Injuries are the #1 thing that derailed this season, Mario 2

TheFunPolice

As Bill, Mario has been consistently in double digits sacks. His sack total went up every year. He is down 10 sacks this year from last year. He was a top 2 DE in the NFL until this year.

He has been extremely consistent as a Bill.

Agree 100%. It's more disappointing because I considered Rex a top defensive coach & I never thought that about Marrone and offense.

What does any of this have to do with the non-performance he's cashed-in in 2015? I could dispute what you've said about him, but what you've said has nothing to do with what he's done this year. He couldn't even muster an assisted tackle Sunday, in a win, with the opposition only scoring 6 points. If you're a top 2 DE...top 5 DE...top 20 DE, that never happens.

Sounds like a pretty good DC. How is he as an HC?

Rex's record as a HC in New York was woefully impacted by his inability to field a competent offense. Would you agree with this point? And if yes, do you see the same thing happening here? And if not, why do you have no faith that he'll do what he has done on defense?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does any of this have to do with the non-performance he's cashed-in in 2015? I could dispute what you've said about him, but what you've said has nothing to do with what he's done this year. He couldn't even muster an assisted tackle Sunday, in a win, with the opposition only scoring 6 points. If you're a top 2 DE...top 5 DE...top 20 DE, that never happens.

Rex's record as a HC in New York was woefully impacted by his inability to field a competent offense. Would you agree with this point? And if yes, do you see the same thing happening here? And if not, why do you have no faith that he'll do what he has done on defense?

I've explained this 100 times.

i remember the Bills torching Rex's defense twice last year. Once they did it without even practicing.

Mario Williams when Wade Phillips took over in Houston as DC and asked Mario to play OLBer instead of a DE in a 4-3 scheme his play also dropped off badly. Texan fans were glad he was gone until Mike Pettine, Jim Schwartz figured out how to utilize a great pass rusher.

There is a real reason the man was coveted by Bills fans and then given 100 million dollars to play DE in Buffalo. Then Dave Wannstedt proved it isn't always successful to just line him up over an OT and then not blitz.

The Buffalo Bills have a quarter billion dollars invested in their defensive line and hired a head coach / DC who has no clue how to best utilize them. Welcome back Dave Wannstedt! Oh, Wait! At least ole Dave managed 37 sacks in his season as DC. Currently, the 2015 Buffalo Bills have only 20 sacks. :sick: ... :bag: ... :thumbdown: ... :wallbash:

So as bad as Wannstedt was he was 17 sacks better than Wrecks Ryan!! How anyone can keep defending this coach is beyond me :lol:

Edited by Nihilarian

i remember the Bills torching Rex's defense twice last year. Once they did it without even practicing.

You do? :w00t:

I remember the entire fanbase being apoplectic for the offense doing jack **** in the first matchup because they were playing with a lead...that was given to them by SIX TURNOVERS, three of which happened on the first four possessions.

Sammy had two long catches in that game that accounted for 145 of their net 210 yards. THAT'S A TORCHING!?

You can't make your point by just making **** up.

Mario Williams when Wade Phillips took over in Houston as DC and asked Mario to play OLBer instead of a DE in a 4-3 scheme his play also dropped off badly. Texan fans were glad he was gone until Mike Pettine, Jim Schwartz figured out how to utilize a great pass rusher.

There is a real reason the man was coveted by Bills fans and then given 100 million dollars to play DE in Buffalo. Then Dave Wannstedt proved it isn't always successful to just line him up over an OT and then not blitz.

The Buffalo Bills have a quarter billion dollars invested in their defensive line and hired a head coach / DC who has no clue how to best utilize them. Welcome back Dave Wannstedt! Oh, Wait! At least ole Dave managed 37 sacks in his season as DC. Currently, the 2015 Buffalo Bills have only 20 sacks. :sick: ... :bag: ... :thumbdown: ... :wallbash:

So as bad as Wannstedt was he was 17 sacks better than Wrecks Ryan!! How anyone can keep defending this coach is beyond me :lol:

Mario played in just 5 games under Wade and averaged a sack a game.

You do? :w00t:

I remember the entire fanbase being apoplectic for the offense doing jack **** in the first matchup because they were playing with a lead...that was given to them by SIX TURNOVERS, three of which happened on the first four possessions.

Sammy had two long catches in that game that accounted for 145 of their net 210 yards. THAT'S A TORCHING!?

You can't make your point by just making **** up.

