I am wondering if the bills end up overdrafting a QB but 2nd

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My issue with the idea of "If the Bills would have drafted XYZ, we'd have made the playoffs!" is assuming we'd develop the QB just as well. Wilson, Tannehill, Dalton, etc would have flamed out here because we've had TERRIBLE coaching staffs over the years, especially with how we've developed QBs.

I think the current staff is better for developing QBs. Hell, I even see improvements from EJ (yes even with the pants shitting for 5 mins against Jax), and Taylor is certainly better than anyone would have expected. But in the past? I doubt it would have mattered unless we drafted a Peyton Manning.

My issue with the idea of "If the Bills would have drafted XYZ, we'd have made the playoffs!" is assuming we'd develop the QB just as well. Wilson, Tannehill, Dalton, etc would have flamed out here because we've had TERRIBLE coaching staffs over the years, especially with how we've developed QBs.

I think the current staff is better for developing QBs. Hell, I even see improvements from EJ (yes even with the pants shitting for 5 mins against Jax), and Taylor is certainly better than anyone would have expected. But in the past? I doubt it would have mattered unless we drafted a Peyton Manning.

They would not have flamed out. Both Wilson and Dalton won the job outright after being drafted. They didn't sit for 3 years. Some guys just take steps, and other guys don't.

One minor point on your first line - we have 4. Eric Wood was a first round pick as well. Not that it makes any difference but just for accuracy.

We are going to have to agree to disagree I am afraid. I understand you point about first round picks - where I struggle to follow your argument is why that means just picking at QB in the first every year is the right strategy. I think there is a leap in logic somewhere there. I don't think accepting (which by and large I do) your argument about the importance and the additional longevity of the position necessarily brings me to the same conclusion you come to. To me your argument still comes down to "we don't really trust ourselves to talent evaluate properly so therefore we will just throw one at the wall every year and see what sticks."

Where we are in agreement, at least I think we are, is that the Bills have to take a QB early this year. I am saying first or second you would take one in the first every year.

Eric Wood wasn't the Bills first pick, that was Aaron Maybin.

That pick was acquired in trade for an All Pro LT.......who was undrafted.

It's rare to get a HOF type player like Peters as a UDFA but it truly underscores my point.

As for the "leap in logic"....... consider the idea that the QB position is too important to let your personnel departments ego get in the way on draft day.

There have been plenty of otherwise great personnel men who thought for sure that they had picked franchise QB's and turned out to be dead wrong.

And I will add this as well........when your team is QB-centric and you don't get good QB play.....you don't finish 7-9.....which is comfortably out of range of getting an elite QB prospect in most drafts.

You finish last because you don't have Dareus, Watkins and Gilmore to help you eek out a couple close victories against other bad teams.

People don't want to hear it but drafting like you don't have a QB problem only pans out if you get lucky and find a star QB outside of round 1.

Unfortunately history tells us that most franchise QB's come from round 1......so while the 1st round bust rate may be high......trying to find one outside of round 1 is more difficult.

Drafting like you don't have a QB problem ignores the reality of the NFL......which is that you can only win consistently with good QB play and that it is nearly impossible to keep a great roster together because of the salary cap.

If you do that then my plan is a far better one. It comes down to talent evaluation first and last. I will grant you that the Bills have not done a good job of that and did not, as I am advocating, defer to Quarterback when there is any doubt.

There is a reason no NFL team has taken your first round pick every year until you hit approach and it is not because you are cleverer than all 32 existing GMs and all those that have gone before. It is because whilst a Quarterback is by far the most important piece you need other good players on a football team to be successful.

While I partially agree with that statement to a point because it does come down to evaluating the talent. It also comes down to finding the right guy to fit the system you are running, or for the most part the typical prototype pocket passing QB.

Some teams want a west coast type, or one that can run the spread, pistol or option. Look what happened this year when you take a prolific pro in Peyton Manning and put him into a play action offense over his shotgun fast read scheme. It doesn't work very well, and can take time to learn to play differently.

Its also important to pick the right GM first! Who then picks the right head coach, and if you don't have those two it really doesn't matter who you draft at QB because they probably won't succeed. An example might be Pagano vs Arians

Exactly! The Bills haven't had a quality head coach since Marv Levy, Wade Phillips, and just because the team is paying Rex Ryan 5 mill per it doesn't make him a quality hire.

However, if you look at Colin Kaepernick he started to stink while Roman was still the 49ers OC. So, while Greg Roman might have the ability to build an excellent running attack (provided he has the talent at RB, and on the line) he looks to leave something to be desired in the passing game.

Why can't Tyrod Taylor throw more often to Sammy Watkins? That's like obtaining McCoy, and then handing the ball off most of the game to Boobie Dixon. Constantly using Watkins as a decoy is simply lame when you have a player with that much talent, and choose to throw to Chris Hogan more often instead. Also, why does Taylor have a problem throwing over the middle, or why is he avoiding doing it?