JP studying film like a madman

Thailog80

per MM of NFL network.

:huh:

242639[/snapback]

Film study is great, I just hope he's able to take what he learns on the field.

My one worry right now is his happy feet. I want to see him move around and throw, not move around and run.

Film study is great, I just hope he's able to take what he learns on the field. 

My one worry right now is his happy feet.  I want to see him move around and throw, not move around and run.

242656[/snapback]

I just will be happy to see a QB that can move around.....period! :huh:

I hope he has been studying film for a long time and virtually right from the start in his career. The injury really gave him an inpredented opportunity to sit in the booth during games and soak up the knowledge and wisdom of Sam Wyche. If instead he used this time to sit on the sidelines during games unable to play because of his fracture amd merely yucked it up with the other athletes who were inactive he missed a key opportunity in his development.

Perhaps one of the most troubling things I heard from him this season was when he was thrown into the NE game (which truly demonstrated the value of off the field stuff to playing well on the field) was when he said that his poor performance had taught him to take the off field stuff more seriously. What! He didn't take it seriously before?

Look its OK for fans like ICE to blather on that only way to learn the game is by starting (as though you learn nothing by playing and that there are other ways to play than by starting), but an actual athlete needs to know and operate with the sense that anytime you put on the uniform you have to be ready to play (unless you are Billy Joe Hobert) and that because of his mechanical issues, practice and repetition are central to his development and like almost all rookies, the film room and the playbook are central to his development as well. Sheesh.

The fact that he was first of the Bills to show up in the off-season is a great sign. The improvement in his production from the NE debacle, to the delay of game penalty when he came in the next time but led to his successfully leading the team to a TD by handing off to WM, to his final very good mop-up performance where he did call a clock-stopping TO, but at least he avioded the dumb penalty as he led the team to a TD where he even complete a couple of passes and converted a third down are good signs for the future.

However, the two things which strike me as key to a successful 2005 with JP is that 1. we do not depend on him to be Joe Montana and he hands the ball off as much as possible (he will certainly need to pass and to go deep sometimes, but I see these primarily as changes of pace to make the run work even better) and, 2: to have a credible plan B as our back-up QB in case the unfortunate happens and he cannot play.

IF JP never throws the ball more than 25 times in a game this season and usually he is below 20 passes I will be one happy camper about our QB play.

I don't care if his feet can whistle and do card tricks better than Jon Dorenbros (sp?).

Maybe he'll be sacked fewer than ten times a game.

242678[/snapback]

Once WM was put in as the starter, DB was sacked just as frequently as Tom Brady (ie: average of slightly over 1 per game).

Check the stats.

CW

Once WM was put in as the starter, DB was sacked just as frequently as Tom Brady (ie: average of slightly over 1 per game).

Check the stats.

CW

242706[/snapback]

It's just too bad he can't read a defense like Brady or throw accurately and on time as consistantly. End of comparison.

It's just too bad he can't read a defense like Brady or throw accurately and on time as consistantly.  End of comparison.

242710[/snapback]

I wasn't comparing the two; just pointing out that people who think DB was sacked every other play are, in a word, wrong.

CW

I get visions of JPL being locked in a deph perception chamber....shackled to a chair.....being fed intraveniously so he doesn't need food.....and those cool 3 D googles piping film into his brain non stop......

242953[/snapback]

similar to that scene in the Orange clockwork? That should do it.

I get visions of JPL being locked in a deph perception chamber....shackled to a chair.....being fed intraveniously so he doesn't need food.....and those cool 3 D googles piping film into his brain non stop......

242953[/snapback]

as a demented Sam Wyche "MUUUUAHAHAHAHAH's" in the background

242953[/snapback]

I think a better example would be a Matrix-esque situation where Wyche is loading the playbook and every possible defensive scheme into his brain, so he just knows what to do like that.

I just will be happy to see a QB that can move around.....period! :)

242673[/snapback]

That, in and of itself, would be a nice chnage of pace from we've had. However, everything else at this point is very uncertain at best.

I hope he has been studying film for a long time and virtually right from the start in his career.  The injury really gave him an inpredented opportunity to sit in the booth during games and soak up the knowledge and wisdom of Sam Wyche.  If instead he used this time to sit on the sidelines during games unable to play because of his fracture amd merely yucked it up with the other athletes who were inactive he missed a key opportunity in his development.

Perhaps one of the most troubling things I heard from him this season was when he was thrown into the NE game (which truly demonstrated the value of off the field stuff to playing well on the field) was when he said that his poor performance had taught him to take the off field stuff more seriously.  What! He didn't take it seriously before?

Look its OK for fans like ICE to blather on that only way to learn the game is by starting (as though you learn nothing by playing and that there are other ways to play than by starting), but an actual athlete needs to know and operate with the sense that anytime you put on the uniform you have to be ready to play (unless you are Billy Joe Hobert) and that because of his mechanical issues, practice and repetition are central to his development and like almost all rookies, the film room and the playbook are central to his development as well.  Sheesh.

The fact that he was first of the Bills to show up in the off-season is a great sign.  The improvement in his production from the NE debacle, to the delay of game penalty when he came in the next time but led to his successfully leading the team to a TD by handing off to WM, to his final very good mop-up performance where he did call a clock-stopping TO, but at least he avioded the dumb penalty as he led the team to a TD where he even complete a couple of passes and converted a third down are good signs for the future.

However, the two things which strike me as key to a successful 2005 with JP is that 1. we do not depend on him to be Joe Montana and he hands the ball off as much as possible (he will certainly need to pass and to go deep sometimes, but I see these primarily as changes of pace to make the run work even better) and, 2: to have a credible plan B as our back-up QB in case the unfortunate happens and he cannot play.

IF JP never throws the ball more than 25 times in a game this season and usually he is below 20 passes I will be one happy camper about our QB play.

242701[/snapback]

25 times a game? Below 20 times a game? Did we somehow suddenly gain the Cowboys line of the early to mid 90's? If the running game is working, great, but all too often as we all saw this year, and in past ones as well, there will be times the QB needs to be able to step up and make the game deciding plays. Bledsoe frequently did just this, but sadly they were far too often of the type that ended the Bills-Pats early season game, or the turnovers he had in the Pittsburgh game. We need Losman to be able to win a few or we'll be no better or maybe even worse off. We need Losman to be able to make other teams "respect" the pass from us, which the past few years, teams didn't. Only thing for certain in this fan's eyes is that Losman will be better in the short game than Bledsoe was. Drew simply sucked with screens, swings, etc.