The Official "Unofficial" American Idol Thread

OnTheRocks

Funny, I Tivo AmericanIdol and just watch whatever Simon has to say.

1) Singing a song I hate

2) Randy representing every black stereotype he can possilbly remember from the last time he actually hung out with a black person.

3) Paula "It was good, just be careful with song selection and keep on living this dream".

4) Simon. The Truth.

261308[/snapback]

lol

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I Tivo AmericanIdol and just watch whatever Simon has to say.

1) Singing a song I hate

2) Randy representing every black stereotype he can possilbly remember from the last time he actually hung out with a black person.

3) Paula "It was good, just be careful with song selection and keep on living this dream".

4) Simon. The Truth.

261308[/snapback]

Yep. If Simon wasn't on, I wouldn't watch it.

FWIW....

Here's my top 8 power ranking.

I was gonna pick the top 3, but after only one week of actual competition, I'll need to hear a few more performances. You never know how the public will vote. John Stevens had great regional support from WNY last year. His voice is o.k., but he wouldn't crack the top 24 this year.

Scott Savol, David Brown, and Anwar Robinson are all better singers than Anthony Federov, but I think there's a faction of the audience making 'Clay' comparisons and they'll like Federov more.

I think the top 8 will look like this. It'll be a toss up between Mario and Carrie for the top spot, but I think Mario has better stage presence and will edge her out.

1. Mario Vazquez

2. Carrie Underwood

3. Nadia Turner

4. Anthony Federov

5. Aloha Mischeaux

6. Anwar Robinson

7. David Brown

8. Scott Savol

Write it down.

BTW - I think the producers deliberately attempt to sway the voting audience. The first one given the boot, the stunned Melinda Lira, made the statement that the audience didn't know her as she hadn't gotten any face time on the shows leading up to the first week of competition. She was absolutely right. Prior to this week, I can't remember ever seeing her. Several of the other contestants were regularly featured in spots. Every week they make sure to show the freakish, out of control Barbra Streisand-Fran Drescher hybrid, Mikalah Gordon.  She definitely has a TV presence, so they give her plenty of face time. She's a cute kid and all, but I'd have to have her seated at the kids table for Thanksgiving. She could get on my last nerve in no time.

252788[/snapback]

I think Bo Brice has moved into the lead position but he probably won't get the "young" vote as much as some of the others. I was surprised how much the 3 judges slammed Carrie and said what a horrible job she did. I thought she sounded pretty good and they all said she was awful. It was almost as though they were trying to sway the voters into thinking she was bad. A little idol conspiracy theory for you...

I think Bo Brice has moved into the lead position but he probably won't get the "young" vote as much as some of the others.  I was surprised how much the 3 judges slammed Carrie and said what a horrible job she did.  I thought she sounded pretty good and they all said she was awful.  It was almost as though they were trying to sway the voters into thinking she was bad.  A little idol conspiracy theory for you...

261321[/snapback]

I think you also have to keep in mind that dropping a lousy review on some of these folks once in a while - particularly those who could very well win the competition - can serve to validate the show to a degree. If someone is tabbed as 'the next coming' from the beginning and that view is reinforced week after week, where is the growth? I think that part of the appeal of the show (at least for me) is the 'diamond in the rough' aspect. The three judges are there for entertainment, but they also need to give the impression (whether real or imagined) that they are helping to groom and refine these performers into success stories.

So they may hack on Carrie, or Mario, or whomever here and there, even if their performace was still better than most everyone else who sang. If it wasn't this way, you could probably take three people off of TBD (how about AD, Cablelady, and FFS.....no, wait.....FFS would turn each episode into a full-length feature.....let's toss in Stojan instead) and have just as entertaining of a show.

The got rid of one part of the program last night that is a joke.....

<insert name here> you received the lowest number of votes, we told you your song selection sucked, but would you sing it one more time for us before the world never hears from you again!

The got rid of one part of the program last night that is a joke..... 

<insert name here>  you received the lowest number of votes, we told you your song selection sucked, but would you sing it one more time for us before the world never hears from you again!

261486[/snapback]

LOL I agree. Wed's usually suck 'cause you get to hear the worst singers, with bad song choices, sing one last time.

As long as she keeps her mouth shut I agree. But the Fran Drescher "Nanny" voice is irritating. It even comes out when she sings.  :ph34r:

261303[/snapback]

If she makes it to the final 12 when they get more "talk time" the annoying side of her is going to come roaring back. So to save everyone the pain, send her packing next week.

Did the producers of this show tell the judges they HAD TO be nice???

Good grief! Some of these guys sounded terrible and were getting some kind remarks from the judges.

Constantine was HORRIBLE!

If Paula Abdula Mohammed says one of these guys gives her goose bumps one more time i just might puke.

If Paula Abdula Mohammed says one of these guys gives her goose bumps one more time i just might puke.

266375[/snapback]

She always seems to struggle to say anything original. If they eliminated her from the judging, the show wouldn't suffer.

