A lesson in team building... from the Bengals.

The Bengals have done 3 main things to get to this point

1. stability with coaches/systems when possible (Gruden and Zimmer left for HC positions but they stayed course with the HC)

2. Identified a QB and exercised patience in his development

3. Hit on draft picks (especially in the mid-rounds like Geno Atkins and Marvin Jones)

I'm FAR from believing EJ can reach Dalton status...Especially 2015 Dalton...But unquestionably this is something the Bills failed at miserably with Manuel...We may never really know how much of his inconsistencies are due to mishandling...But I'm pretty certain it's a fairly significant factor...That was a 1st round pick at QB...It could have been handled better for sure... B-)

The Bengals have done 3 main things to get to this point

1. stability with coaches/systems when possible (Gruden and Zimmer left for HC positions but they stayed course with the HC)

2. Identified a QB and exercised patience in his development

3. Hit on draft picks (especially in the mid-rounds like Geno Atkins and Marvin Jones)

Very good summary. The Bengals are on the path for a 5th straight playoff appearance. So far this year they are one of the top 5 teams in NFL. Who knows how it will go when they get to the playoffs. They certainly appear to have a shot to make the Super Bowl. The way the league is structured, it's unlikely for any team to be in the conference championship / Super Bowl for a 4 - 5 year stretch, Unless you're cheating.

To me a "Model Franchise" is a team that puts together a nucleus of key players, including the QB, and stable coaching staff to compete for the playoffs year in and year out for a 5 - 10 year stretch. And have the top end talent to make a Super Bowl run at some point within a prolonged period of success. The Bengals have yet to make a run in the playoffs, but they have made the moves to be in position to do so.

Other teams who have followed the 3 points in YOLO's post over past 5 -10 years. Packers, Giants, Ravens, Steelers, and Seahawks. Super Bowl is not guaranteed for any team. Until the Bills follow the basics of good scouting, stable system, and commitment to QB our playoff drought will continue.

The difference is that the Bengals took a QB in the draft that has played well. The Bills had the opportunity to draft that player and chose not to. All else is window dressing. The QB is what matters in this league now, defense is not as important as in the past. The other analysis here is unnecessary. The Bills continue to search for a QB because they didn't spend enough higher picks on the position until they found one.

They just draft really, really well.

That they do.. But long term vision and working towards that, is a fairly strong component. We have had so much ship jumping when seemingly sinking, how would we know what commitment means

The difference is that the Bengals took a QB in the draft that has played well. The Bills had the opportunity to draft that player and chose not to. All else is window dressing. The QB is what matters in this league now, defense is not as important as in the past. The other analysis here is unnecessary. The Bills continue to search for a QB because they didn't spend enough higher picks on the position until they found one.

thats a lazy answer Boat.

Bills under previous admins screwed themselves and the Bills future by waiting till Nix HAD to draft a QB.

I dont think its the be all end all to the hope for a run though.

To me a "Model Franchise" is a team that puts together a nucleus of key players, including the QB, and stable coaching staff to compete for the playoffs year in and year out for a 5 - 10 year stretch.

Plain and simple is you must have a franchise QB to become a "model franchise". That's all. With the QB in place, you'll automatically have stability in the coaching and everything else. You'll be able to draft past the 25 position each year and it really won't matter and be praised for "great drafts". I don't remember the last time a true franchise QB's coach or GM fought for their job and if he did, then they didn't have a QB playing like a true franchise QB.

This is where the Bills failed. They thought a franchise QB was just going be appear. Drafting a QB every year should have been priority #1.

Isn't it way more than that? I think I heard only 4-5 players on their entire roster played for another team before the Packers.

The 64% number are the players on the roster that play on the team that they selected in the NFL draft. That number goes way up when you add the undrafted free agents they picked up over the years that currently play on the roster.

They are the best front office in the game today.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever