the Devil's Advocate - why cut him?

Coach Tuesday

I'm really arguing with myself here (which is very ICE-esq, I suppose), but I have to wonder: why cut Drew? why even tell him he's being demoted? why not go into camp with an "open" competition, making Drew think he has a chance to win the job, then name Losman the starter right before the season starts? then, at least, you have an experienced backup QB. Drew's under contract, IMO it's not worth cutting him just to do him a favor... the team should come first. Perhaps there is something else going on, I don't know - it just doesn't make sense to me. The guy signed a contract. You get almost no cap relief by releasing him - might as well force him to be a backup, it's not like he's known for creating QB controversies. Also, now JP is gonna think the job is his and he doesn't have to win it.

Hmm....

EDIT: Nevermind, something Rico said triggered the answer for me: Drew simply threatened to retire if he was forced to stay as the backup.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really arguing with myself here (which is very ICE-esq, I suppose), but I have to wonder:  why cut Drew?  why even tell him he's being demoted?  why not go into camp with an "open" competition, making Drew think he has a chance to win the job, then name Losman the starter right before the season starts?  then, at least, you have an experienced backup QB.  Drew's under contract, IMO it's not worth cutting him just to do him a favor... the team should come first.  Perhaps there is something else going on, I don't know - it just doesn't make sense to me.  The guy signed a contract.  You get almost no cap relief by releasing him - might as well force him to be a backup, it's not like he's known for creating QB controversies.  Also, now JP is gonna think the job is his and he doesn't have to win it.

Hmm....

240784[/snapback]

there is his $1M roster bonus on March 1st.

TD may have given DB the option to take a pay cut and stay as the #2 or be waived?

240794[/snapback]

That's possible - but all of the reports seem to suggest otherwise, that it wasn't a question of a pay cut so much as Drew being content being the #2 guy... I don't get it, why not just force him?

I'm really arguing with myself here (which is very ICE-esq, I suppose), but I have to wonder:  why cut Drew?  why even tell him he's being demoted?  why not go into camp with an "open" competition, making Drew think he has a chance to win the job, then name Losman the starter right before the season starts?  then, at least, you have an experienced backup QB.  Drew's under contract, IMO it's not worth cutting him just to do him a favor... the team should come first.  Perhaps there is something else going on, I don't know - it just doesn't make sense to me.  The guy signed a contract.  You get almost no cap relief by releasing him - might as well force him to be a backup, it's not like he's known for creating QB controversies.  Also, now JP is gonna think the job is his and he doesn't have to win it.

Hmm....

240784[/snapback]

The reason is simple, if your holding out for JP, you lose alot by not giving JP the reigns very very early. JP needs ALL the reps with the 1st team as soon as possible to get good as soon as possible. A competition would have hurt JP's learning curve (see Eli Manning).

The reason is simple, if your holding out for JP, you lose alot by not giving JP the reigns very very early. JP needs ALL the reps with the 1st team as soon as possible to get good as soon as possible. A competition would have hurt JP's learning curve (see Eli Manning).

240801[/snapback]

Ok, again, when I say competition I mean "competition" = as in, JP is the starter, but Drew has to stick around and will end up as the backup. I don't think it's all that simple.

Huh?  It happens every single year.  I'd think it would be worse for "team morale" to release the guy...

240800[/snapback]

Can you show me an example where the starting QB, coming off of a winning season, goes into camp and loses his job to a 2nd year player? I don't think you can (but feel free to prove me wrong :lol: ).

CW

Hmm....

240784[/snapback]

no way...right now you get the whole team behind JP and you put all the pressure on him to get himself ready. he was thrown to the wolves last season (NE game) and it wasn't pretty -- that was an eye-opener and JP is the kind of kid who doesn't want to embarrass himself again.

it's the right move in a lot of ways. if JP sucks then we find out sooner rather than later. we already knew what we had w/ bledsoe....mediocrity.

and then there's the $2M against the cap that is saved by cutting DB.

Two reasons...

