October 28, 1959

chris heff

Today is the day Buffalo was awarded AFL franchise. Caused much joy and misery.

"Ralph Wilson, who owned a minority interest in the NFL's Detroit Lions at the time, initially announced he was placing a team in Miami, but like the Seattle situation, was also rebuffed by local ownership; given five other choices, Wilson negotiated with McGroder and brought the team that would become the Bills to Buffalo. Buffalo was officially awarded its franchise on October 28. During a league meeting on November 22, a 10-man ownership group from Boston (led by Billy Sullivan) was awarded the AFL's eighth team.[10] On November 30, 1959, Joe Foss, a World War II Marine fighter ace and former governor of South Dakota, was named the AFL's first commissioner. Foss commissioned a friend of Harry Wismer's to develop the AFL's eagle-on-football logo. Hunt was elected President of the AFL on January 26, 1960."

Edited by chris heff

So my drinking problem starting 31 years before I was even born.

I was born almost simultaneously (within days), and all my troubles now have an explanation. (As does much joy, but that's so hard to remember...)

That was funny.

Chris, thanks for sharing as I didn't know this was the day.

Your welcome, I didn't know today was the day either, my wife told me. Today is her birthday, when I wished her happy birthday, she told me it was also the Bills birthday. She knew this because one of my cousins posted it on Facebook. My wife is not from Buffalo, she is a Bills fan by association.

My father had season tickets from the beginning he and my brother went to the first game. I went to a lot at the Old Rock Pile and some momentous games at the Ralph. I don't regret one moment of the ride.