ESPN: How Ryan Fitzpatrick blew his one shot at Greatness

YoloinOhio

yep, was hoping he would help us out in the draft but Pixpatrick showed up again.

Mario showing up for other teams to check him out.

I'm talking about CB Mario Butler, not Mario Williams.

Can only speak for myself, but there's certainly no "hate" here. I recognize Fitz for what he is, and isn't, and given the past ten years there was no reason to expect he would continue to play at a Pro Bowl level.

In the somewhat modified words of Denny Green, "he is who we thought he was."

The fact that Fitz is such a stand-up dude and loved his time in Buffalo is sentimental for many, but the bottom line is that he failed the Bills consistently in big situations -- and he just failed the Jets in their biggest game in years.

Which makes him one of us. I hope Fitz comes back to WNY after his playing days.

Lets be honest, this was the same Fitzpatrick we saw play for the Bills. He couldn't make the plays when he was a Buffalo Bill and he hasn't changed. I like the guy but not as my QB. The game was lost when he threw the McKelvin pick in the end zone. For a guy as smart and experienced as he is he should never had made that throw. Even Dan Fouts commented he didn't know what Fitzpatrick saw on that play. That play ended the Jets season. That was classic Fitzpatrick.

That one really was all on Fitz.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills (or future members of the Bills) did the Jets not one, but two giant favors this year: (1) IK saved the Jets from a lost season behind Geno Smith; (2) Rex and the Bills saved the Jets from believing that they have a QB they can hitch their wagon to in 2016 and beyond. Fitzy had a nice run, and I felt good for him. But face facts -- they would have been one and done in the playoffs anyways (same is true for the Bills, by the way), so there's no huge disappointment here.

I'm not so sure that a trip to Cincy or Houston would have been an automatic loss for NYJ or Buffalo.

How Ryan Fitzpatrick, career journeyman, blew his one shot at greatness.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14496142

I already responded, but just read this again and caught something I missed the first time. "But Ryan did what he does best -- keep the Jets out of the playoffs -- by persuading his 7-8 Bills to play as if a .500 record really mattered."

Oooooooooooh.

Good read and I feel bad for Fitz. Loved him and wanted to see him succeed- just not at our expense. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets QB competition is an open one heading into next season. They just can't run in place with a QB like Fitz. Everything broke there way this season, yet they still weren't good enough. It will remain the same if they continue to rise Fitz. Although it hasn't been great for us, I'm glad we cut bait and tried to find something better.

The Jets apparently think highly of Petty, but feel he needs more time to learn the pro game, and we know Fitz is a good mentor. Drafting at 20th, any QB they pick is also likely to need some development. And who can they acquire as a FA without breaking the bank and trashing another part of the team (D *cough*) who will be guaranteed better? Do they think Geno will show better judgement on INTs?

My guess is that the Jets honestly don't blame Fitz too much for crumpling at the end. They know they made too many other stupid mistakes - the shanked punt, the stupid penalties for 12 men on the field and the rushed time out for 10 men on the field, Enunwa getting a return of his 'dropsies' at the worst time, their D letting the Bills gain a 2:1 advantage in TOP. He led them to the best record they've had in 5 seasons.

Barring a miracle development at QB, he'll be back.

Edited by Hopeful

I remember reading an interview with a member of the US Women's Soccer Team after they lost to Brazil. Apparently a bunch of the USA women were sitting slumped in the hotel lobby when the Brazil team and their followers came in playing drums and tooting horns and dancing. The USA women looked at each other: "you're going to do this to us now? Really?" As one of them said "I knew right then that I never wanted to feel that way again". And they've been kicking Brazil's butt ever since.

If Fitz turns that feeling of despair into determination, maybe he could still grow. Say what y'all want but to these football eyes, he has clearly taken a couple of steps the last 2 years. And his stats agree with my eyes on it.

I already responded, but just read this again and caught something I missed the first time. "But Ryan did what he does best -- keep the Jets out of the playoffs -- by persuading his 7-8 Bills to play as if a .500 record really mattered."

Oooooooooooh.

The Jets apparently think highly of Petty, but feel he needs more time to learn the pro game, and we know Fitz is a good mentor. Drafting at 20th, any QB they pick is also likely to need some development. And who can they acquire as a FA without breaking the bank and trashing another part of the team (D *cough*) who will be guaranteed better? Do they think Geno will show better judgement on INTs?

My guess is that the Jets honestly don't blame Fitz too much for crumpling at the end. They know they made too many other stupid mistakes - the shanked punt, the stupid penalties for 12 men on the field and the rushed time out for 10 men on the field, Enunwa getting a return of his 'dropsies' at the worst time, their D letting the Bills gain a 2:1 advantage in TOP. He led them to the best record they've had in 5 seasons.

Barring a miracle development at QB, he'll be back.

yep I caught the dig at Rex too. Eh, it's true over the last few years! Plus they are absolutely sick over it, they need to get their digs where they can. Edited by YoloinOhio

On a human level I feel bad for Fitz. As a Bills fan can't say the same is true. He was a broken record playing the same song again and again. Great players rise to greatness in games that count. Fitz is a mediocre player that sometimes plays well in meaningless games. That is the best you get and all you get.

I remember reading an interview with a member of the US Women's Soccer Team after they lost to Brazil. Apparently a bunch of the USA women were sitting slumped in the hotel lobby when the Brazil team and their followers came in playing drums and tooting horns and dancing. The USA women looked at each other: "you're going to do this to us now? Really?" As one of them said "I knew right then that I never wanted to feel that way again". And they've been kicking Brazil's butt ever since.

If Fitz turns that feeling of despair into determination, maybe he could still grow. Say what y'all want but to these football eyes, he has clearly taken a couple of steps the last 2 years. And his stats agree with my eyes on it.

Yeah, he has seemed to have improved, he just can't seem to get it completely right. Maybe its Buffalo. Both games he throws game ending picks. We've got to be in his head. I would love him here as a backup though. Instant confidence in him coming in and putting it all out there if Tyrod ever got hurt. He is certainly a class act. Wish the post bashed the Jets as a team more than just Fitz haha.