1. J.P. now knows that he is the starter. There is a difference in pre-season preparation in knowing that he is THE guy versus the possibility that he COULD be the guy. TD has always been a firm believer in knowing who your QB is and avoiding any kind of off-field distraction. That's why, sad to say, I predict that he will NOT bring in someone like Brad Johnson or Jeff Garcia. Rather, I expect a low key acquisition like Charlie Batch or Kordell Stewart -- capable backups, but not really likely to compete for the starting job.

2. They wanted to treat Drew with some class and give him the best opportunity to latch on with another team as the starter elsewhere. So while other teams are trying to figure their QB situation out, Drew will have a leg up on the competition for a starting job in Dallas or Cleveland.

Hmm....

240784[/snapback]

All last off season the Bills said they supported Bledsoe and were looking for some improvement. He played much better this year, with new offense, team mates and coaching staff. They did not really give him a fair shake. Releasing him is a huge mistake.

Hmm....

240784[/snapback]

1. The job was JP's the day he was drafted by the Bills,

the only question was when would he be ready...

the master plan said 2005.

2. Drew was re-signed as a stop-gap to hold down the fort until JP was ready.

3. Sometime after last season was finished, TD & staff determined that JP was ready.

4. TD told Drew that JP would be the starter in 2005 as planned.

5. Drew forgot what the master plan was & threw a hissy fit.

"NO NO NO, this is my team. I won't be the back-up.

Obviously, we have to execute better in big games, but it just wasn't my fault"

6. TD told Drew "So long, good luck, & goodbye".

Simple as that. :lol:

Can you show me an example where the starting QB, coming off of a winning season, goes into camp and loses his job to a 2nd year player?  I don't think you can (but feel free to prove me wrong :lol: ).

CW

240805[/snapback]

Why does it matter if it's a QB? Doesn't strike me as too different from the Henry/McGahee situation.

1. The job was JP's the day he was drafted by the Bills,

the only question was when would he be ready...

the master plan said 2005.

2. Drew was re-signed as a stop-gap to hold down the fort until JP was ready.

3. Sometime after last season was finished, TD & staff determined that JP was ready.

4. TD told Drew that JP would be the starter in 2005 as planned.

5. Drew forgot what the master plan was & threw a hissy fit.

"NO NO NO, this is my team. I won't be the back-up.

Obviously, we have to execute better in big games, but it just wasn't my fault"

6. TD told Drew "So long, good luck, & goodbye".

Simple as that. :lol:

240827[/snapback]

I hear ya, but why isn't your Number 6: TD told Drew "Tough stojan, you're now the backup. Feel free to retire if you don't like it."

Come to think of it, THAT'S IT - Drew probably told TD he'd retire if he wasn't the starter. I think that's what happened.

Why does it matter if it's a QB?  Doesn't strike me as too different from the Henry/McGahee situation.

240862[/snapback]

McGahee didn't go into camp as the number 1 guy last year, he took the job due to injury. Completely different than the DB/JPL issue, where JPL is (if rumors are true) being handed the job without proving anything on the field first.

CW

McGahee didn't go into camp as the number 1 guy last year, he took the job due to injury.  Completely different than the DB/JPL issue, where JPL is (if rumors are true) being handed the job without proving anything on the field first.

CW

240875[/snapback]

Why does it matter whether it happens in camp versus later on in the season? I don't think it has anything to do with "morale." I've answered my own question - I think Drew threatened to retire otherwise, which was essentially an ultimatum.

Furthermore, McGahee didn't take the job due to injury.

I hear ya, but why isn't your Number 6:  TD told Drew "Tough stojan, you're now the backup.  Feel free to retire if you don't like it."

Come to think of it, THAT'S IT - Drew probably told TD he'd retire if he wasn't the starter.  I think that's what happened.

240865[/snapback]

Could very well be.

Why does it matter whether it happens in camp versus later on in the season?  I don't think it has anything to do with "morale."  I've answered my own question - I think Drew threatened to retire otherwise, which was essentially an ultimatum.

Furthermore, McGahee didn't take the job due to injury.

240878[/snapback]

How can you say WM didn't take the job due to injury? TH started the season. TH got hurt. WM played... very well. TH never got to start again. Hell, even TH is saying the job was taken from him!

And why would DB threaten to retire when there's a bunch of teams who will sign him? That doesn't make any sense.

:lol:

I feel like I'm reading a Bizarro comic strip or something.

CW