The guy covering Sammy called. He just got out of the burn unit.

Why did you leave out the game in Detroit? Why did you leave out the Jets defensive stats/rankings last year and the year before? Because you want to remember a Chevette as if it were a Mercedes?

I want Rex to succeed as much as you do, but I look at the past performances and I'm concerned. I bought into the theory that it was the last 2 GMs and owners fault in NY. I guess not.

You seem to think by dumping a #1 overall pick and calling Preston Brown a dummy we will get better. I tend to doubt that will work.

The guy covering Sammy called. He just got out of the burn unit.

Why did you leave out the game in Detroit? Why did you leave out the Jets defensive stats/rankings last year and the year before? Because you want to remember a Chevette as if it were a Mercedes?

I want Rex to succeed as much as you do, but I look at the past performances and I'm concerned. I bought into the theory that it was the last 2 GMs and owners fault in NY. I guess not.

You seem to think by dumping a #1 overall pick and calling Preston Brown a dummy we will get better. I tend to doubt that will work.

And as we already talked about, both 2014 Jets CB's are out of a job...for a reason. I brought it up to call BS on the point you made by making **** up. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

Mario played in just 5 games under Wade and averaged a sack a game.

OK, I'll give ya that. What I should have said was that Mario was considered an underachiever with the Texan's and a lot of their fans were glad to see him gone.

"Hard to believe now, but there was a time not too long ago when Texan fans openly debated the appropriate amount for the Texans to allocate this past offseason to re-sign defensive end/outside linebacker/chronic underachiever Mario Williams."

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/buffalo-bills-fans-tweet-their-hatred-for-mario-williams-6715443

"However, nagging injuries and a coaching staff that acknowledged that his work ethic left something to be desired earned him a reputation as an underachiever in Houston."

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/11/top-6-former-texans-wed-like-to-see-fail/

And as we already talked about, both 2014 Jets CB's are out of a job...for a reason. I brought it up to call BS on the point you made by making **** up. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

Rex was given an all star team this year and decided to mess with it, despite saying that he would not. In game 2 of the season his "it's all about Rex" gene kicked in. That experiment failed and cost this fan base its first trip to the playoffs in many years. 75% of last year's defense has us already in the playoffs and teams hoping not to play us. I hope to be wrong but I do not see a single sign the defense will be playoff caliber next year. And I don't imagine we'l improve by cutting one of the most talented defenders in the NFL.

I hope that no matter what Rex has to work with, the freshman team from Orchard Park HS or the entire Pro Bowl roster or whatever, he makes it work and we make the playoffs next year. Can you spell your vision for how you see that happening? Because I can't see it happening no matter how much I squint. What I can see happening is one or two good games and Rex really pumping his fist with excitement as we wind our way to a 23rd ranked defense that had 2 good games and a team with a 6 to 8 win season.

This is a bizarre point. You're comparing apples and oranges, but you're not even giving the oranges a fair crack.

Eliminating this season, with both guys having 10 years in the league, Rex Ryan had top-10 defenses every year but one. And they were 11 that year.

I think we're talking about Rex's ability to coach a defense in this discussion, so let's not ignore the consistent success he's had. Mario Williams has been many things, consistent isn't among them.

i'm trying to put this in to the right words and have failed because i've been rather aloof with everyfrackingthing. (i am off a week and wanted to get a lot done on the farm and such. the weather has been nothing but rain for weeks - it's too wet to do a damn thing)

Rex Ryan as a defensive coordinator > Rex Ryan as a head coach.

Rex Ryan as a head coach cannot do one or a combination of the following:

1) instruct his defensive scheme

2) cannot run his defense without specialty players

c) does not have what it takes to succeed in this league anymore/outdated.

d) struggling to adapt to a new team

5) struggling to adapt to injury

f) has the wrong coordinators

Rex Ryan needs more time to truly be judged but based upon what I have seen I do not want to give him more time based upon what I saw in New York.

Nate Hackett > Rex Ryan?

Rex was given an all star team this year and decided to mess with it, despite saying that he would not. In game 2 of the season his "it's all about Rex" gene kicked in. That experiment failed and cost this fan base its first trip to the playoffs in many years. 75% of last year's defense has us already in the playoffs and teams hoping not to play us. I hope to be wrong but I do not see a single sign the defense will be playoff caliber next year. And I don't imagine we'l improve by cutting one of the most talented defenders in the NFL.

