Has Doug Whaley built the greatest 5-6 team of all time?

Whaley's done a great job if you don't count finding a good QB and spending boatloads of cash on defensive players in a league where offense rules.

It's that kind of thinking against the grain that produces consistent 6-8 win seasons, which is where the Bills have been for most of the past decade.

The offense is improved from a team that went 9-7 last season. The defense is largely the same group. They brought in a guy who was supposed to make the defense even better. You tell me.

He has built a 5-6 team that has the talent of a 5-6 team. The problem with uber fans is that the fall in love with the players. For example, minus A. Williams and Graham, our safeties would be on the practice squad of most teams. And considering that A. Williams is trending to miss more games than not in his career, you basically have to consider those safeties starters. Another example, Charles Clay is an above average tight end, but definitely not a superstar that is shown on his paycheck.

​On a high percentage of running plays, the RB is having to dodge defenders in the backfield. Our offensive line is average at best.

​It seems like after the D line got paid, they took their feet off the gas.

Taylor is a 6th round draft pick from a mediocre football program (Virgina Tech), who has been on the bench for 4 seasons. What else did you expect?

He has built a 5-6 team that has the talent of a 5-6 team. The problem with uber fans is that the fall in love with the players. For example, minus A. Williams and Graham, our safeties would be on the practice squad of most teams. And considering that A. Williams is trending to miss more games than not in his career, you basically have to consider those safeties starters. Another example, Charles Clay is an above average tight end, but definitely not a superstar that is shown on his paycheck.

​On a high percentage of running plays, the RB is having to dodge defenders in the backfield. Our offensive line is average at best.

​It seems like after the D line got paid, they took their feet off the gas.

Taylor is a 6th round draft pick from a mediocre football program (Virgina Tech), who has been on the bench for 4 seasons. What else did you expect?

I can't believe "fans" don't see this. It was obvious even before the season started they were a 9-7 team at best.

The offense is improved from a team that went 9-7 last season. The defense is largely the same group. They brought in a guy who was supposed to make the defense even better. You tell me.

The W-L column hasn't improved noticeably despite all the money spent on that offense. We expected the team to improve offensively in 2015 because they acquired McCoy, Clay, and added people on the OL.

The defense, as Tim Graham pointed out weeks ago, is hard to maintain for 2-3 years at a top level. Guys get old, players are hurt, and suddenly they're not elite, though I'm not sure they ever were outside of sack numbers.

And always right.

about what?

Whaley's done a great job if you don't count finding a good QB and spending boatloads of cash on defensive players in a league where offense rules.

It's that kind of thinking against the grain that produces consistent 6-8 win seasons, which is where the Bills have been for most of the past decade.

It worked for Seattle

I can't believe "fans" don't see this. It was obvious even before the season started they were a 9-7 team at best.

I am always the first to say that teams overvalue their own players. However, I think you're taking this too far in the other direction. More than one outlet prior to the season cited the Bills as having the 1st or 2nd best roster aside from the QB position in the NFL. And the production we have gotten from the QB position has wildly exceeded expectations. Their record is worse than their talent.

The problem isn't Whaley, or Tyrod, or Watkins. It's coaches that misuse their players. They don't throw to their best receiver. They don't use their pass rushers to rush the passer. Instead they put them into coverage. They take their north-south runners and run them east-west. Our coaches outcoach themselves.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Ya think?

A combination of Whaley and this roster is MASSIVELY overrated by the casual fanbase and they are taking it out on Rex.

Essentially the same cast

2013: 21.2 pts/gm allowed, 3.5 sacks/gm, 10th in yards allowed

2014: 21.4 pts/gm allowed, 3.4 sacks/gm, 4th in yards allowed

2015: 24.2 pts/gm allowed, 1.4 sacks/gm, 19th yards allowed

Denensive mastermind my a$$.

Mario and Kyle in coverage? Dareus a space eating NT?

He Rex a good defensive roster. He Rex your teams chance for a post season and he Rex the teams personna by flapping his gums without backing it up. At least they got the name right.