NFL tackling: the Seahawks way

Fixxxer

My buddy's idea is to outlaw all kinds of tackling except a proper wrap-up tackle.

His view is that such a rule would also assist in significantly minimizing concussions.

It's heading that way.

The only way to bring the head trauma down is to take the *hitting* out of the game.

All well and good until you see the kid from Nebraska ejected for making perfect tackle in a Bowl game.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nebraska+bowl+game+ejection&view=detail&mid=7F68C809A484713925727F68C809A48471392572&FORM=VIRE2

I bet even the UCLA coach shows this tackle during Spring ball as one of the better examples of proper tackling technique.

To be honest, I was a wrestler through high school and college. These rugby tackles, especially the hot tackles are double legs and single legs. I used the same principles as a walk-on OLB in a semi-pro league. I've always had a "healthy" fear of breaking my neck, and we taught single leg and double leg moves specifically to prevent neck injury, so when I played football, I tackled like I wrestled. Squared up its a little tougher but you can still hit at a high speed and squirt your body under most of the force, naturally falling of shoulders, to hip, to legs (where you're going to trip them up the best anyway).

Top it off with the fact that an arm wrapping around and dislodging the ball is a more effective way of getting a turnover than trying to land a big hit and you wonder what the players are thinking.

For the current generation of players, I believe the "big hit" school of tackling has been accepted or even encouraged/taught since HS (or even before)

At this point they aren't thinking, they're just reacting unless they are drilled and drilled and double-dog drilled to do something else.

Here's the strange thing. I really noticed the hitting in the Colts game. I was like "wow, big improvement, must be great coaching." Then ....pfffft...it disappeared.

To be honest, although most NFL players are great physical specimens, their mental capacity is a whole 'nother ball of wax. IOW, they're not what you would call "smart." LOL

How many NFL players have you met to draw that conclusion?

It's heading that way.

The only way to bring the head trauma down is to take the *hitting* out of the game.

Big hits I'd miss like I miss smoking on airplanes. Look, big hits are exciting but I don't think it's why most fans watch, you watch for the game. It's not even a great sport to see hitting anyway. That's why we have UFC and boxing and those aren't going anywhere.

I don't know about you, but I'm all for everything that can prevent the other team from scoring TDs and/or our guys getting hurt, but that's just me.

+1 It's not like Seattle was out there setting new records for defensive futility while implementing this tackling technique. Their D was taking over the League. This is effective and safe - something every team should implement, at every level of football.

Edited by dulles

All well and good until you see the kid from Nebraska ejected for making perfect tackle in a Bowl game.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nebraska+bowl+game+ejection&view=detail&mid=7F68C809A484713925727F68C809A48471392572&FORM=VIRE2

I bet even the UCLA coach shows this tackle during Spring ball as one of the better examples of proper tackling technique.

UCLA doesnt even have a training table or a nutritionist

Something that has been bothering the last couple of years while watching the NFL is the low level of tackling expertise there is in the league. You see guys still trying to make the hightlight reels by trying to hit the opposition with their shoulders or even worse, with their heads.

It's also amazing how bad is the awareness of the tackler in certain situations. Go back to our game against the Texans and I remember Gilmore launching sideways (not even with his shoulder) and bouncing off of Chris Polk, who travels 5 yards for a TD. Had he used his arms to wrap up the tackler he would have avoided getting hit (he avoided injury there) and the TD.

Here is the play.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015120601/2015/REG13/texans@bills#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000594916&tab=videos

A couple of weeks later Gilmore's year ends with a shoulder injury for not using the proper tackling technique.

Here is a video featuring Rocky Seto, the Seahawks assistant to the HC and defensive coach. showing how they implemented the rugby tackle in their defensive approach.

Please foward this to OBD and Rex Ryan.

with teams not going live or ever practice tackling anymore, terrible tackling is to be expected