day lifestyle I have now. Generally try to keep as low of a profile as possible. Hopefully with less stress. But....mo money mo problems...

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Actually, the payout comes close to 1/3 if you take the lump sum after taxes. So somewhere around 450million.

The only change I would make in my life would be to quit my job... so I can concentrate on the hookers and cocaine.

Even at that number you would have spend over $41K a day for 30 years to be broke.

• 3 weeks later...

Take care of my mom and others that have helped me in the past 1st without telling anyone how i got the $$. Set a yearly allowance for myself, invest in a home to live in a new car and chill out going to a real college with a real plan. With set aside budgets for hookers and party enhancers*.