Good grief!  Some of these guys sounded terrible and were getting some kind remarks from the judges.

266375[/snapback]

Constantine singing Sting was A W F U L. I seriously think I could sing almost as out of key as he did...

Bo by far has the best voice...He sounds like a polished pro and I hope he wins it all.....

If she makes it to the final 12 when they get more "talk time" the annoying side of her is going to come roaring back.   So to save everyone the pain, send her packing next week.

261496[/snapback]

Getting rid of her would be terrible. This year, there are VERY few good looking chicks.

Amanda Avila has Jennifer Love Hewitt syndrome (ya know, the one where you are made completely of thin flesh and bones). Facials features protrude to make this type of person look witch-like. She also has a fivehead, like JLH.

Carrie Underwood? More like Carrie BottomHeavy. Girl has no chest, and is very pear shaped.

Jessica Sierra Can you say "Suckering Succotash"? That girl needs some mouth work done. Terrible speech impediment. Drives me nuts.

Lindsey Cardinale Ok, she's hot.

Mikalah Gordon. Yummy. Is her voice annoying? Perhaps. But I could overlook (overlisten?) that.

Vonzell Solomon Smoking Body, but again, a fivehead.

So there. Yes, I'm a judemental prick (before you ask), and yes I am bored at work today.

Constantine singing Sting was A W F U L.  I seriously think I could sing almost as out of key as he did...

Bo by far has the best voice...He sounds like a polished pro and I hope he wins it all.....

266405[/snapback]

i gotta agree with your post. i don't know why people, including two of the judges, think that contantine kid has any sort of talent. he is terrible. he seems like he stages every move and every "cool rock n roll" inflections when he sings. it is literally comical watching him perform.

that bo bice is the real deal. i end up watching this show often enough and have been really impressed with him. unlike the other kid, bice really seems genuine when he sings and does such a good job. he is BY FAR the most polished of the guys but he probably won't win based on the peolpe's vote.

i'd be surprised though if bice doesn't have really successful career after AI.

Good grief!  Some of these guys sounded terrible and were getting some kind remarks from the judges.

266375[/snapback]

I totally agree about Constantine......I have a fear he's got a pretty strong female following though......but he definitely should be cut this week.

I thought Anwar, Niko, and the Clay-clone all raised their stock last night. Also thought Bo continued to solidify his spot.

Mario's performance was pretty damn good, too......but part of that was because I love the BeeGees tune he sang.

that bo bice is the real deal.  i end up watching this show often enough and have been really impressed with him.  unlike the other kid, bice really seems genuine when he sings and does such a good job.  he is BY FAR the most polished of the guys but he probably won't win based on the peolpe's vote.

266445[/snapback]

I agree that Bo Bice is VERY good. But as far as pure singing talent and understanding of music, Anwar is head and shoulders above everyone. He is technichally flawless.

I wonder if his rendition of "Its a Wonderfull World" was his own arrangement. I doubt that it was, but I had never heard that arrangement.

i gotta agree with your post.  i don't know why people, including two of the judges, think that contantine kid has any sort of talent.  he is terrible.  he seems like he stages every move and every "cool rock n roll" inflections when he sings.  it is literally comical watching him perform.

that bo bice is the real deal.  i end up watching this show often enough and have been really impressed with him.  unlike the other kid, bice really seems genuine when he sings and does such a good job.  he is BY FAR the most polished of the guys but he probably won't win based on the peolpe's vote.

266445[/snapback]

Bice is at the top, but everyone is overlooking Anwar! He's my pick to win the whole thing.

I agree that Bo Bice is VERY good. But as far as pure singing talent and understanding of music, Anwar is head and shoulders above everyone. He is technichally flawless.

I wonder if his rendition of "Its a Wonderfull World" was his own arrangement. I doubt that it was, but I had never heard that arrangement.

266453[/snapback]

Anwar brought it last night, man.......dude has a cannon for a voice

Anwar brought it last night, man.......dude has a cannon for a voice

266455[/snapback]

What's great about him is his understanding of music. HE does not insert superfulous "runs" in the middle of a song - and he understands tempo, volume, and inflection. HE must be a great music teacher because his understanding of music really shows.

I mean the last two nights he sang "Moon River" and "Its a WOnderful WOrld." And he sang them in a way that was original and flawless. I wonder how many of the young contestents even heard of those songs, much less how to sing them.

What's great about him is his understanding of music. HE does not insert superfulous "runs" in the middle of a song - and he understands tempo, volume, and inflection. HE must be a great music teacher because his understanding of music really shows.

I mean the last two nights he sang "Moon River" and "Its a WOnderful WOrld." And he sang them in a way that was original and flawless. I wonder how many of the young contestents even heard of those songs, much less how to sing them.

266458[/snapback]

I agree.....I honestly wasn't all that impressed by his voice the first couple times I heard him, but the guy is talented. I hope he continues to open it up like he did last night.....helluva performance.