I hope that no matter what Rex has to work with, the freshman team from Orchard Park HS or the entire Pro Bowl roster or whatever, he makes it work and we make the playoffs next year. Can you spell your vision for how you see that happening? Because I can't see it happening no matter how much I squint. What I can see happening is one or two good games and Rex really pumping his fist with excitement as we wind our way to a 23rd ranked defense that had 2 good games and a team with a 6 to 8 win season.

Last year's defense missed 13 starts. They've tripled that this year and Spikes isn't around to hide how terrible Brown is when he gets too close to the LOS. It's not the same team. And when the team was bought in, Rex's scheme has worked this year.

I agree and can't help escape the feeling that Ryan is laughing all the way to the bank with 25 million over five years. Cut the man and he just might bleed green and white while being ecstatic that he was able to ruin the defense that embarrassed him 2x in NY last year.

I honestly can't figure out how a man that used to blitz 50% to 35% of the time and got a huge reputation for running his overload blitz scheme against everybody went to a scheme in which he blitzes less than 10% of the time.

To quote Ryan, "I'll bring everybody known to man against you"! Except that he didn't blitz hardly at all this year with the team that led the league in sacks last year.

i'm trying to put this in to the right words and have failed because i've been rather aloof with everyfrackingthing. (i am off a week and wanted to get a lot done on the farm and such. the weather has been nothing but rain for weeks - it's too wet to do a damn thing)

Rex Ryan as a defensive coordinator > Rex Ryan as a head coach.

Rex Ryan as a head coach cannot do one or a combination of the following:

1) instruct his defensive scheme

2) cannot run his defense without specialty players

c) does not have what it takes to succeed in this league anymore/outdated.

d) struggling to adapt to a new team

5) struggling to adapt to injury

f) has the wrong coordinators

Rex Ryan needs more time to truly be judged but based upon what I have seen I do not want to give him more time based upon what I saw in New York.

Nate Hackett > Rex Ryan?

I don't agree with a lot of what you've said. But I have a hard time evaluating Rex the HC without thinking of the comedy of errors that Sanchez/Geno/Vick were for his offenses and that by hiring Greg Roman and by getting his boy Tyrod, he seems to have learned from those mistakes.

I think the other points you've made about his defenses are backwards compatible to make your point and really not that applicable to the flashes of "getting it" we saw this year nor what we've seen from him in years-past, which apparent this fanbase can't agree on.

Also, i don't think that him having his guys is as critique-worthy as it's made out to be.

Last year's defense missed 13 starts. They've tripled that this year and Spikes isn't around to hide how terrible Brown is when he gets too close to the LOS. It's not the same team. And when the team was bought in, Rex's scheme has worked this year.

By scheme do you mean nefarious plan to take us from first to last in sacks? If so I agree.

I'll repeat my question: Do you see a conceivable path forward for 2016 that has a defense run by Rex which gets us to the playoffs? What needs to happen?

By scheme do you mean nefarious plan to take us from first to last in sacks? If so I agree.

I'll repeat my question: Do you see a conceivable path forward for 2016 that has a defense run by Rex which gets us to the playoffs? What needs to happen?

Yes.

Personnel upgrades that I trust Whaley to make, but none more important that S and LB's.

There will be injuries again next year....and the year after that....and the year after that.

Not like this year. I don't ever remember a year where the a team has been hit so hard (Starters missing several games, backups to the starters missing several games). Team never had a chance to gel. That is by no means the only reason the Bills have missed the playoff's this year. But I would have loved to see what would have happend if they had a normal amount of injuries.

92% of snaps and not a single stat recorded. Is he good or isn't he? Because good players at the very least find a way to get an assisted tackle. That was too tall of an order for Mario. How you can say it's the system and not him, I'll never know.

I guess you can argue it's the system, since Mario clearly doesn't like it. But it's Mario's choice to play like a worthless ass.

Didn't Mario miss a game and parts of some due to a foot injury or something? Guy has been playing hurt and in a system that minimizes his skills. Yeah, have Mario in coverage on passing downs. What did Jim Kelly say about that?n Rex is problem, not our talent on defense. I can't think of one Defensive lineman or Lb who had better stats with Rex than with Pettine or Shwartz..... Wonder why?

I agree the Defense let the team down this year. But Rex has a proven track record of building a top defense. Coaches just don't suck because they start coaching in WNY. Rex missed badly with these players. They will have to go out and get guys who can fit into his scheme and keep the players who can adapt. If after next season the Defense stil ranks near the bottom of the NFL. That will be a problem.